Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews

Australia288 reviews
good working place. immediate boss however was not good to work under as he doesn't give any discretion. it will be advised that immediate managers should look at working proparly
A typical day at work for me is experiencing new tasks and daily challenges.Working with qualified Tradesmen constantly teaches me new skills using power tools and refreshes my health and safety knowledge and the priority of my Duty of care daily when on site.Managements main priority is keeping employees safe with zero incidents and injuries and returning us all safely home to our families. Downer encourages a multicultural work environment.Adjusting to different shifts, especially night shift is the hardest for me. The most exciting part of the job for me is being able to work on a variety of mine sites and adapting to the surroundings.
Pros
Camp facilities
Cons
I am a Shutdown worker
Awesome company to work for
Good people great culture,

Management was helpful and welcoming

All equipment available and in good condition stores was fully equipped with tools that was needed for the job.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Non i can think of
Fast paced with well organized project management. Follow strict work safety guidelines and encourage employees to adapt to these guidelines. Opportunities for learning and growth.
You have got no hope of succeeding in this company if you're not related or in the click.... Extremely bad behaviour is tolerated if you're one of the group. I witnessed intimidation and bullying by all levels from management down to the extent that the poor bloke went on sick leave then resigned, and he was a permanent employee. You've got absolutely NO hope if you are a casual........
Working at Downer was definitely a learning experience if one is new to the industry and thrown into a situation where he/she is put in the deep end with minimal training and an understaffed team.

There is little to no room for error, but with a plant that often breaks down and with miscommunication between upper/middle management running rampant, you will often be scapegoated into blame.

Staff morale is incredibly low due to questionable pay-rate decisions, continual condescension from management, and a failing safety culture where injured staff are being coerced to attend work anyway.

Overall, I would only recommend this workplace if you do not have any family or social obligations, and are desperately seeking new work experience.
All aspects of Injury Management.
Relaxed working schedule, Flexible start Finish times to allow work life balance

Safety first. Supportive

Leaving

Work Colleagues- always ready to assist.
Was a good place to work, great opportunity to up skills if you put in the hard work, only problem was the turn over of management, know one knew how long they world last, and all had to many objectives.
great team ,100% polices and procedures always felt safe and well looked after.
always team toolbox start of day.

dress code full ppe gear always.

management guidance and encouragement .

delivering a top product.
Great people to work with and interesting projects however financial renumeration that is often promised is not often followed through.
I do like the company though and valued my time here.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Downer Group?
Great place to work and good bunch of guys.. Well organised and easy approachable. Good safety procedure . Really care about employee safety and well being
Good Supervisors will find work for you or recommend you to other projects. Hard to get time off when required even if you have the hours up, but that's most construction companies
Fast paced environment which keeps you on your toe's. Everyday is different. Great culture and working environment. Management team is very helpful and resourceful.
Downer has a changing culture dependent very much on the Area and local Project Management of the particular Project.
There is a strong work ethic and loyalty from seasoned Project team members and the teams seem to be chosen by word of mouth - strong politics are involved and a high standard is demanded.

I was involved in 3 FIFO Projects and overall I enjoyed my time there.
Most of the blokes were easy to get along with, except some of the supervision who had big ego's and little inexperience in diplomacy.

Materials were sometimes slow in being sourced and brought to the job front and gear,(welding machines, mag drills, etc) were always in demand.

The job was sometimes a bit slow but i guess that was not Downers fault as that was the way the client ran the project.

All up not a bad mob to work for.
Typical daily issues - Fast pace for project management. Could improve system training as the Downer systems are complex compared to other major SMP systems.
Major divide between white and Blue collar workers.
Communication non existent

You are just a number there, be ready to be sacked or redundant at anytime.
I worked for Downer on several mining projects in Western Australian and Northern Territory over 10 years. I found them to be a great employer to work for. I can't wait to work for them again.
Long hours on site expected to go above and beyond, always expected to give more than you recieve. Work groups are very tight knit and can at times be difficult to feel a part of the team.
Work was good because our Supervisors and Management had very good communication skills there was no standing over tactics always reviewed safety concerns every one was on first name relations our ladies were always given great respect go,s with out saying. i would go as far to ray most of us were considered family
Pros
Cons
no con overtime was considered cream on the cake
I only saw the labour-hire side of Downer, but even the long-term employees complained of a predatory work culture that saw the employees as disposable. I didn’t see the senior management as being all that smart, either.