Department of Family and Community Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Family and Community Services Management reviews

Australia29 reviews
I really enjoyed working for DCJ (FACS) If the government had not transferred housing to community housing, i would definitely still be working with them and was really sad to see the team i was working with split. Great support from management and seen many good outcomes with clients. Flexible working hours. I looked forward and loved going to work every day.
Wouldn’t recommend working for that sector. Well at least at my old workplace. Such a negative environment. Two faced colleges. Overall was a cruisey job
No job security and no management accountabilities for make amy decisions or seeking an optimum outcome for families and our community. A government agency wasting enourmous amount of money fighting amongst them selves. Management and director level shakeup is needed to cleanse bad habbits and poisonous culture.
A typical day at work consists of attaching documentation to the system and assessing clients situations. I have learned I am very resilient. Management is supportive to the workers, however sometimes make decisions not understanding how the caseworkers have been working with the families.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
too much paper wrok
I loved working here as there was wide range of options and opportunities to learn new skills. The infrastructure was always up to date and management was very helpful in all respects.

Great working environment
Pros
Flexible hours, easy commute
Cons
Nothing I can think of
Management very professional. Good training. The workplace is like other companies, different people, different behaviours but considering the whole picture is good enough. Most of the workers have been there longer so there are a lot of professionalism and too much to learn.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Low rates
I found everyone very friendly and easy to get along with. Everyone in our team worked very hard to get the job done and management were always approachable, supportive and appreciative.
Good learning experience.
Good management.
Learned a lot of skills to work with people with disabilities.

Good shift work
Pros
good human resource department
Cons
sometimes bad management
Great place to work, fun friendly and great culture.
Supporting management along with great perks and benefits.
Training and Learning opportunities are also great
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Department of Family and Community Services?
FACS continues to chnage dramatically as it moves towrads a more 'out source' service provider model. FACS and in particular public housing staff and its cleints are feeling that they are not valued by the organisation.
Pros
My colleagues are great, highly skilled and driven to make real cange in peoples lives
Cons
Poor senior executive leadership.
Currently going through a restructure which has been severely paralizing to the workforce. Poor Management, who set no direction and are removing skilled resources without reason. Lower level staff are fantastic.
Diverse range of tasks to deliver in one day. Included field work, to work as part of a team, and individually . Developed and learned to work with clients from a diverse cultural background, disabilities and substance abuse issues. Management can be supportive and also challenging, but overall small amount of politics, but this is to be expected working in the Public Service. Great Staff to work with from different employment backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is meeting tight deadlines, KPIs and managing complaints and challenging clients with disabilities or substance abuse issues. The job is rewarding, good balance of job/family life, supports single parents, good salary package and superannuation, good holidays/flex days.
Pros
good lunch breaks, salary and holidays
Cons
Fluctuating hours and somtimes long (Overtime)
Management of the delivery team to ensure that projects are delivered successfully. Support all aspects of delivery from project start to delivery of final presentation. Creation of all marketing materials, strict adherence to project timelines. Effectively interface with internal teams (fielding, delivery), ability to work with delivery teams working remotely. Ensuring project objectives are met and findings are presented with a high degree of professionalism, in a timely manner to ensure that clients are delighted with the work we do and the manner in which we do it.
1) A typical day at my previous employer was being a receptionist. Answering incoming phone calls, greet visitors/staff at the reception. Filing, typing, catering for meeting venues and liaising with multi-disciplinary team.

2) Department of Family and Community Services deals with disadvantage families. I learnt confidentiality. discretion, empathy and not to be judgemental.

3) Management was great. Personal planning and review monthly was put in placed in order to accommodate staff such as myself for further training and development.

4) There was no hardest part of the job as I have been accustomed to multi-tasking. I believe that my time management skills helped me cope with any given job. I offer assistance whenever necessary without compromising my own workload. It was challenging and rewarding at the same time.

5) The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to perform my duties as it helps my team to make their job more manageable ie filing, maintenance of motor vehicles, photocopying, meetings and maintenance of databases.
Pros
Flexible lunch hours
Cons
None ... :)
Fun friendly work environment learning new skills and how the operations of housing people of NSW is done. Management is great to talk to if you need assistance with anything.
Pros
Friendly people