Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

11: Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Employee Reviews

Australia11 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

An ok place to work

It was a good team environment, they were fun to work with and socialize. Some of the management were good fun as well, lunches and Friday drinks were nice way to end the week.

Productive place to work

Great place to work. A productive and fun workplace with driven team members. I developed many key skills to build my administration skillset. Had contact with lots of amazing people.

Very interesting

Huge range of different career options. Gives you the opportunity to be influential in how your country is represented overseas. Tough to get in, tougher to stay.

Fun Workplace to work

Typical Day us processing Passport Applications Learn everything about Passports Management we good to work with Very Good team that I worked with.

Terrible workplace culture

Terrible. Everyone is just in it for themselves and to get their next posting. No one is interested in improving the Department and risk upsetting someone which might jeopardise their chances for a posting.

Pros

You can get posted and have amazing experiences.

Cons

Terrible work culture - full of gossip and taking others down to get on top.

productive and we share any activities as a team work

* a typical day at work is I usually start my work at 8.00 am , collaboratively plan my day ,and make sure that the most urgent work gets done first. I tend to complete the most important work first. * I learn a new things almost every day as a team work * the management is very co-operative/very and I always ready to help if needed. - workplace culture is very organised , and relax sometimes we all go to lunch to gather and every week we have morning tea together. * the hardest part of the job is work on the week end and is hard to say NO * the most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the month we always celebrate our achievement To get it done on time under high pressure and appreciation of the same.

Pros

sometimes we organised get together to discuss for the future plan activities

Cons

work long hours and stay back even on the w/e sometimes is hard to say no

Interesting and insightful

Interesting and unique workplace that offers a great insight into the workings and priorities of the government. Provides excellent opportunities to live abroad.

Pros

Travel

Cons

Competitive culture

Work was great, but too much politics

Great work Interesting but demanding Travelled a lot overseas Politics and red tape always places barriers in front of you to get the job done efficiently Worked with a lot of great people Management always had their future more important than the people who worked for them. Learnt a lot about myself and others.

Very productive in producing the data.

•Managed the bi-annual Survey for Other Government Departments (OGDs) expenditure data and the input of said data into the Budget process and for Advanced Questionnaire DAC Reporting for Actuals, Expected Outcomes and Future Estimates for Budget. •Performed high quality statistical client servicing and scoping of new ODA eligible activities. •Liaised with OGDs on aid expenditures, including scoping for new ODA eligible activities. Ensured that accurate and comprehensive data on OGDs expenditure is available for production of the DAC Reporting and Aid Budget Statement. •Provided accurate and timely statistical information on Survey results. •Performed tasks in AidWorks - system (Updated/uploaded/generated spread sheets for each department and checking the correctness and consistency of the expenditure data). •Demonstrated superior Excel skills in collating the OGDs data for the budget process. •Responded to ad-hoc statistical requests from both internal and external clients. •Worked diligently, co-operatively and effectively with other staff and applied the values and code of conduct established under the Public Service Act. I have enjoyed working in this organization with our team. •Treated everyone with respect and courtesy in a professional manner. •Assisted/answered OGDs questions with the OGDs survey and organized/attended meetings. •Attended training and seminars conducted by the office.

Pros

Free healthy allowance

Cons

Worked longer hours if needed

Goverment work Place

Great co-workers, working in govermnet fedral, best part would be meeting different people and the different backgrounds

Passport Officer at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Sydney and Canberra

My job at the Passport Office was very interesting and every day I encountered something different and new.I learned a lot in those years.The most enjoyable part of my job was to help Australian citizen to get their passports, often they needed them as soon as possible. This was not always very easy. I was also on call and we were called on weekends and public holidays to issue passports.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?