Drakes Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Working at Drakes Supermarkets: 130 Drakes Supermarkets Reviews

Australia130 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

They only care about the bottom dollar. They cut hours and totally replace people with juniors with no explanation.

I worked there for almost a year and the first few months were no problem, I was in grocery and had 3-4 shifts per week. Then they found out I could work deli and they put me in there for up to 5 shifts per week. Then all of a sudden I was taken out of deli with no explanation and given 1 3 hour shift per week back in grocery. It didn’t matter how hard I worked or how much I asked they said they didn’t have anymore hours for me. Then they started hiring more people and giving them more shifts. Obviously the money and work was there they just refused to be honest about it.

Pros

Easy work.

Cons

Lack of care about the workers.

Night Management Emasculate and Demean Male Subordinates

An absolute abomination to have as an employer! Now Job Work/Life Balance was meant to get two stars out of five - but the sheer fact that the harassment perpetuates even after the highest point of Lower Management and People and Culture are made aware gives this a solid one. Not to mention the self-worth and self-efficacy of the employee being tarnished! Any Learning and Development Manager at Head Office should surely know that when a high degree of external factors caused by the store start to impact internal factors in your daily life beyond work, like your sleep, relationships, and the human drive to go on, you know you need to leave them high and dry for a comparable chain. When the sun is down, you have to behave however neurotic the Nightfill Manager left in charge is. It's dubbed, "You have to meet the status quo of the store." one Manager said. So what you have here, is a company that actively tarnishes itself with some of their own managers. Singling people out and being hostile and yelling at the target employee while the store is trading in front of everyone and whispering threats to you to assert masculinity, steers away from the common goal of the business and when that happens, what you get is a toxic culture that negatively implicates the practices a responsible manager must take, orchestrate high-performance teams. It is the very fact that some of these young male Assistant Managers that pass through the recruitment phase, into an in-house course with Drakes, indicates to me that the training is not set right because their understanding of the -

Pros

There are some good Managers in the company

Cons

Night Management have been seen: Inflicting on others, using coercive forces, and hindering motivation, decision and actions through an unstable moral compass.

good people to work with management not great

I worked at drakes for almost two years and experiences great struggle in trying to receive regular shifts and pay every week. I suffered from an injury (not caused by me) and was told not to go to the hospital (chemical burn to my arm), they also told me to not get compensation for the shifts I'd be missing, the staff were great to work with but management needs a change, I didn't receive proper training for either of my positions at drakes

fun workplace

Drakes Supermarkets is a fun workplace to work at. The staff there were really nice and so were the customers. I really did enjoy my time at Drakes and i gained new skills.

Bad management

Management don't look after their workers. Especially those as Casual employees. Even though you show that you are a good worker, they would rather play favourites. Unless you are a suck up, don't expect any shifts.. People in managerial roles do not know how to do their job but are still allowed in that position! High turn over of staff!

Very good

Great management team a lot of fun and would recommend if your someone looking for jsut some casual work great place. Really enjoy my time working with them.

Great management

Was trained in different departments in the shop. Staff are very friendly. I still get on the staff that work at drakes calliope. The store is clean and fresh

Pros

Supplied uniforms

Cons

Cut hours big time

fun

easy laid back environment defiantly recommend i learned how to deal with customers better, management are good to talk to when your ever in trouble, hardest part of the job would've been meeting deadlines

Good place to work for a high school student.

Worked there during school. Enjoyable and easy work. Flexible for the most part to work with your schedule. learnt skills as I went. Various hours throughout the week.

No explanation

For the start was everything alright but after that started to be more bad, so I think the management for the store they have to have more experience to manage the store. Thank you.

fun workplace

Drakes Supermarket is a fun place to work with a good work life balance I would highly recommend trying to get a job with the company its a great company to work with

Fun working environment

The atmosphere at drakes is super friendly while still being professional. It makes being at work enjoyable and comfortable, so it does not really feel like you are working at all!

Productive and nice work place

In Drakes there are allot of staff members that are always giving their best effort and are always trying to archive professional customer service, always looking alive and well on their feet always looking to serve others when seen waiting or trying to find a certain item.

Average

To enjoy working at drakes it mainly depends on what department you work in. I currently still work there as a part time worker and trained in nearly every department. Working nightfill at drakes (packing load) is a very stressful job and the managers will bully you into working as fast as you can. Grocery is okay. Dairy is good, Front end is easy apart from peak hour. And fruit and veg is easily the most enjoyable department with the least amount of stress

Drakes supermarkets

Providing responsive, exceptional service to deli counter customers by answering questions, making recommendations, providing samples, and responding to requests. Recommending, slicing, weighing, packaging, and pricing meats and cheeses. Preparing special orders and party trays, Assisting Deli manager with ordering stock, doing stock-take, daily shrinkage report and managing Deli team.

Supportive and relaxed place to work.

I enjoyed my 10 years with Drakes Supermarket . I made many good friends and learned many skills. I would recommend working for this company if this is your interest.

Review

Quite enjoyed my time and learnt quite a lot. Also found it rewarding giving customers whatever assistance they required. Worked mainly 5 hr shifts. Found this gave me about $525 per week.

good work place, poor management

management pick favourites and give them all the shifts and leaves us who are struggling with money left out. other team members are just plain rude and really should not be working in customer service. obviously all stores are different but this is my experience

Worst management, Toxic environment

Working in the store is detrimental to your health. The staff are usually great, the management is beyond the worst. They stab people in the back and gossip and start fighting worse than in the school yard. Most don’t even know how to do their job. One particular manager steals and upper management just cover it up.

Workplace with a Terrible Atmosphere

I learnt a wide variety of customer service and interpersonal skills while in this job, however, the management were often rude and careless. Myself and other staff members had made formal complaints to management about issues going on within the store which were said they were gonna be addressed, and were instead completely ignored and brushed off. As a result, this caused the deterioration of the mental health of myself and other staff members. It was not an enjoyable job to be in, which is why I decided to leave the job and move to another store.

I needed more hours

I would’ve liked to have heaps more hours as I’m keen to work, sometimes I wouldn’t get work for 3 weeks, I needed money to help pay for financial problems

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Drakes Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Drakes Supermarkets