Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

3.7Work–Life Balance

Good salary when working away

job security dependent on winning contracts , a lot of work can be based in different states so if in construction you must be willing to move around.

Stressful and Unrewarding

Working at Downer was definitely a learning experience if one is new to the industry and thrown into a situation where he/she is put in the deep end with minimal training and an understaffed team. There is little to no room for error, but with a plant that often breaks down and with miscommunication between upper/middle management running rampant, you will often be scapegoated into blame. Staff morale is incredibly low due to questionable pay-rate decisions, continual condescension from management, and a failing safety culture where injured staff are being coerced to attend work anyway. Overall, I would only recommend this workplace if you do not have any family or social obligations, and are desperately seeking new work experience.

Typical day at work

pro - was pays well cons - lots of repetitive data entry, no training on different computers. Not friendly team environment to work in as I was only on contract.

Good work place and friendly work mate,we have fitness gym.

i have learned a lot of things from the company and from my work mate also,everyday is new day so exited to see my co-workers.the management is very helpful to everybody and if there is a new thing or they going to share to everyone.the hardest part is if your away from family.

Productive enjoyable workplace

Good team environment, hard working however rewarding outcomesGreat working conditions with management willing to always lend assistance to achieve the best outcomes

Downer had a great work culture, fixed any problems that arose on job sites and cares about the safety of its employees.

A typical day work for Downer was installing NBN cables through the pits and fitting them off on PCDs. I Learned nearly all there is to know about hauling with a few minor exception; there is always room for more learning. Management at downer were organized as they gave our future job site plans in advance which made our job easier. My co- workers we brilliant I loved the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was working after it had been raining. The thing I liked most about the job was is didn't interfere with my personal life too much. The work life balance was excellent.

Pros

Never work in the same place for too long.

Cons

Unpredictable hours.

High energy productive workplace

Great environment to work in with very supportive management. Zero Harm is embedded in the culture as it is fundamental to Downers future success. We deliver on our promises with excellence. Like any large company there is a lot of red tape, so some things take longer than expected. There is a lot of different directions than you can develop and the hard workers move up the chain quickly.

Pros

Great team environment

Cons

Red tape

Great and fun environment

I had the challenge of being the single point of contact for five very diverse teams. It took me a fair bit of assertiveness, patience and research to understand their ethnic and social differences but keeping an open mind and our focus on the task I managed to articulate between the teams quite well. NSN is certainly not the company that will nurse you in, it will give you some tools and direction and expect you to make your way. A fun place to work in, excellent atmosphere, great views, great coffee, and of course great people to work for and with.

Pros

Good location and free parking

Cons

too hot in summer !!!

Jobs at Downer Group