Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews

been three months working for them. Very inclusive and respectful space. Has a lot of systems and management plans, therefore, it takes a while to get someone up to speed. They really care for internal referrals. A typical day at work starts at 7 am and finish it 3:30 pm and would likely take longer. Work is flexible and although they don't pay overtime I get to balance those extra hours by leaving early on a Friday or something. Not much cross-division technical support, since they all operate as separate business entities and one is on their own to solve problems but there's understanding that no one is a know it all. All in all, there are hectic days at work but I see Downer as my new home now.
Pros
Good salary, flexible hours, flexible working arrangements, inclusive culture
From gestapo like german supervisors (true. Two kraut supers) to overall culture the whole experience was pathetic. Couldnt have given a rats about their workers
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else.
Downer management at the time I was there approximately 7 yebetter9ars was a boys club very insular and nepotism was rife. Purcasing preferences within this company were given to suppliers who were giving the most benefits to those providing the orders, thus providing a lucrative overall package to those in the club. Not a good place to work if you are trusting and basically honest.
Pros
Fellow workers are frendly.
Cons
Management not consultative. Unrealistic targets.
Downer was a great company to work for, from the production crew, drill & blast, supervisors, superintendents & project manager. Highly recommended 😊. Was sad to leave them, I moved interstate
Pros
BBQs, Gifts, Xmas gift vouchers
Cons
Long roster
the best construction company i have ever vworked for.very family orientated.great supervision and the people you work with are like family.fantastic mess hall and great food
Management have a bully response to any real and genuine concerns as they find it easier to shut it down and belittle people with their arrogant attitudes rather than try to actually resolve real problems and issues. Lots of friends and relatives make it into roles that would have been better suited to other more qualified and experienced people. It is quite a depressing place to work and the staff turnover and absenteeism directly reflect that.
Pros
It pays the bills
Cons
Some of the management only have a position because they have a mate in a higher role, Some are just terrible and sad people that are way out of touch and lack basic people skills.
since I began to work for Downer learned a lot of skill, learned how use a variety of machines, that because happen after I got my tickets at Downer excavation,skide steer, roller, Chainsaw, etc, all this tickets enabled me to become multiskilled worker, as matter fact I am proud working for Downer
Bully team leaders. Never believe the lies about being bullied is not allowed ,they do it and let it happen. Team leaders will belittle you on site ,over the 2way and it's ok with management.
Pros
Cons
Team leaders are bullies.
Good organisation that is going through changes and and is keen to be competitive in the marketplace as well as deliver to clients. Good safety culture with regular interface with Senior Executives to review performance and initiatives.
Pros
Quick Access to decision makers.
Cons
Information flow sometimes slow and not complete.
It was a short term contract from HP to backfill a full time employee . Excellent corporate culture , good salary and Work life balance. Willing to work there again.
A typical day at work for me is experiencing new tasks and daily challenges.Working with qualified Tradesmen constantly teaches me new skills using power tools and refreshes my health and safety knowledge and the priority of my Duty of care daily when on site.Managements main priority is keeping employees safe with zero incidents and injuries and returning us all safely home to our families. Downer encourages a multicultural work environment.Adjusting to different shifts, especially night shift is the hardest for me. The most exciting part of the job for me is being able to work on a variety of mine sites and adapting to the surroundings.
Pros
Camp facilities
Cons
I am a Shutdown worker
Awesome company to work for Good people great culture, Management was helpful and welcoming All equipment available and in good condition stores was fully equipped with tools that was needed for the job.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Non i can think of
good working place. immediate boss however was not good to work under as he doesn't give any discretion. it will be advised that immediate managers should look at working proparly
Fast paced with well organized project management. Follow strict work safety guidelines and encourage employees to adapt to these guidelines. Opportunities for learning and growth.
You have got no hope of succeeding in this company if you're not related or in the click.... Extremely bad behaviour is tolerated if you're one of the group. I witnessed intimidation and bullying by all levels from management down to the extent that the poor bloke went on sick leave then resigned, and he was a permanent employee. You've got absolutely NO hope if you are a casual........
Working at Downer was definitely a learning experience if one is new to the industry and thrown into a situation where he/she is put in the deep end with minimal training and an understaffed team. There is little to no room for error, but with a plant that often breaks down and with miscommunication between upper/middle management running rampant, you will often be scapegoated into blame. Staff morale is incredibly low due to questionable pay-rate decisions, continual condescension from management, and a failing safety culture where injured staff are being coerced to attend work anyway. Overall, I would only recommend this workplace if you do not have any family or social obligations, and are desperately seeking new work experience.
All aspects of Injury Management. Relaxed working schedule, Flexible start Finish times to allow work life balance Safety first. Supportive Leaving Work Colleagues- always ready to assist.
Was a good place to work, great opportunity to up skills if you put in the hard work, only problem was the turn over of management, know one knew how long they world last, and all had to many objectives.
great team ,100% polices and procedures always felt safe and well looked after. always team toolbox start of day. dress code full ppe gear always. management guidance and encouragement . delivering a top product.
Great people to work with and interesting projects however financial renumeration that is often promised is not often followed through. I do like the company though and valued my time here.
Great place to work and good bunch of guys.. Well organised and easy approachable. Good safety procedure . Really care about employee safety and well being
  1. Employee Reviews