Department of Finance
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Finance Management reviews

Australia17 reviews
Finance has three 'sub departments', these were their own departments in the past, Office of State Revenue; Government Procurement; and Building, Management and Works.
Pros
opportunities for temporary placement, in different locations, and services
Cons
Some offices are not in the CBD
Department of Finance offers a range of positions from State Revenue, Government Procurement, Strategic Projects, Building Management and Works and Corporate Services
Management was bad. I was bullied at my first job trying to get back into the work force. I was a sole parent. This was a government job
and the boss with other staff rang me at 11pm at night from a night

club. The call woke my 2 small children up and I had to go to work

the next day. For me it was a bad experience and I feel that it was a joke on me. I heard discrimination for the first time in my life. Two bosses were standing next to my desk and I over heard them say, the fat one with all the experience or the blond who couldn't type. Something I have never forgotten. They chose the blond. These people have all moved on to advancement.
Fun and interesting work. Flexible shifts, comfortable conditions, just a pity it's not full-time. Rate of pay is good and management is friendly.
Department of Finance was an interesting department to work for. Benefits were great with access to corporate health fund plans, Employee Assistance Programme and also opportunities to Salary Sacrifice for a range of purchases.

I love a challenge and sometimes found that upper management weren't keen to allow us to engage in roles that would further our skills and enhance our opportunities for advancement. I found the people I worked directly with to be fantastic but again upper management were not really up to date with the current processes that would help make our jobs run smoother and so that did hamper our ability to deliver our service efficiently.

A typical day at work involved dealing with personnel files - both creation and preparation for transfer to other enterprises. File creation, document scanning, archiving of old files and performing quality assurance on a wide range of items. Creating spreadsheets, managing stationery orders and the retrieval and disposal of files to offsite storage.
Pros
Great working environment, close to almost everything in the CBD.
Cons
Lack of opportunities for advancement, no higher duties to enhance skill level/employment prospects.
Left due to end of contract
I felt there were too many management positions and was confusing who you were to answer to and was given conflicting instructions.
On the computer nearly all day doing data entry file searches.

My co-workers were good to work with at one time every afternoon we would all get-together and to exercises and have a good laugh.

I worked at a warehouse with on natural light.

Some of the management thought that they new everything and would treat some of us trouble.

I don't think that there was a hard part of the job, I thing any job is what you make off it

Most off my colleges were a joy to work with so if every one works together there shouldn't be any hard parts of the job
Pros
No free lunchers or anything ealse
Cons
No cone
Gained valuable Finance experience working on ORACLE Financials to support Accounts Payables and Supplier Management
Pros
Flexible Working hours, close to home
Cons
Government job cuts.
It was an absolute pleasure to go to my work place every morning on week days, where I meet and greet very friendly enthusiastic supervisors and co-workers! I miss their pleasant, smiling faces very much! As a Senior Project Officer responsible for project management of construction of buildings pertaining to government institutions and for the development of on line project and contract management system, I had to carry out a huge work load including liaison with all the stakeholders involved, researching, analysing information, reporting etc. However, being a hard worker and a fast learner, I was able to discharge my duties efficiently and effectively meeting all deadlines.
At times, when there were too many meetings, It was sometimes a bit difficult to complete my work without staying after office hours. However, "Flexi Time" helped me to meet deadlines and complete my work to meet expectations of my supervisors and also to take time off from work to have a good work-life balance.

I really enjoyed the fact that I was able to work very comfortably in a multi-disciplinary & multi-cultural team.

I thoroughly enjoyed learning the systems and procedures at my work place. I appreciate learning new things. Also learning about the cultural differences, values and beliefs of my colleagues of other cultures!
Pros
Lots of Morning Tea!
Cons
Lots of cakes and sweets! :)
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Department of Finance?