Downer Group Employee Reviews

About 3 years late to the party
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney17 May 2018
While a lot of companies have already experimented with outsourcing to offshore contractors, realised it doesn't work, and brought the roles back into local offices - Downer is only just beginning this experiment and there is very little job security.

The office in North Ryde is basically the same as any other North Ryde/Macquarie Park office, the pay is around average, sothere is not much incentive that separates it from the many many other corporate jobs in the area. Accept that it is particularly slow, offers very little in the way of growth (both salary wise and personal development), and offers zero perks.

I would say it's good for someone looking for short time employment, but even then it's nothing special
Pros
Flexibility (though not all departments are flexible)
Cons
Unsecure; no development; slow moving; no perks/incentives
loyal bosses
scaffolder/yards person (Former Employee) –  Barrow Island WA13 August 2018
I liked working with loyal people who knew their job. I was always busy a lot of different tasks involved each day stacking packing and putting equipment away loading and unloading trucks it was very physical work that's why I enjoy it so much I did learn a lot of different and ongoing responsibilities workplace culture was very good
Pros
kept busy at all times
Cons
being away from family
Engineering company moving to Tier 1 Contracting
Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD13 March 2018
Downer's move away from construction and engineering to become a tier 1 contracting company managing subcontractors was at odds with the regional "hands on" offices throughout Queensland. (Not a criticism, merely an observation of a changing business.) Subsequently the regional Qld offices were drastically downsized.
Local management is a great support to the workforce.
Centralised management & systems were always heading in the right direction but never arrived.
Typically long days with great rewards both financially and in the sense of a job well done. Great camaraderie among the crews.
Hardest part of the job: Working within incomplete QA systems.
Most enjoyable part of the job: The people.
Worked on contract in JV in Brisbane, in Perth, and in Sydney
SUNSHINE COAST PROJECT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, Perth, Sydney22 November 2017
Overall a good responsible company to work for from a contract point of view. A typical day at work would be a meeting with the team I worked with to update where the project or tender was ahead or behind schedule and put measures in place to meet schedule. Then head down and do what I was contracted to do.

The work was enjoyable as most staff were prepared to help when necessary.

The company had a good safety, environmental, and quality culture.
Pros
Always felt comfortable with staff and management.
Cons
No treal cons. My contracts with Downer were usually short duration so difficult to make comment.
company lacks support and training
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA15 November 2018
company promotes its self as a tier 1 and is well structured but unfortunately this not the case. many personnel are struggling with the recently introduced systems however there is not support to train personnel.
Accounts Payble Supervisor
Accounts Payable Officer (Former Employee) –  perth20 June 2018
Great industry and wonderful suppliers.
Never a dull moment with a new challenge and project with each customer enquiry or request.
Fantastic corporate culture that is supportive and caring.
Good company to work for
QC co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Queensland16 December 2017
Good company to work for, with a very professional management team. Very diversified with job opportunities. Downer has the ability to draw on staff and resources internally from other projects to assist with delivery of projects ontime.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, job security is not forthcoming in my chosen field, however, Downer does make an effort to find alternative opportunities.
basketball
Intermediate Rigger (Former Employee) –  Perth WA,Sydney NSW,Innisfail QLD,Townsville QLD12 April 2018
: continues work for 6 day's with overtime
: improvement of my knowledge to work with and to share my
: knowledge to my co worker
: always updated for what is going on and what was happening
: good environment
: is to be a part of it to finished the job safe
Pros
free ute as a transportation
Cons
long hours with overtime
Productive enjoyable workplace
A-Grade Electrician (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC21 March 2018
Good team environment, hard working however rewarding outcomes
Great working conditions with management willing to always lend assistance to achieve the best outcomes
productive, challenging and learning experiance
Truck Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Windsor NSW7 March 2018
Fun place to learn and work with colegues.
Multiple jobs at different locations. Plenty of overtime and chance to work on weekends for special events around Sydney.
Pros
combination of jobs and locations
Cons
no communications between management
Working 60-80 hours per week and getting paid ok
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD8 April 2018
My experience was below average but it was because of the nature of the role. A typical day was 8 am - 6 pm plus some work at home. Weekends typically 5-10 hours of work.
The manager was fly in and fly out manager and he did not have any intention to develop me.
The workplace was isolated from the company because of the nature of the role.
Hardest was to get criticised for things that were not my responsibility
One weekend day of free over 6 weeks was the only enjoyment.
A good company with good equipment and support.
Pre-strip haul truck operator (Former Employee) –  Moranbah, QLD15 September 2014
Shifts were 12.5hrs. As I was on a traineeship I went through a steep
learning curve and did learn a lot. It was not easy at first and re-
quired a great deal of concentration to absorb everything. I found
it all come together after about 10mths and could really then hone my skills. It was a large prestrip operation with great equipment
like the Komatsu 930E,830E and Bucyrus 4400.
Management was supportive and if advice or help was needed it was never a problem. There was some really good people working for the company from a wide diversity of backgrounds. The best part
is the people of a company and I felt Downer did well in recruiting
a people friendly work force in general.
Pros
Accommodation meals and transport provided
Boilermaker/ welder
Boilermaker/Welder (Former Employee) –  Nt12 January 2018
The job on Groote would have to be a highlight of my career , bar none... the comraderie was great.. though the work was tough.. we got through it , we had a great leadership team.. and really kicked some goals.. i would go back there on the next expansion...
Pros
Absolute paradise
Cons
Pretty rough old plant
Toucher chamber
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  North Sydney NSW13 February 2018
Nothing works its all fragmented lots of chiefs and parasites that thrive in broken environments beyond repair. There's good people but they dont last long.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours, work overloading
Worst company, terrible management.
Electrical supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrow Island WA26 November 2017
Downers don't care about their workers it's only the dollars they're concerned about.
On Barrow Island it was amazing the continuous lies they kept telling the client to get themselves out of trouble and to make them look good.
Safety was all smoke and mirrors. I don't know how many times they turned a blind eye just to get the job done.
Unless you're mates or enjoy kissing the managers or superintendents butts there is no future for you.
Pros
Good guys in the same boat
Cons
Downer had a great work culture, fixed any problems that arose on job sites and cares about the safety of its employees.
NBN Hauling technician (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC9 September 2016
A typical day work for Downer was installing NBN cables through the pits and fitting them off on PCDs. I Learned nearly all there is to know about hauling with a few minor exception; there is always room for more learning. Management at downer were organized as they gave our future job site plans in advance which made our job easier. My co- workers we brilliant I loved the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was working after it had been raining. The thing I liked most about the job was is didn't interfere with my personal life too much. The work life balance was excellent.
Pros
Never work in the same place for too long.
Cons
Unpredictable hours.
Great company to work for
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Perth WA23 January 2017
Long hours but worth it!

- I learned to work well in a team environment

- Management was fair

- Diverse workplace culture which is a plus

- Being away from home for long periods is the down side to this kind of work

- Socializing and using the recreational facilities was on the up side to the job on the mine
Pros
Recreational facilities
Cons
being away from home for long periods
Mushroom management, lots of tiers of power hungry maniacs
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Anonymous27 October 2016
Good workers, staff however, unsupported by layer upon layer of senior management who are definitely not "for the people".

Not far from slavery, long hours and management don't like to listen so best to just shut up and get back in your box, do your job and take the pineapple.

Lots of emphasis on making money, little investment in people or tooling.

Don't bother asking for new machinery or equipment even though it is causing you to be delayed and stressed fixing broken tools constantly. Get used to being blamed for delays due to the company providing inadequate equipment which doesn't enable you to do your job and wastes hours each week.

Summary: Good workers and lower/middle staff who are bled dry by an uncaring senior management more interested in chest beating, employing even more useless senior management and producing fancy intranet pictures.
Pros
You do get paid.
Cons
Work hours, support, equipment to do the job
lousy
transport co-ordinator/purchasing officer (Current Employee) –  perth9 April 2013
would never recommend this company to anyone..have no respect for their workers even after being with them for 25 1/2 yrs...was told by a staff member of another department that workshop site was shutting down...management didn't even have the decency to come down and let workers know what was happening...to find out from another source in my books is an absolute disgrace....turnover of workers for this company is colossal because of their pay and work conditions...company also has a cashflow problem so there is no guarantee you even get your pay on time...have lost count of the number of times i have not been paid on time......DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WORK FOR THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT.
Pros
there is none
Cons
long hours 6 days a week
great place to work
Peggy/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Australia5 February 2018
Productive and great workplace with friendly staff, good hours, close to home and great benefits.

started working as a peggy/cleaner and also filled in as a trades assistant and a store person, learnt a lot about tools on the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.