Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Downer upper managing should have close relationship with the customers.

Downer is a great company but due to greedyness of middle management Downer is loosing its reputation. Middle management misleading the higher management and it is too late them to realise the mistakes middle management has done. As per my experience, non of the councils that have given contracts to Downer will not reconsider to give a contract again. As ex-Downer employ I feel sad about the situation. On the other hand water & wastewater business is about 1% of total business and Downer may not worry about that but it is damaging the Downer’s reputation. It is very sad.

Pros

Downer care for the staff

Cons

Downer fully believe the middle managements lies.

Great culture, supportive management

I worked in the Derrimut FSC Gas Meter Reading contract. Very forward looking company, happy to invest in technology and equipment to improve working conditions. Flexible and encouraging management, safety focussed.

Pros

Great culture, fair pay

It was a joke

No management support, joke workplace, use and abuse mentality, and very over bearing enviroment.and a sad place to work with no real support from management as they did their job and ignored the real issues with in the place.

High Speed Revolving Door

Turn over is very high. Whoever not escaped from the long term staff are overloaded with work and don't look happy. Casual workers are being tricked in accepting roles as long term roles that usually end up un expectidly in just weeks. Low paid existing staff exploit casual staff and dont give them a chance to breath. Cost is what is in the brain of staff.Forgot to say HR staff don't look low paid and more suitable for retail work.

Pros

Casually Operating Coffee machine

Cons

Poor work spirit

some hard work but you get to have fun doing it

A great place to work no two day the same with great training there staff to up skill levels this job take to see country you may never had seen from beachs to rivers place in the middle of no where for my on any given day you may doing drainage ,sealing of stab patchs

Pros

good working treams

Cons

work in wet weather

Loved the people and challenges that gave opportunities to show my skills, and learn more about the company

Loved my temp role with Downer, would go back any day. Great people to work with, varied job tasks. Lots of option to learn. They showed appreciation and respect. They listened and took what a had to say seriously. . health and safety team were brilliant to work with. Great to feel respected for the jobs I done.

Pros

Fresh fruit.

Cons

Cold building site but the view was worth it

Everything basically was off.

From gestapo like german supervisors (true. Two kraut supers) to overall culture the whole experience was pathetic. Couldnt have given a rats about their workers

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else.

Average place to work,I have been at at a lot better.quite a few bett

Downer management at the time I was there approximately 7 yebetter9ars was a boys club very insular and nepotism was rife. Purcasing preferences within this company were given to suppliers who were giving the most benefits to those providing the orders, thus providing a lucrative overall package to those in the club. Not a good place to work if you are trusting and basically honest.

Pros

Fellow workers are frendly.

Cons

Management not consultative. Unrealistic targets.

So far so good

been three months working for them. Very inclusive and respectful space. Has a lot of systems and management plans, therefore, it takes a while to get someone up to speed. They really care for internal referrals. A typical day at work starts at 7 am and finish it 3:30 pm and would likely take longer. Work is flexible and although they don't pay overtime I get to balance those extra hours by leaving early on a Friday or something. Not much cross-division technical support, since they all operate as separate business entities and one is on their own to solve problems but there's understanding that no one is a know it all. All in all, there are hectic days at work but I see Downer as my new home now.

Pros

Good salary, flexible hours, flexible working arrangements, inclusive culture

Downer was a great company to work for, from the production crew, drill & blast, supervisors, superintendents & project manager. Highly recommended 😊. Was sad to leave them, I moved interstate

Pros

BBQs, Gifts, Xmas gift vouchers

Cons

Long roster

awsome company

the best construction company i have ever vworked for.very family orientated.great supervision and the people you work with are like family.fantastic mess hall and great food

Productive environment

Productive and challenging environment, every employee have an input to production but the hardest part is working in a group after some years as a lone worker.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

no free lunches

If it wasn’t for the camaraderie among workers the place would be intolerable

Management have a bully response to any real and genuine concerns as they find it easier to shut it down and belittle people with their arrogant attitudes rather than try to actually resolve real problems and issues. Lots of friends and relatives make it into roles that would have been better suited to other more qualified and experienced people. It is quite a depressing place to work and the staff turnover and absenteeism directly reflect that.

Pros

It pays the bills

Cons

Some of the management only have a position because they have a mate in a higher role, Some are just terrible and sad people that are way out of touch and lack basic people skills.

Downer is a good company to work for

since I began to work for Downer learned a lot of skill, learned how use a variety of machines, that because happen after I got my tickets at Downer excavation,skide steer, roller, Chainsaw, etc, all this tickets enabled me to become multiskilled worker, as matter fact I am proud working for Downer

They are a bunch of bullies.

Bully team leaders. Never believe the lies about being bullied is not allowed ,they do it and let it happen. Team leaders will belittle you on site ,over the 2way and it's ok with management.

Pros

Cons

Team leaders are bullies.

Hard work

Always under pressure to do the work and meet deadlines. A thankless job. Very few compliments for hard work done. Wages are minimal. Training is minimal. Career advancement is nil.

Pros

PPE Gear provided

Cons

Hard work for little rewards, low pay.

Excellent company.

Downer is a fantastic company to work for. They care for the workers and management listen to your contribution and always try to improve work environment. I rate them a 5 🌟 company to work for.

Good organisation that supports operational project staff and encourages implementation of good initiatives.

Good organisation that is going through changes and and is keen to be competitive in the marketplace as well as deliver to clients. Good safety culture with regular interface with Senior Executives to review performance and initiatives.

Pros

Quick Access to decision makers.

Cons

Information flow sometimes slow and not complete.

Short term contract.

It was a short term contract from HP to backfill a full time employee . Excellent corporate culture , good salary and Work life balance. Willing to work there again.

Productive and enjoyable place to work as camps provide lots of recreation and gyms.

A typical day at work for me is experiencing new tasks and daily challenges.Working with qualified Tradesmen constantly teaches me new skills using power tools and refreshes my health and safety knowledge and the priority of my Duty of care daily when on site.Managements main priority is keeping employees safe with zero incidents and injuries and returning us all safely home to our families. Downer encourages a multicultural work environment.Adjusting to different shifts, especially night shift is the hardest for me. The most exciting part of the job for me is being able to work on a variety of mine sites and adapting to the surroundings.

Pros

Camp facilities

Cons

I am a Shutdown worker

Great company

Awesome company to work for Good people great culture, Management was helpful and welcoming All equipment available and in good condition stores was fully equipped with tools that was needed for the job.

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Non i can think of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Downer Group