Design and Build Recruitment
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Design and Build Recruitment Employee Reviews

I thoroughly enjoy coming to work every day, not only do I work with a large team of dedicated and specialised recruiters I am supported in my role and my goals for the future. Design & Build really do invest in their staff, they reward us for our efforts and always make sure we know we are appreciated. In return all they expect is 110% commitment and dedication from us. I am proud to work for this company and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to work for a fantastic brand.
Pros
Two hour lunch breaks, Great Incventives, Gym Membership
Back in 2017/18 when I worked there it was a much better place to what it is now, its gone down hill so much since. It's like 2 different companies. It's clear to see it's just lost its way. They have fallen behind the pack, by a long way and they are trying so hard to create an identity for themselves to stand out and it is just not working. Trying to differentiate between the competition and most clients, just don't care. recruitment is recruitmentThey want decent services at a fair price.
Pros
2 hour lunch breaks
Cons
outdated and behind the times when it comes to motivating and leading a business
I worked for the Sydney operation of D&B for a number of years, leaving in 2020. I spent some good years there however found the senior management style and general competency deteriorate over the final 12-18 months. Too many rash decisions, constantly change their minds, always moving the goals posts, very judgmental and not trusting. In previous years they could paper of the cracks with incentives and with a lot of what was good in the past now gone, it really has exposed the bad management. A business which was one of the leaders, has fallen very far behind their competition. Some of it they could change quite easily but allowing more flexibility, but fundamentally the micro managing style, reporting, watching and monitoring wont ever change and that's why they won't be the business they once were.
Pros
when compared to other similar businesses they are so far behind
Cons
cannot trust what is told in the interview is how it really is
they have about half the staff from a year ago, all left because of bad management and not a great culture to work in. Poor hiring decisions through covid have made it even a worse place to work with huge reduction in salary. There is hardly anyone left in the Melbourne office, and those that are, are all looking to leave as well. The MD of Design & Build cannot see the wood through the trees, makes bad decisions constantly.It's easy to make yourself look good during the good times and busy markets, however it takes a really good manager to navigate the tough times and this person has failed miserably at every attempt.The PSP brand is good, a nice bunch of people and a decent structure.
Pros
Psp
Cons
the director is driven by his ego and that causes him to make bad decisions
They sell it like its a fun flexible place to work but in reality it isn't at all. Micro management, no flexibility, they are your best friend when you are doing well but if you have a below average quarter they will immediately try and manage you out. I saw it happen time and time again. Then you have a good quarter and all is forgotten,.....until next time. no growth, no development, no training or upskilling opportunitiesjust get on the phone make me money and stroke* my ego
Pros
zero
Cons
toxic, kpi driven, micro management style
Was a good business with a good reputation and brand but sadly that has diminished over the last 18 months. Whilst I have been working here the staff turnover is one of the highest I know, close to 25 people have left, which is huge for a business of only 50 people and it keeps on getting worse. A really bad culture and led by the D&B director, which clearly has not worked. They needs to start again which they are close to doing because they have no staff left!
Pros
Cons
Bad culture, led by a micro manager
Listen to your staff, actually ask our opinion and then listen. You cannot change a culture from snr manager level, it doesn't work like that. Change the toxic culture by looking at your leadership styles, start leading from the front, get on the phone and win some business. Don't take it personally if someone doesn't agree with you, listen, trust our opinions because they are better than the poor decisions you have been making.typical day - you get mirco managed and "watched" closely culture is poorteam is really good and friendly hardest part of the day is pretending its a great place to workmost enjoyable part is leaving to go home
Pros
Its OK, but you do get treated like children
Cons
Bad management, poor leadership, big ego's, mixed messaging and no trust
I worked for DB for a couple of years and left last year. At the time the culture was Ok, not great but not terrible. The Sydney director came in to head up Melbourne as well and that's when it really took a turn for the worse. People who I know that still work there have said its got even worse. It's run really badly, what the director says goes, no negotiation, no discussion, hit your kpi's or I will manage you out. Oh and if you laugh at his jokes, find him funny, answer my late night texts you will be ok. His style is not an appealing one to work for, you never know where you stand and you cannot TRUST him one bit. Lots of lies and excuses for poor business decisions. If you have no other options then go ahead, give it a go but I would say do you own research and explore a little further as there are plenty of other options where you get treated like an adult and given flexibility, here you are not,
Pros
none worth mentioning
Cons
Snr management
On the face of it, everything looks good from the outside looking in, they paint a really good picture, it really sounds too good to be true. Then you start on day one and realise the culture is so bad, toxic in fact and the director running it is terrible. Tries to come across as a likeable nice person when in fact his communications is poor, he lies and misleads and when he has to make a "tough" decision he will say it's whats best for the company. Goes on and on about building trust which is ironic as I would not trust him to look after my dog. they talk about flexibility and leaving work on time and if you do leave on time the Director will pull you all up and say don't leave at 4pm, but then post on linkedin how everyone should leave on time Just not a nice person. There are some nice people there, but they are mostly only there because they have them tied to visa's. Dont believe the hype there are much better places to work.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
you have to report in to a narcissistconsul
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Design and Build Recruitment?
I have worked at Design & Build for over 6 months now and can honestly say I enjoy coming to work every day. The support you receive from management is excellent and the culture is second to none. The company continues to grow whilst sticking to its core values and I am excited to be a part of it for years to come. Could not recommend Design & Build more!
Pros
2 hour lunch breaks, fun culture, great management
Cons
There isn't any!
I have worked at Design & Build for a little over 6 months now. The difference between Design & Build and other recruitment companies I have worked for is the ability work with such autonomy. You are trusted and encouraged to run your desk in a way that suits you and your personality whilst also receiving support from your Direct Manager when required.
Pros
Great team environment, Gym Membership, 2 hour lunch breaks, Supportive Manager
I’ve only been at D&B for just over 3 months and, as normal, experienced the “pre-changing job jitters” prior to starting with them and learning a completely different industry to recruit for. However, my team and the managers could not have made for an easier transition. They are hugely welcoming and friendly as well as being highly professional. I really value the transparency and attitude of everyone working here. Time has flown by since I've been here and I could not be happier with the decision to join D&B.
Pros
2 hour lunch, Gym membership, Office culture is great - everyone gets on really well.
Cons
Honestly can't think of anything.
I came to D&B from a large, global agency and the difference could not be bigger. While you are given full support and ongoing training & development, you are trusted to manage your desk as you see fit. The culture here is one that D&B have spent a lot of time perfecting and you work within a team that genuinely want everyone to succeed. While we have great benefits, quarterly events, high achiever trips away, work/life balance and a handy two hour lunch – for me, it’s the team and the opportunities to grow that keep me here!
Design and Build is an amazing place to work, there isn’t a day that I ever dread coming in! I look forward to coming into work for a lot of reasons, 1. The support from management – they all have time for you and it’s great that you can speak to them at any time. As well as always given advice and being able to learn from them 2. The culture: everyone gets on and it’s a very close-knit office. D&B’s incentives are also unreal from trips to Hamilton Island, yachts, lunches and team building events. It’s a place where everyone feels welcome and I am so happy I work here.
Pros
2 hour lunches, Gym, Phone and Trips away
I joined Design & Build in 2018 and it’s been such an empowering and supportive environment to be apart of. From management to other consultants, help and support is always there when you need it. When I interviewed with D&B I spoke about the things I wanted to work on/training I needed, D&B listened and provided these opportunities to me! Further to this the culture is great and we get a lot of other amazing benefits. D&B is truly the best place I’ve worked!
Pros
2 hour lunch breaks, gym membership, close to public transport, supportive management and social events.
Cons
Na
I have been with Design & Build for over a year now, and I can honestly say I have never been happier in a job. I feel I am given autonomy to work within my role the way that I see best, whilst still given the support I need to maximize my own performance and develop myself and my desk. I have learned so much from being with the company, and have felt supported and appreciated by the management team from day one. I have always felt like any suggestion I have bought to the table has been listened to and taken on board, and I also feel that my personal progression is important to the leadership team. The job itself can be challenging - as can any recruitment role. The difficulties faced, exist in any recruitment role. I love working for a company that are so well branded and recognized; it makes the role easier knowing you are working for a reputable and ethical recruitment consultancy that clients and candidates respect. The fact that D & B care so much and put so much thought into their perception and reputation is a real important factor to me. I truly believe that as the culture is so fantastic at D & B, it is a major motivator for most of my colleagues, even in difficult times. I enjoy the company of the people that I work with and the social events that come with working at D&B are an added bonus. The most enjoyable part of my job is the way in which the teams celebrate their successes and lift each other up during those tough weeks.
Pros
The people, Gym Membership, 2 hour lunches, Company iphone, the social events
Cons
Very difficult to think of any
I have been with D&B for just over a year now & definitely the best employer I have worked for. They offer all staff every tool needed in order to build and maintain a successful brand. Ongoing training, development & career opportunities are always on offer, with support from managers and senior consultants to develop to be the best consultant within your industry. Everyone at D&B is experienced, knowledgeable and some of the hardest workers I have come across, along with being a fun, easy-going environment to work within. Multiple business events a year to celebrate team successes, monthly drinks, gym memberships and 7 hour work days are just some of the benefits. Overall a great company to be apart of.
Pros
2 hour lunch breaks, Monthly Drinks, Fun company events, Generous leave entitlements
Cons
Hard to think of any....
D&B is a great place to work with an excellent work/life balance, coupled with an excellent culture within the office. After starting work here I have been given both support, but also autonomy to develop the desk, with the benefit of a well established database and various social media tools. The 2 hour lunch breaks make it easy to make use of the free gym membership and stay healthy through the week!
Pros
2 hour lunch breaks, free gym membership, great culture.
Cons
Genuinelly can't think of any.
I have been with Design & Build for three years and I love it here. The management team are extremely supportive of career progression, the staff are friendly and welcoming, and the perks offered are one of a kind (not many businesses can say they get to fly interstate to celebrate End of Financial Year and Christmas!). I am lucky to have found such a great workplace and be a part of such a brilliant team.
Pros
Supportive Management, Great Office Culture, Corporate Gym Membership, 2 Hour Lunch Breaks
I have worked for a number of recruitment businesses both large and smaller boutique ones and Design and Build is by far the best I have worked for and probably will work for when it comes to recruitment agencies. They have a great brand for candidate and client attraction, give you all the tools to be successful and earn excellent commission that is always paid when targets are achieved. The culture within the business is very supportive and flexible, you manage your own desk your own way with the support from the Directors and team managers. Could not think of a better recruitment business to work for!
Pros
2 hours lunch break, 35 hour work weeks, flexible with leave 30 + days each year, social events, office and team rewards for exceeding budgets
Cons
Can't think of any
I have been working with Design & Build Recruitment since 2015 & have advanced in my career steadily since. Andrew McGregor has supported me in strengthening my client relationships & ensuring I am provided with constant training in my field. The culture is supportive & vibrant!
Pros
two hour lunch, free gym membership, supportive management team
Cons
No working from home policy