Department of Veterans Affairs
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Department of Veterans Affairs:

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Australia22 reviews
Genuine Public service culture, strong desire to understand client base and military culture .. was a positive environment to learn and serve public need
It was a pleasure and a privilege to work for Open Arms and help those who have served. Management and colleagues are supportive and foster a collaborative working culture. I would be happy to return to a similar role in future
An environment with a high number of change projects underway. Not all managed effectively and some resistance should be expected. Good people though, passionate about the people they serve.
Interview with DVA was very basic & easy, I would recommend the department to all age group also good for school leavers as a foot in the door to learn
Pros
Nil
Cons
Nil
A typical day would start with team meetings and daily goals. I worked for oawg office of Australian war graves . My responsibility would include site meetings with contractors and maintenance of war cemeteries across nsw that meant days away from family
Veterans are human like us.. Showing them time and care is what they need.

Challenging but rewarding role.

I would do it again working for the veterans
An outstanding place to work and grow in a career in Government service. If you don't like serving those who served (our veterans) then look for work elsewhere.
nil assistance from manager when needed, bullying and lack of acknowlegement of staff. lack of leadership and skills to work with staff. boring and repetitive work
Every day, it was essential to examine all incoming mail, review case load, contact clients or providers for any outstanding reports and other necessary information for investigations.
I learned the compensation processes necessary to get clients into payment. This involved several computer programmes, calculators and communication avenues.

Management was very supportive in up to date training, work/life balance and team well being and support.

Veterans Affairs is an equal opportunity employer and they value workplace diversity.

Some clients became quite emotional, particularly the clients with emotional and behavioural conditions. I embraced the challenge of ensuring everything possible is being undertaken to ensure their benefits.

Ensuring clients get their benefits was very rewarding. Also, working in a good team was enjoyable.
Workplace was good- Learnt a lot about Accounts Receivable at Royal District Nursing- team members very helpful- fun place to work for. Best part was the free lunches sometimes-
Pros
Free lunches and morning teas sometimes
Cons
Long train ride- 1 hour
Good benefits and pay for job expecations in comparison to private sector but antiquated work culture, little focus on genuine development of staff and mixed messages to staff on client service expectations
Enjoyed assisting veterans daily with their issues , interetung legislation and completing forms etc. muliskilling with my good interpersonal skills
I liaised by phone with veterans requiring transport to and from medical appointments. My functions in the team varied between taking calls from the veterans to planning routes for the hired vehicles so as to maximise economic efficiency without compromising the requirements of each individual customer.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Department is shrinking as numbers of eligible veterans declines.
The Department is a very good place to work at, as it offers lots of benefits and services to its clients. It helps a lot of veterans within Australia, weather it is medical, financial or care.
A typical workday for me was made up of management and planning meetings, consultation with business area plus the main part of my time was spent on developing and coding software solutions for business requirements.

I found this resulted in a well balanced day.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Occasional politics
To long ago to really remember but I was a clerical assistant and my main role was to move files on the computer from one department to another. It was a tedious job which is why I did not stay long
Pros
flexitime
Cons
boring work
Typical day is exactly the same every day as the work is very repetitive.
Culture is ok - hard to have job security when working as a temp.

Hardest part of the job for me is that the work is quite easy and boring.

Most enjoyable part is the flexible working hours.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Boring
High standards of service delivery.
High standards of ethical and professional behaviour by staff.

High quality office environment
Pros
Supporting the quality of life for ADF veterans
Cons
Bureaucratic processes
I was the Manager/Community Adviser for the Northern Rivers regional area from June 1994 till I resigned in Jan 2015. As the APS 6 leader of a four person out-posted team with a regional focus it was a great career and gave me a lot of highs as well as many lows but the veteran community were our focus and we did all that we could to provide the best client service we could.
Pros
Great team, great clients, great career
Cons
Long hours, city centric senior management
I loved my work at the DVA. The work was interesting and there were manifold opportunities to learn new skills and advance my knowledge on what I was already doing. The work culture was efficient and industrious, and client care was important to us.

My co-workers were friendly and helpful, and worked well in a team and by themselves. They were excellent with our clients, and would go the extra mile for them.

Above all, I enjoyed the variety that my position gave me: I was able to combine interesting legal administration tasks with customer service. I loved the opportunities that were afforded me to learn new skills and tried to take them on as much as possible.

The most challenging part of my job was the initially steep learning curve with regard to department policy and legal language. Once this was covered, however, it was very straightforward, and I found it all to be very interesting.
Pros
Set hours, friendly co-workers, interesting work
Cons
Few permanent positions; contracts can also be difficult to acquire
Working for DVA for 16 years has allowed me to meet an extraordinary client group.
Days are challenging as you deal with all sorts of people.

The best part of the day would be knowing you were able to assist someone and you have made their life a little better.

It was the kind of job where some clients truly touched your soul. These were the people that made you want to go to work.