Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Management reviews

Clear
3.7Work–Life Balance

Downer upper managing should have close relationship with the customers.

Downer is a great company but due to greedyness of middle management Downer is loosing its reputation. Middle management misleading the higher management and it is too late them to realise the mistakes middle management has done. As per my experience, non of the councils that have given contracts to Downer will not reconsider to give a contract again. As ex-Downer employ I feel sad about the situation. On the other hand water & wastewater business is about 1% of total business and Downer may not worry about that but it is damaging the Downer’s reputation. It is very sad.

Pros

Downer care for the staff

Cons

Downer fully believe the middle managements lies.

It was a joke

No management support, joke workplace, use and abuse mentality, and very over bearing enviroment.and a sad place to work with no real support from management as they did their job and ignored the real issues with in the place.

Everything basically was off.

From gestapo like german supervisors (true. Two kraut supers) to overall culture the whole experience was pathetic. Couldnt have given a rats about their workers

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else.

Average place to work,I have been at at a lot better.quite a few bett

Downer management at the time I was there approximately 7 yebetter9ars was a boys club very insular and nepotism was rife. Purcasing preferences within this company were given to suppliers who were giving the most benefits to those providing the orders, thus providing a lucrative overall package to those in the club. Not a good place to work if you are trusting and basically honest.

Pros

Fellow workers are frendly.

Cons

Management not consultative. Unrealistic targets.

So far so good

been three months working for them. Very inclusive and respectful space. Has a lot of systems and management plans, therefore, it takes a while to get someone up to speed. They really care for internal referrals. A typical day at work starts at 7 am and finish it 3:30 pm and would likely take longer. Work is flexible and although they don't pay overtime I get to balance those extra hours by leaving early on a Friday or something. Not much cross-division technical support, since they all operate as separate business entities and one is on their own to solve problems but there's understanding that no one is a know it all. All in all, there are hectic days at work but I see Downer as my new home now.

Pros

Good salary, flexible hours, flexible working arrangements, inclusive culture

If it wasn’t for the camaraderie among workers the place would be intolerable

Management have a bully response to any real and genuine concerns as they find it easier to shut it down and belittle people with their arrogant attitudes rather than try to actually resolve real problems and issues. Lots of friends and relatives make it into roles that would have been better suited to other more qualified and experienced people. It is quite a depressing place to work and the staff turnover and absenteeism directly reflect that.

Pros

It pays the bills

Cons

Some of the management only have a position because they have a mate in a higher role, Some are just terrible and sad people that are way out of touch and lack basic people skills.

They are a bunch of bullies.

Bully team leaders. Never believe the lies about being bullied is not allowed ,they do it and let it happen. Team leaders will belittle you on site ,over the 2way and it's ok with management.

Pros

Cons

Team leaders are bullies.

Good organisation that supports operational project staff and encourages implementation of good initiatives.

Good organisation that is going through changes and and is keen to be competitive in the marketplace as well as deliver to clients. Good safety culture with regular interface with Senior Executives to review performance and initiatives.

Pros

Quick Access to decision makers.

Cons

Information flow sometimes slow and not complete.

Productive and enjoyable place to work as camps provide lots of recreation and gyms.

A typical day at work for me is experiencing new tasks and daily challenges.Working with qualified Tradesmen constantly teaches me new skills using power tools and refreshes my health and safety knowledge and the priority of my Duty of care daily when on site.Managements main priority is keeping employees safe with zero incidents and injuries and returning us all safely home to our families. Downer encourages a multicultural work environment.Adjusting to different shifts, especially night shift is the hardest for me. The most exciting part of the job for me is being able to work on a variety of mine sites and adapting to the surroundings.

Pros

Camp facilities

Cons

I am a Shutdown worker

Great company

Awesome company to work for Good people great culture, Management was helpful and welcoming All equipment available and in good condition stores was fully equipped with tools that was needed for the job.

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Non i can think of

good

good working place. immediate boss however was not good to work under as he doesn't give any discretion. it will be advised that immediate managers should look at working proparly

Productive and competitive work place

Fast paced with well organized project management. Follow strict work safety guidelines and encourage employees to adapt to these guidelines. Opportunities for learning and growth.

If you're related or in the click you'll go far

You have got no hope of succeeding in this company if you're not related or in the click.... Extremely bad behaviour is tolerated if you're one of the group. I witnessed intimidation and bullying by all levels from management down to the extent that the poor bloke went on sick leave then resigned, and he was a permanent employee. You've got absolutely NO hope if you are a casual........

Stressful and Unrewarding

Working at Downer was definitely a learning experience if one is new to the industry and thrown into a situation where he/she is put in the deep end with minimal training and an understaffed team. There is little to no room for error, but with a plant that often breaks down and with miscommunication between upper/middle management running rampant, you will often be scapegoated into blame. Staff morale is incredibly low due to questionable pay-rate decisions, continual condescension from management, and a failing safety culture where injured staff are being coerced to attend work anyway. Overall, I would only recommend this workplace if you do not have any family or social obligations, and are desperately seeking new work experience.

Supportive Employer

All aspects of Injury Management. Relaxed working schedule, Flexible start Finish times to allow work life balance Safety first. Supportive Leaving Work Colleagues- always ready to assist.

Challenge

Was a good place to work, great opportunity to up skills if you put in the hard work, only problem was the turn over of management, know one knew how long they world last, and all had to many objectives.

productive and greatwork place very professional

great team ,100% polices and procedures always felt safe and well looked after. always team toolbox start of day. dress code full ppe gear always. management guidance and encouragement . delivering a top product.

Fast paced environment which keeps you on your toe's. Everyday is different. Great culture and working environment. Management team is very helpful and resourceful.

Snr Electrical Engineer

Downer has a changing culture dependent very much on the Area and local Project Management of the particular Project. There is a strong work ethic and loyalty from seasoned Project team members and the teams seem to be chosen by word of mouth - strong politics are involved and a high standard is demanded. I was involved in 3 FIFO Projects and overall I enjoyed my time there.

Project management

Typical daily issues - Fast pace for project management. Could improve system training as the Downer systems are complex compared to other major SMP systems.

Purple circle

Major divide between white and Blue collar workers. Communication non existent You are just a number there, be ready to be sacked or redundant at anytime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Downer Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?