Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews in Sydney NSW

3.7Work–Life Balance

So far so good

been three months working for them. Very inclusive and respectful space. Has a lot of systems and management plans, therefore, it takes a while to get someone up to speed. They really care for internal referrals. A typical day at work starts at 7 am and finish it 3:30 pm and would likely take longer. Work is flexible and although they don't pay overtime I get to balance those extra hours by leaving early on a Friday or something. Not much cross-division technical support, since they all operate as separate business entities and one is on their own to solve problems but there's understanding that no one is a know it all. All in all, there are hectic days at work but I see Downer as my new home now.

Pros

Good salary, flexible hours, flexible working arrangements, inclusive culture

Fast paced, time constraints and limited communication between team members. Poor management and organisation.

Think twice before you decide to work for this company where you meet up with lots of rude colleagues as they prefer to speak their own language rather than English. It's a place where there is no time for morning greetings. There is limited communication between the workers and the company has poor management.

Safety Orientated

Safety Orientated and take pride in ensuring that construction workers get home safely. They need to increase diversity and inclusion as this is an area that lets them down.

Productive and supportive workplace

workplace culture at downer was the best I have ever worked.Management is friendly and always helpful. Always ready to upskill their employees for their better future.

Mostly ok some work sites are good

Typical rail and construction sites. willing to train and induct workers in areas the downer group are working in. Management are good the only management are the people on site. consistent with standards with the in electrical field. Work with the sites sometimes requires other skills and can be good to with equipment required. Not much mucking around with work all workers are keen to help and aslong as your working the work keeps rolling in.

Pros

good team leaders

Cons

can b hard to get to at time.

About 3 years late to the party

While a lot of companies have already experimented with outsourcing to offshore contractors, realised it doesn't work, and brought the roles back into local offices - Downer is only just beginning this experiment and there is very little job security. The office in North Ryde is basically the same as any other North Ryde/Macquarie Park office, the pay is around average, sothere is not much incentive that separates it from the many many other corporate jobs in the area. Accept that it is particularly slow, offers very little in the way of growth (both salary wise and personal development), and offers zero perks. I would say it's good for someone looking for short time employment, but even then it's nothing special

Pros

Flexibility (though not all departments are flexible)

Cons

Unsecure; no development; slow moving; no perks/incentives

basketball

: continues work for 6 day's with overtime : improvement of my knowledge to work with and to share my : knowledge to my co worker : always updated for what is going on and what was happening : good environment : is to be a part of it to finished the job safe

Pros

free ute as a transportation

Cons

long hours with overtime

Downer EDI

When I worked for Downer, I had a great team and a pro-active manager with a driven attitude. I wanted to stay there for longer, however my visa expired.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Distance to travel

Worked on contract in JV in Brisbane, in Perth, and in Sydney

Overall a good responsible company to work for from a contract point of view. A typical day at work would be a meeting with the team I worked with to update where the project or tender was ahead or behind schedule and put measures in place to meet schedule. Then head down and do what I was contracted to do. The work was enjoyable as most staff were prepared to help when necessary. The company had a good safety, environmental, and quality culture.

Pros

Always felt comfortable with staff and management.

Cons

No treal cons. My contracts with Downer were usually short duration so difficult to make comment.

New Project

New Train with long term project encouraging for long term career goal. Due to lack of vision from management ends up big failure. Frequent change in mid management level make everyone life measurable.

Jobs at Downer Group

in Sydney NSW
See more jobs

Opportunities were good with Downer. They work on divirse contracts and projects accross Australia. Good employee benifits and market level salaries. Good Management Systems.

Project Management

• International Project, Design & Risk Management experience • Ability to delivery large multi-disciplinary projects successfully • Project Management under NEC Contracts • Excellent Leadership skills • Organisational adaptability

Butt covering management

Bad culture. Management has an attitude of working people into the ground until they leave. Lack of vision. Not a collaborative workplace at all. Avoid if you dont like working for authoritarians.

Pros

Used to pay well

Cons

Long hours, indecisive management, weak management, high turnover of staff

Na

It was a rather good company to work with. Lots of challenges working across all states of Australia. A Calculative culture, with pockets above and below. Safety is important from the corporate office

Average productivity

Average workplace. Helpful atmosphere. Poor Training and IT support. Co-workers are helpful and supportive As this was a contract job and we are from different company and running different project so management was not sure about our work.

Productive and fun workplace. Friendly work collegues.

Really enjoyed working there as a contractor. Great atmosphere. Learned a lot on the job and felt my input was valued by my manager and my team.

Downer

One of the best companies i have worked for. Co workers really eager to help in any way they can. Hardest part of the job is BBQ every month (joking).

A lot of learning

My first job in Australia. The company underwent a paradigm shift in the business model and now it is rollingstock asset management company. So the experience is quite diversified and rewarding.

Mechanical design New challenge every day friendly work environment

Pros

New experience

Cons

manufacture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Downer Group
  • Sydney NSW
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?