Department of Premier and Cabinet
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Premier and Cabinet Employee Reviews

Australia13 reviews
Enjoyed working, great team to work with, all helping each other.
What I liked most was work was flexible, great for families.

Not everyday is the same that's what makes the job exciting and interesting.
Great place to work and the work was rewarding and enjoyable . The team were a great bunch of people who all worked together to achieve the departments goals .
Pros
management, work
Cons
hot desk
Very cliquey. Young recently graduated uni students are writing policies and briefs with no business or life experience to draw on. No disciplinary action taken on staff who bully, under perform or go missing from work for hours. Some long term middle managers and staff are just cruising waiting on retirement. Place is over crowded.
Wonderful support staff and facilities. Different departments with opportunities for lateral movement within the various departments. Whilst I was there we were located on Salamanca and enjoyed access to the library.
I loved working for the DPC I have made many friends and enjoyed the work life balance this State Government department gave me.
My day was very busy with Directors meetings, travel plans and managing diaries. The time management was imperative as sometimes Ministerial came in form the Ministers office and had to stop and handle the matter urgently.
Pros
Cafe down stairs
Providing support to the Executive Director and Executive Business Support Team
Performing date entry and managing records in Connect Manager (CM) and CBM

Dairy Management for Executive Director and Executive Business Support Officer

Processing invoices in Ariba

Managing Stationery order, Catering, Meetings.

Onboard new staters with laptops, access passes, Inductions,

Managing cab charge

Director’s credit cards

Managing Files
one time when I was working in my previous role as a Project Officer, I acted as an Executive Assistant for a week while the Executive Assistant was away sick.
My manager asked me to help book a flight for her as she had to attend a meeting in Adelaide.

I never learned how to book travel for someone before so I took the opportunity to give it a go as I had the I can do attitude.

I called up the travel agency and asked for flights that are available and then gave the information to my manager and asked her what time and date she needed to travel so I can book a flight.

Once I had all the information I needed and confirmed my manager the flights that are available and got her to pick the flight that she prefered to go with.

I emailed the flight agency and gave them all the details that my manager gave me:

* Time

* Datte

* Desination

* and return date and time.

I felt very proud of myself as this was my first time, I noted everything down into a notebook so if I need to do this for someone else I know what to do.

I loved working for this company I felt very welcomed and we all treated each other like a work family which was nice and it made me want to come to work instead of a negative thought about going to work.
DPC provided me with invaluable training opportunity and expanded my skill set.

Working in Ministerial offices and at Parliament House allowed me to gain a good understanding of Cabinet and Parliamentary processes.
Excellent workplace and fantastic opportunities to expand expertise and knowledge across diverse portfolios. Opportunities to work with officers at all levels - from CEO to assistant - across all government agencies in WA and interstate, including the Commonwealth Government, and within the not - for - profit sector to seek input into and feedback on government policy decisions, to manage policy development, implementation and evaluation. Tremendous opportunities for innovation
Pros
Responsibility, intellectual challenges
Cons
Long hours and tight deadlines
Job isnt not big on indigenous development, when the main focus is indigenous development and land management. Good workplace but needs a revisit regarding roles
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
I am currently gaining advertising and government experience including Ministerials, Briefs, Objective workflow systems and enjoy working with the busy team of advertising professionals, graphics and design staff.
There is a good work/life balance among the team and excellent collaboration on projects.
Pros
Work/life balance
This program is the first of it's kind in the world to promote positivity in the atmosphere that G20 summits usually brings to each country. The Department of Premier and Cabinet encouraged a sense of community thru cultural celebrations, that is, Colour Me Brisbane Carnival that carried over 24 days with free activities for the people of Brisbane and it's international visitors.

ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAM

▪ Energetic

▪ Inclusive

▪ Diverse

Key Issues:

▪ Interference from DPC senior staff towards talent, that delayed my team from carrying out their responsibilities as per outlined

▪ Unclear structure's roles and responsibilities within the project by senior staff

▪ Unprofessional behaviour by DPC senior staff towards staff onsite;

Enjoyable part of the job:

1. I thrive off the high intensity of the environment that calls for quick-thinking, creative and logical solutions.

2. Confidence in myself and Brisbane's most skilled artists to create shows plus other various forms of entertainment that is of international standard.

3. Observing the joy, laughter and surprised expressions on thousands of people who came thru the George Street and Raddicliffe precinct activation area as they witnessed amazing talent that not only interacted with them, but also stage entertainment.

PROS

My position enabled me to offer local artists the chance to develop in creative and professional terms by working within a large, high profile public
 - more...
Cons
Much overtime due to myself being perfectionist in the delivery of such an event. Unpaid.
co-ordinate functions on the Premier's behalf and looking after guests of the government who are visitors to the State of New South Wales.
Pros
Satisfaction in the successful completion of events