Disability Services Australia Employee Reviews

Disability worker
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bankstown NSW13 May 2019
DSA is a friendly team of staff with very approachable management they delivery of well trained staff for the clients that work with them and those that are unskilled are put through courses.
Pros
regular shift
Lot of politics
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 April 2019
look overall the company is fantastic to work for but the problem is the people (HR Management ) who runs the company are no good. I mean they create rules and new position as it suites them..My employment was terminated simply because I started coming in late but reason was after I got really sick and triggered my anxiety , So it was a struggle for me to get to work. leading up to my termination I was told that I breached a company policy. And mind you I did nothing wrong but yet accepted to do help one the supported employees outside of work. He sort of became my friend to me after working for so many years with him. So HR took that as breach of company policy. And because they gave written warnings for coming in late and breach of policy they terminated my employment last year. AS a result of that I lost my home , I had no where to live . i couldn't keep up with my bills and loans that i took out whilst i was working. Like i lost everything including my marriage. This is what i went through and i am still struggling on a daily basis and to find work .This is all because HR didn't believe me. Instead of helping me they thought it will be easier to get rid of me so i don't became a liability in the near future. My nearly 10 years of service to this meant nothing to the management. But ya still till this day i miss working there purely because of the supported employees. i miss working with them . I miss them in general and some of the staff i worked.with.
Pros
Cons
mind games
Demanding
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 December 2018
abusive clients, abusive managers.
No career progression as they are desperate for support workers.
Demanding schedule. Working all hours of the day, all days of the year. Goodbye personal life. You will get phone calls at 11pm for morning shifts, you will work from 8am till 11pm with 3 hour gaps in between shifts. Goodbye family and friends, goodbye your own health, goodbye holidays, you will not even have Christmas Day free.
Say goodbye to your life because “who will look after these sick people if you don’t”
Expect to work for 14 days straight with one day off in between.
Expect to have a panic attack whenever your phone vibrates because you probably have to run to work on your only day off.
For a company that prides itself in health they sure don’t care about their workers health.

Good income, reliable work.
So reliable that you will be worked to your bone,
but you will have lots of money so that’s a plus I guess. Money at the price of health and human rights.
Pros
Money
Cons
You will be worked like a working horse
Never Again
Lifestyle Mentor (Former Employee) –  Tamworth NSW23 October 2018
The job is challenging as it as, throw in an incompetent "manager", back stabbing staff, bullying, unreasonable demands, medication errors and angry clients - and you just want to walk out the door an never return.

I do not recommend working here and for this company. You will be left in the dark, and the support that they sprout in orientation, well that just goes straight out the window.
Pros
The Clients, Some Staff
Cons
This List Is Too Long.
A rewarding and caring environment
Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Robina QLD6 December 2017
This role provided an opportunity to be involved in caring for vulnerable persons in the community.It involved working with teams to successfully assist others.
Pros
Community access
Cons
Shift work and weekends
An all-inclusive workplace
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 October 2017
Disability services Australia is a Customer-focused NDIS Disability Service Provider. Work at DSA is always fun, Management is sound, work culture is all-inclusive. The hardest part of the job is what applies mostly to all work environments-different daily challenges and the most enjoyable part is that everyone works towards the same goal.
Productive and friendly workplace
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Condell Park NSW24 August 2017
Start at 7.30pm finish at 4.25pm
Labelling, collating, picking and packing
Packing items in boxes. All by hand.
The management very polite and courtiers
Pros
Bbq once a month
Cons
Long hours and long travel time
It's a great place and a fun place to be at
Process Worker (Current Employee) –  Seven Hills NSW6 August 2017
This is where im working now
twice a week Monday and Fridays enjoying the work there
Have heaps of friends there
Its a great place for people with disabilities and have a chance to work on the outside of the community
We do icing and putting the reject ones aside
Do rhino racks for cars
Labeling
Etc
Pros
Sometimes buy lunch or take my own lunch
Cons
9am to 3pm
Great place to work with great salary benefits
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW26 June 2017
Great place to work however management needs reforming. Great money due to salary sacrifice. Great working with the customers and makinf a difference in their lives.
Pros
Salary sacrifice great training
Cons
Too much work not enough staff
Working at DSA
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 June 2017
I am new to this field but I am happy to work and gain new knowledge about working with disabled people. It makes me happy to see them happy under my care.
Queensland government job in disablities.
Disability support worker (Former Employee) –  Ipswich qld21 April 2017
Started with DSQ in 2000 which was a natural progression for myself as disablities was always a part of my life and found it an easy transition to start working with people with a disablity.
Pros
Helping people with disablities.
Cons
Constraints of working within the government system.
fun to play cards
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Mascot NSW20 February 2017
enjoying working with people
friendly and helpful
committed to all task
working as a team member in an administrative.
Pros
to be on time at lunch break
Cons
Highly challenging but very rewarding
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Blacktown NSW5 February 2017
Customers would arrive at centre and have their morning tea some were non verbal so communication at times was a challenge. Then you would start the programs they or their careers had chosen for them, organise money if on outing and make sure lunches were heated up if necessary. Some customers needed personal care done, when needed and some medications had to be administered. At times it was fast paced and with some of the less functioning customers was a major challenge to engage. The most rewarding part of the job was to be able to engage the customers in something they enjoyed and putting a smile on their faces.
Pros
You got to get out in the community with the customers
Cons
Some shifts would be long and stressful
Support worker
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 November 2016
The managers are completely incompetent. From giving staff 1 hour shifts, to forgetting to organise support for customers, to not having enough staff and forcing the current staff to work for up to 10 days straight...
Completely horrible.
Also no respect or team management. Managers talk down to employees like they are idiots.
Serious place, not much to enjoy
Warehouse work (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 November 2016
Typical warehouse work, lifting a lot of objects

Learned to adapt accordingly to the environment, depending on what skills were needed at that time and place

Never really talked to co-workers

The job itself was difficult, especially without a shower after sweating, but somewhat manageable

Vending machine
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Goulburn NSW25 September 2016
Recently stopped working for DSA (Disability Services Australia) as a casual support worker. Assisting with their needs. Doing Personal Care, taking the clients to appointments or place/ activities they want to go to, making them breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Making the clients beds, cleaning the home care house, doing other duties within the workplace.
Not enough work
Casual Residential Care Officer (Current Employee) –  Wacol21 June 2016
Most of the houses are ok. Most days are very physically demanding with the chance of being assaulted. Overall a good place to work.
A workplace that is goinfg through changes due to the NDIS
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Goulburn NSW18 June 2016
I start the day picking up a client from a farm property that her family live on. At the Day Options program centre involved in different roles to enhance the lives of those with a disability. Some of our clients have high behaviours. So Conflict Resolution is important. I have learnt mostly from the clients I support. As there are major changes due to the NDIS being introduced on the 1st July.

I feel that even though DSA Management say they are ready for the NDIS changes. There is still a lot of learning to be done by all concerned.

My co-workers work hard and due to a high turn over, many are still learning their roles and are new to the disability sector.

The hardest part of the job is working with violent clients. As a male, I am often placed with such persons.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that those with a disability are the most honest people to work with.

The reason for the move to Brisbane is due to my son and daughter in law are due to have their first baby in September. As a grand parent I feel it is important to live close to them and both my wife and I can support our new grandson when he is born
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Work culture
Rewarding and enjoyable career
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bomaderry NSW7 June 2016
While working with DSA I found that Disability Support it is a very rewarding and satisfying job.Helping clients with their everyday lifestyle tasks such as, meal prep, personal care, socialising (community outings), keeping in contact with friends, family and loved ones made the job so much more worth it. Everyday tasks such as the basics can be slightly difficult, moderately difficult or almost impossible for some people with a disability, being able to help even in the slightest way makes it worth it. DSA was a wonderful company to work for, as their main focus was on the needs of each individual clients being met and that they were kept safe and healthy and were getting what they wanted out of life. Whether it was to see more NRL games, got to more KISS concerts or visit the local coffee shop more.
Pros
Knowing that I am helping somebody live their life more comfortably
Cons
Shift work
Summary
Day Options Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 April 2016
A typical day would be improving the lifes of people with a disability. I have learned tones from very experienced managment and co workers in the field. The hardest part of the job is always staff and the most enjoyable is the freedom to innovate and focus on customers needs