Dusk
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Dusk Employee Reviews

I only worked here a short time but in the time learnt many new skills that I can now use in my future careers. It is a team environment and everyone has a fair go.
Dusk pays good, but the pressure put on the staff by the management is unbelievable. Being sworn at and disrespected is how i got treated and no one should be made to feel bad about themselves because of management
I worked as a Christmas casual at Dusk and was glad I didn’t stay on as a casual throughout the rest of the year. The overall vibe of the workplace was so depressing. No one even seamed like they really wanted to be there (neither did I). The smell and strong SCENTS were so TERRIBLE for my health. I did not have any medical conditions or respiratory/asthma issues before working there. The first shift onwards, I felt like I couldn’t breathe, was constantly thirsty and would have to go into the back room just to clear my throat. I ended up getting quite sick. It was really unreasonable for them to put all the diffusers on at once, to the point I couldn’t even talk to customers in that area of the store because it was too much. It simply wasn’t worth working there. On top of feeling terrible, the targets were so high. Even though I was constantly asking for feedback and being on top of my improvement, nothing seamed to be enough. I also felt really terrible convincing people to purchase items I didn’t think was worth buying. This was my first paid job, so maybe someone with more experience (and strong lungs) could handle it, but honestly it was just a bad experience.
Pros
I learn’t where I don’t want to work
Cons
Hard to breathe, hard to meet unreasonable targets, very stressful
Don’t be surprised if you get a call after 10pm asking you to work the next morning. Shifts are given to those who management likes, not the most efficient workers. Get in good with your boss if you want to slack off and standing about doing nothing. Bosses will critique everything you do if they don’t like you. Over all very stressful and did not enjoy working.
Pros
Discounted candles
Cons
Rude workers
Don’t be a manager, easy answer they will work you to the bone and give nothing back. I was treated like I didn’t matter and was starting to be pushed out. Over Christmas as a manager I was told to get it done no matter what it took but couldn’t use casuals. This resulted in me working at least 12 hours a day for 3 months with very few days off. During the year even my days off there was no work life balance as I was answering emails.
Pros
Good pay for casuals
Cons
Terrible treatment of managers
Just a bad place to work. Managers are not managers and don’t know how to manage. Launceston team is good but otherwise it sucks. Not a good place for teamwork and no one gets a long. A lot of drama. The current manager at the Rosny store is much better than the manager I had.
It was an amazing opportunity to be a part of this team. Everyone is very nice and respectful and there is always support. There are many resources that have been made available to you so training is simple to follow.
Easy enough to get through the interview process as a Christmas casual but regretted accepting the job after just one shift. It's dog eat dog fighting over sales to reach unattainable KPI's, managers stealing your good sales, bullying at every level and being lied to in regards to hours offered. Please do yourself a favour and find a job elsewhere
Workplace culture is productive and fun, with several opportunities to learn new skills. Store management can be very flexible with employees who are undertaking their studies.
Limited shifts and very competitive to be the winner and stay. Ageists they will hire youngest cheaper staff. KPI driven. You smell really nice after a shift. Enjoy customers as they are relaxed by coming in. Even if you are passionate about brand, know your aromatherapy & get good UPTs & KPIs the company will keep permanent staff & hire cheaper staff. Youthful pretty look suits the store. Good training if you like technology & extra homework. Good fun for a handful of shifts to experience the atmosphere.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Dusk?
I have been working at Dusk for over a year, and it is a great place to work! All the people I have worked with have been lovely. Training is great and interview process easy. Would recommend getting hired as a christmas casual and try to stay on.
If you are looking for a place to further pursue your passion for customer service and face-to-face sales, then give Dusk a go. It was fantastic having the opportunity to work in such an incredible friendly and successful business
You get to interact with customers and work collaboratively with other team members on how to upsell best, as well as being trained by caring and patient trainers.
To anyone considering working for this company please for your own health and sanity don't do it . I wish I had listened to what other people had said about working here. Horrible stressful work environment. No respect, it's all about the money and reaching KPIs and there is no support for staff or proper training processes , constant harassment
Dusk is a terribly run company, from a customers stand point - It seems like the perfect place to work. It seems like an easy job thats loads of fun, selling pretty candles. How incorrect this assumption is. The management (on every level) is absolutely awful. Running all their employees into the ground both physically and mentally with, absolutely ridciulous and completey unachieveable KPI's and task lists. No consideration for their employees whatsoever. If you are looking for great work life balance, dusk isn't the place for you. You will be expected to work well beyond your contracted hours (unpaid) and punished if you refuse or simply cannot do it. Casuals are offered roughly three hours a week (if they are lucky). Your daily, weekly and monthly KPI's will be non-negotiable and if you don't achieve them, expect to be made to feel worthless and incompetent. If you are looking for a company that respects you as a team member or simply, a person, Dusk is not the place to work. As a Store Manager myself, I had so many of my team members (from both my store and other stores) leave because of how terribly they were treated. Team members often crying before work, during work and after work because of the stress and bullying they endured from management. HR are incredibly inconsiderate, hold no people skills and are completly biased towards management. There is little to no career progression with Dusk and, you pretty much need to be a yes man to get even the slightest bit of praise. In store training is non-existent, no guidance is offered to team members so, if mistakes are made - more...
Pros
Salary
Cons
Toxic, bullying, no confidentiality or respect for employees, long unpaid hours, unachievable tasks/KPIs
This was honestly a waste of of almost 3years,, the only training you get is online which is always out of date. If you do not meet ALL of your KPI’s even just 1 then you need to explain why, which if everyone knew why they would be making all KPI’s. You are expected to sell so many $15 lighters and $10 rewards each shift which even the best sales person can struggle with this. If you do not meet your requirements then the next weeks following shifts can be stripped from you until you prove yourself. The state managers come into store and disrespectfully talk down about team members calling them a waste of space and critising even store managers. You as a casual can be very lucky to get 3hrs a week unless someone is away or sick then u are expected to take on each shift followed by being cut down when you are not needed. I believe you can NOT go anywhere within this company unless you are happy with minimum shifts and are a yes sir no sir type of person. If you are not the state managers favourite person I store you really have no chance they will cut your shifts to get rid of you rather than providing feedback. The positive is that you can meet some great team within the store but it does depend which store you are in.
The culture of Dusk is very toxic and there is an immense amount of pressure to make store targets and KPIs, even when foot traffic in the store is low. Their recommended approach to sales and upselling is one with the potential to make the customer feel uncomfortable and pressured at times. Dealings with higher management have been unprofessional and their expectations of staff are unreasonable. The pay rate for casual staff is appealing, as is the staff discount. I had lovely store staff to work with, however it was the unprofessionalism and negativity of higher management that led me to leave the company.
Pros
Appealing casual pay rate
Cons
don’t care about anything except for KPIs and sales etc and if you don’t meet the correct amount of sales per day they look down on you and don’t give you many shifts following that. Wouldn’t recommend working here at all. Felt unwanted and like I wasn’t trying at all when in fact I was. Made me feel horrible and this job has scarred me from working retail again for a while.
If you don't meet your KPI's you will lose shifts or possibly your job. Store manager can't actually manage a team properly, no communication, will just stop giving you shifts and pretend you no longer exist. catty employees and no incentives.
Pros
Candles are okay
Cons
easily disposable, no job security, bad work environment, list goes on.
I did enjoy the aspects of working here. They taught me so much about management and the teach you so much and push you to better yourself, but what drove me away was that the pressure they put on you to bring customers in was a lot, you have to upsell so much and if you don't you get a sheet you have to sign saying you are not doing your job correctly. I was assistant manager and I would recommend for people who want to be casual here but higher up management is crazy!
Pros
Company Events, Teaching to manage a store
Cons
Overtime hours constantly for VM, and sometime managers and assistant managers have to come in with no pay.
Very specific way of doing things, the culture can sometimes be quite sexist, and not LGBTQI friendly. but overall good company, with amazing training programs.
  1. Employee Reviews