Disability Services Commission Employee Reviews

Productive and positive workplace
Policy Officer (Current Employee) –  Perth WA3 March 2018
I work in Policy, my experience with DSC has been supportive and friendly teams, with individuals passionate about making a difference to the lives of people with disability
Pros
Salary, flexible hours, supportive workplace
Cons
My work History with the commission over all was great job
Domestic (Former Employee) –  Maddington WA20 February 2018
I worked for Disabilities commission for 14 years.
My job was very rewarding working with staff and clients memorable moments lot of laughs.
I trained in other roles which included computer training skills training as a domestic hazard reports within the group home..
The only reason i left my job at the Commission i was made redundant.
Pros
great working hours good pay
Cons
majority clients can be aggresive /Behaviour problem
workplace culture
Social Trainer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA18 August 2017
This company provides a professional service to people with disability and looks after its employees. All supervisors I worked with gave me clear instructions which helped to improve my working way day after day.
Pros
Supportive management staff
Cons
An excellent way to make a living was being part of a great team and bringing to the workplace a friendly and compassionate nature
social trainer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA13 June 2017
I enjoyed my position with the commission . I loved shift work. I loved that I made a difference to the people I supported.
I enjoyed the support with learning and development , i had a willingness to keep up to date with my skills by attending the courses that were available to us.
A typical day was showering the individuals, preparing and giving nutritious meals, supporting them with recreation and building and maintaining their skills.
The direction of the department was changing and that was very , very sad for the individuals, their families and the staff.
This became the hardest part of the job for me. We , as staff , were in that field because we cared about the people we supported but we were all getting moved around which provided no consistency . It was becoming very sad.
I took voluntary redundancy in March 2017.
Pros
it was a job that was a home away from home. was a family friendly organisation.
Cons
Only knowing my roster two weeks in advance .
Was ok
Social Trainer (Former Employee) –  East Victoria Park WA29 April 2017
Working conditions were reasonable, good learning opportunities, pay rate could improve! Supportive staff, nice individuals to work with! Houses in good locations
Challenging work place
Social Trainer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA17 February 2016
A typical day at work was very much predictable. The clients that I supported had their fixed routines that had to be followed.

I learnt a lot while working for DSC and I obtained my Certificate 3 in Disabilities. I was trained in manual handling, meal preperation, medication administration, personal care and record keeping.

My immediate supervisor was great. She was understanding and helpful. I found it difficult to deal with upper management because there were to many people in charge and never knew where you stood. My co-workers were great! They became part of my life and family.

The hardest part of the job was not to get to attached to the people I was caring for.
The thing I enjoyed the most was working as a team to make a difference to the lives of the people we were caring for.
Productive, dynamic work place.
Senior Project Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Perth WA5 February 2015
I am involved in policy drafting, legislative review and briefings, developing and operationalising procedures, etc. It is a positive, productive team environment to work in.
Pros
Postive environment
Cons
I am currently employed on a fixed-term contract
As described previously
Level 3 Social Trainer (Current Employee) –  West Perth, WA8 December 2014
As noted previously.Supporting people with disabilities is challenging yet rewarding. Take nothing for granted. Good management team. Fun colleagues. Hardest part of the job is learning to profile new admissions into emergency accommodation services. The most enjoyable part of the job is being personally and professionally rewarded for each success no matter how small.
Challenging work environment
Various roles (Former Employee) –  Various2 June 2014
Many committed people working to make a difference to people with disability, some great colleagues and interesting work. An organisation in a state of flux and changed.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
poor organisational culture
productive and fun place.
Social Trainer (Current Employee) –  Perth W.A.2 April 2014
I work within a team that enhances and respects the lives of individuals who display various forms of disabilities.It engages personal planning,decision making ,devising and implementing programs based on needs to interact within the community which can be challenging based on degree of health issues and emergency situation.Work under effective management and unsupervised. Communication, discussion, and feedback and report writing have been essential in the commitment within the co workers and myself to source and assist those individuals.
The hardest part, is to respond to an emergency with quick decision making or negotiating where there is conflict.
The enjoyable part, is to see some measure of happiness which respects the dignity of the individual.
Pros
Job satisfaction.
Cons
some rostered shifts.