DEPARTMENT OF HOME AFFAIRS
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

DEPARTMENT OF HOME AFFAIRS Employee Reviews

Working at home affairs is very challenging in a sense that you have too deal with different characters on a daily basis and accommodate clients moods
Pros
Reasonable working hours
Cons
Collaborative colleagues
The Department of home affairs is good department to work for but needs to improve the culture, management and encourage employees to study further. .
I was a hard worker and listened to my senior and manager. I was a very professional and egenetic person and listened to my mentor when she teaches me work, I am willing to work if they offer me a job.
Too much risk involved because you work with confidential information.
Lot of work but less resources.

Worked with fun,productive and hardworking people
Home affairs is healthy working environment, where I have learn a lot of things, though is a bit challenging but I survived and I am willing to explore and learn more .
As this is a government department, there are a lot of processes and procedures for everything. The work environment is very stressful as you are servicing the public and are mostly reliant on other units to complete one task and that can prove to be very frustrating if you"re working with incompetent or demoralized people.

There isn't much room for creativity or growth as people resist change and new ways of doing things.
it was an okay place to work at, no room to grow in termsa of career but a great employee at it, staff were friendly and helpful.

sufficient training was provided
Those who does not know, will be thinking is good to work there. It was difficult to work with manager that don't trust themselves. With no experience and not willing to be advised.
Provide good client service and the time is reasonable just that no overtime payment but all in all the environment was good and the colleagues were very nice.
I managed to qualify for a diploma by attaining training which gave me more experience in work place.i enjoyed working there and ive larnt a lot there
It's a wonderful environment to work in. It's people-centred and caring. Patriotic, professional and having integrity. It's corruption free & Ethical. Efficient and innovative.
The Supervisor managed staff performance in line with applicable Performance Management Policy. Employees were well motivated to go extra mile to do their job.

I have learnt and acquired in depth customer care skills and professionalism when dealing with clients.

The organizational culture enhanced good code of practice where employees are trained to respect and to be honest when executing their duties on a daily basis.

The hardest part of job is where you have to deal with influx of clients seeking assistance for the day. Some clients were impatient.

Management praised their staff for their good work by using a very exciting strategy , like granting a good performer a flexi hours , buying lunch and day-off.
It's not a happy place but one has to work and it feels like you have to as you not sucessful when applying for other work as working for the dept a negative stigma.
They do not care about their employees the working condition is not conducive. The department is full of incompetent managers who does not see themselves as fellow colleagues to their juniors
It must be noted with great concern that most or either all Government Department are politicized. Expect any new development at anytime whenever there is change in Government Administration.
Its a very beautiful depertment to intern at because you tend to learn more about the basics needs of South Africa citizens and non-citizenz. If you want to learn more about peope, its a good place.
I have learned many things, such as working under pressure and independently. Without supervision and avoiding mistakes. Excellence was a culture. Problem Solving and supportive
Pros
Own expense
Cons
Normal hours
A typical day at work is Satisfactory Great culture, difficult clients
too many queues, government. however, people try their best and give it all.

Overall good exposure
I have found it nice and good place to learn and grow, you get to exposed in different cultures, challenging your abilities and finding your maximum potential. I loved it.
Pros
Travelling
Cons
It was nice working for the company I learned a lot of things like, communication. The most difficult part was dealing with a client that does not understand or is insulting u n knowing that you can't respond
Pros
Snacks on the house
Cons
It's challenging and productive at the same time the environment is nice, it's shift work so you get to balance between work and personal life and they provided transport.
Pros
Shift work
Cons
Delayed flights and unruly travellers