Dusk Employee Reviews

good
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Western Australia8 February 2019
candles are very nice customers are fun. I was only aaa Christmas casualll though. wish they would have kept me on but oh well. still a nice place yeah
Fun atmosphere, no advancement
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster VIC30 December 2018
Waves of customers so either a lot to do or barely anything at all. Difficult to advance up to higher roles. Decent pay. Team members are great and fun to work with, however upper management aren’t ideal. Shifts fortnightly.
Pros
Discounts. Great atmosphere.
Cons
Very short hours and no advancement
outstanding place to work
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Perth WA15 November 2018
couldn't love my job more than i already do the only downside is the higher management tend to be very pick and choose on favourites also tend to make the employees feel small and unworthy of working there. but otherwise the surroundings and people i work with are fantastic my team are amazing and work with me not without me. Love the team work and organisation we have as a team.
Pros
amazing people!
Cons
some areas of management
Good team
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA9 November 2018
-I had a great team at all stores I worked at however there were communication issues between the stores and higher management which unfortunately caused miscommunications.
Productive, fun environment
Shop Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Coffs Harbour Plaza NSW9 September 2018
I loved my job at dusk, the work was easy and fun. The staff here are amazing, loving and caring. Would happily work for this business again and i reccomend their services to as many people as possible.
Cons
Cost
Unprofessional Regional & state Manager NSW
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Blacktown NSW31 July 2018
Horrible to work for your constantly walking on egg shells ,
no matter how hard you work its never good enough ,
area manager & state manager are very critical & negative,
Absolutely No people skills at all.

Extremely unachievable expectations ,
Makes it very hard to keep your team positive .

A very behind the times retail environment .
Would not recommend Dusk
Pros
Great CEO
Cons
poor support alot of criticism & negativity No work life balance
Pre good
CASUAL SALES ASSISTANT/TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Clarkson WA19 July 2018
I loved working at Dusk, staff were all friendly and helpful. They always had smiles on their faces and were always happy to be working. Management was good and were all on top of what they had to do.
christmas casual
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wantirna South VIC3 May 2018
I worked with the company over Christmas friendly team great experience when learning about products and how to sell them to customers. The hours are long during the Christmas months but this can work well for students trying to work after school.
Calm, clean and friendly working environment.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 January 2018
A friendly working environment in a beautiful and calm store with management giving wanted and constructive criticism. Employees are taught about the products so customers are able to have the best experience.
Clean and beautiful place to work
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Macquarie NSW28 December 2017
It's a beautiful place to work with great products and reasonable prices. The team I work with though are competitive, bossy (unreasonably so) and are too serious.
Pros
Good pay and a beautiful place to worl
Cons
Competitive and unfriendly colleagues
Productive and fun with a focus on customers
Christmas Casual Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlestown NSW17 December 2017
Most days are spent serving and greeting customers and filling stock. The busy periods usually come in waves. The hardest part about working for dusk is making sure all customers are served and greeted quickly during the Christmas period.
Nice Product but terrible state management
Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA15 December 2017
Higher management tend to pick ‘favourites’ and marginalise others. Will be very happy with you one day and act rudely towards you the next. Can also be quite passive aggressive and gossipy.

Very intense focus on KPIs. Even if you make budget, if you haven’t sold enough lighters or signed enough people up, it’s not treated as an achievement.

Expectation that employees are bubbly and positive 24/7 and criticism for any down days is difficult.
Pros
Lovely product, other casual team are great
Cons
Bad management, promoting favourites, regardless of your overall skills you will be slammed for a bad day.
dusk was good to work at but i was not given many shifts
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Capalaba QLD19 November 2017
a typical day at work included serving customers, stocking shelves and using the registers. I leaned how to use registers. the management team were incredibly helpful in my time working here. the hardest part of the job was unloading heavy and fragile stock. the most enjoyable part of the job was smelling the candles, learning about the stock and helping customers.
Fun but very poorly managed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW18 November 2017
The money was good but other than that the management was poor.
Wouldn't recommend if you want to further your career. Hard work isn't recognised and regional stores aren't very well communicated too
The management would prefer to ignore issues than deal with them
Being in the store was fun and Christmas was always a good time
No work/life balance, rosters are lousy. Very little support from Area Manager or Cluster Manager.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Australia17 August 2017
Upselling and add ons are a huge part of KP's, even if you made budget for the day they would get on your back about not selling enough lighters.
Little support from upper management when first started.
Team Members were great to work with.
Pros
Small staff discount on products
Cons
Long hours, no work/life balance
Boring place to work
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW3 June 2017
Boring place to work when there are no customers and lots of talk through staff about other colleagues, though good at times and good benefits. Majority of job includes stock refill and hard to reach personal and store goals.
Good benefits, terrible culture
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Charlestown NSW8 May 2017
Staff discount of 30% is good.
Minimum wage and if you're a casual you'll be lucky to get 1-2 three hour shifts/week.
Very unstable as they base your shifts on whether or not you're making KPI's. If you don't make them you don't get shifts.
Higher management doesn't care about you unless you're making sales.
They don't take complaints seriously unless they come from a customer.
Ridiculous amounts of pressure to perform well, you have to make certain targets and if you don't you an ROD (record of discussion).
Very hard to get bonuses but they're usually good when you do.
Pros
Bonuses are good, staff discount, if you're a student and only want minimum hours this is the perfect position.
Cons
3 hour shifts in the middle of the day, management sucks.
Candles
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD18 April 2017
Busy not enough hours to get things done.
How to manage a business
hard to sell when quality changed.
Meeting new people and helping customers with styling there home.
Pros
Meet people
Cons
Long hours and not enough staff
Fun overall but poor management and too much pressure
Ex sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Queensland5 April 2017
Thorough training is provided for all in store products which helps a lot! Decent pay with generous store discounts and store games with the opportunity to win prizes. Not many shifts available unless you are the store manager. Sometimes unseasonable KPIs with lots of pressure from store managers to make them. I felt as though my position wasn't secure and that if I didn't make budget or certain (difficult) goals, I would be fired, even if it was just a bad week. Discussions were held on how to 'improve performance' but just pointed out how poorly you were performing or how much money You lost the store for that month with no actual tips on improving or words of encouragement. Not an encouraging or secure work environment.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Shorts shifts, pressure to upsell, position not secure.
Overall a good casual job
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC31 March 2017
The job is good fun and the product is easy to sell. Management are generally great, you get the occasional nasty boss but this gets followed up quickly. I don't feel as though my job is secure if I don't hit KPIs under certain managers, but my store currently does not have a manager who makes me feel like that. Great team parties and team culture.
Pros
30% discount, good team
Cons
Occasional nasty manager, lack of job security