Department of Home Affairs - Australian Government
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Home Affairs - Australian Government: 5 Employee Reviews

Australia5 reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Hardest part of the job

The hardest part of my job is to always verify that i have approved an appropriate fingerprint for id applications. Making a mistake with this might put someone's life in debts or even more harm. This can even put myself in danger of loosing my job. But i always do my best.

Productive and enjoyable environment

Working at Home Affairs offers many challenges with a broad exposure to Government based services. It is a large department with a lot of opportunities.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

nil

As per last review. Organisation is going backwards in qaulity of people and working conditions and standards.

The department is like beast our of control. People above making their own determinations on your workplace agreement. little support. Very fast to stop allowances at the first opportunity. One needs to network with key people to get anywhere. They do not care if you leave after spending spent tens of thousands training

Productive and engaging place to work

The Department of Home Affairs is an interesting Department to work for. It is a serious culture that impacts on society. You get a sense of pride working for the Department.

used to be fun place to work, but since merge with Customs the place has turned upside down.

After merging with Customs, all initial senior management staff had been pushed away and they had been replaced by people from Customs and Defence. Since then the senior management has been taking a hardline approach towards staff with staff cutting and salary freeze, which has resulted in a huge loss of quality staff and lowest salary for most APS classifications. Basically they ask staff to work twice as hard as they used to but with less reward in comparison with other agencies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Home Affairs - Australian Government. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8