Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews for Fitter

3.7Work–Life Balance

Good company

Good Supervisors will find work for you or recommend you to other projects. Hard to get time off when required even if you have the hours up, but that's most construction companies

awsome company

the best construction company i have ever vworked for.very family orientated.great supervision and the people you work with are like family.fantastic mess hall and great food

very easy going work conditions

very understanding at the start Indirect discrimination at the extreme level A lot of promises but no out come Lured into the trap of promotion and as per the company requirements I found out after 2 months there was never such thing team leader position and got pushed away from home which added up one extra hour of travel

productive

learnt new things about oil and gas. good teamwork and good supervision. salary was good as well as the location. would work for them again.

Pros

location

Cons

permits

well organised

I like the people I worked with. the type of work I was involved with was very interesting and rewarding. would like to work with these people again.

Pros

good accomodation

Cons

concentrate on job, then go home

To be honest. The workman in Australia, have too many issues and bad work ethic. Especially Downer , Vic. I wouldnt work with them again. They seem to think their EBA, is better than any other. All management came from Geelong. They would rather wait for a little rain to come, instead of actually working. My Supervisor from South Africa didnt want me too leave. But i put up with enough immature people. Safety went out the window. The wrong flagging used when hydrotesting, if they actually put it up...! Threats from workman, because the bledisloe cup was on, which was disputed by most people to watch. Because they dont watch or support that sport. AFL only. So i had to leave early with others.

Pros

safety lady bringing ice blocks around site.

Cons

Bad work attitude

Good place to work, great workmates

Working at Downer EDI Rail was very rewarding, I was trained in the things I needed to do then left alone and trusted to get the job done and had support from my supervisor's if required. I acquired many new qualifications working here so that gave me the ability to perform many different tasks, so job variety was good and I enjoyed the different challenges that came my way. It was a rather large group of people that worked here, and as I seem to get along with anyone, became a trusted and respected workmate with them all.

Well managed workplace, with good camaraderie

This job is an enjoyable, interesting one with an easy going but productive vibe. To learn how the network of pipeline and compressor stations interact is eye opening. The heat in Qld can be oppressive but when well managed through appropriate rest breaks etc, is bearable.

Standard Work environment with drink machine available.

You start a day with being assigned your task and do a take 5 or SWMPS. You plan your assigned task and ask for additional resource should you require. After completion of task, you do a general house keeping and if your shift is not over you assist others as required. Training opportunity is great at Downer and the management is readily available to assist as needs arises. Your co-workers are good and they assist whenever required so general team work is evident. The hardest part of the job is when special tools are not available and the small tasks prolongs. The most enjoyable part of work is when I complete my assigned task on time and am really satisfied with my effort.

Pros

Assistance is always available

Cons

Special tools non existance

great employer to work for

Very punctual and efficient with paperwork. Like working away fifo

Pros

Good camp accommodation

Cons

no cons

Jobs at Downer Group

Fitter positions
See more jobs

Good to work for

enjoyed working at pluto but not enough over time.when working away from home we are in it for the money,as we are away from family.

Pros

working in the pilbara

Cons

not enough overtime

good Co workers,

121/2 hour days, meals supplied at camp, fixing drills and maintenance on some light vehicles, parts ordering. Have gained knowledge of diesel fitter and gained a few extra tickets with extended training by the company. Management is variable depending on the level. Young guys out of uni at top jobs does not always produce the best outcome, sometimes experience just wins out over everything. Most co workers are great, language barriers in the mines can be challenging with so many Overseas people coming to work here with out much english or experience. The hours are long and sometimes talks with supervisors can be frustrating as there often seems to be bias opinions. I enjoy the trade I am in and thrive on working with my hands and learning news skills each day. My work has started as a small toen mechanic and progressed into a trade of may variables and challenges on the way. I am proud of my acchievments and progressions in my trade.

Pros

big company, great training, good experience

Cons

to much travel, high cost of travel straining on the family, too much time away, too far away, takes over 24 hours of travel each way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Downer Group