Department of Social Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

Australia6 reviews
This is the only department I have ever worked in where one's pay goes down progressively over time, due to re-classifying positions that in 2016 were APS 6, which were then re-classified to APS 5, and finally (in the last month) to APS 4.. This is not at all conducive to a positive work culture.
Opinion/ what I learnt:

A typical day at work - check emails, set daily goals/number of outcomes for that day, attend meetings.

What you learnt - importance of work/life balance and self care when working in an office.

Management - if you don't ask you won't get, they are there to help

Workplace culture - everybody in the workplace contributes to this

Hardest part of the job - discovering how to manage work place conflict

Most enjoyable part of the job - seeing the workplace culture change and be more inclusive. The staff in the section/team I was in were lovely and very good at their jobs - excellent team work.
I was part of the organizing team of the Women's Day Commemorations. The idea of hosting this event was to increase women visibility and participation in matter that affect them.The commemorations were held in a remote rural setting because most rural women in our country do not know their rights as women.
That day l learnt that most women in rural areas lack empowerment opportunities.

As the organizing team of the event, we managed to give each other turns to present to the public. We hard a strong team spirit and we related with each other very well.

Lack of resources to give to the public was a major challenge we encountered since currently in our country we are facing some economic hardships.

I enjoyed talking to community members and sharing views with them .
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shortage of resources such as insufficient ICT materials
Any one who has worked in a government department knows what its like. DSS is just another one of those. The is slightly more flexibility in roles and responsibilities, but the big picture remains the same.
A typical day for me is to test water samples, look after sanitation services, and network with other councils in the area, and provide support to the rest of the team members. The workplace culture is fine and the hardest part of the job is system failures, but the most enjoyable part is the feeling i get at the end of the day when you can see your efforts have paid off for the community.
Excellent government department to work with . Management always look after their employees. They offered lot of training and support. Diverse culture. Very helpful management.