Dusk
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Dusk Employee Reviews

Australia61 reviews
A good place to work when undertaking university studies.
Workplace culture is productive and fun, with several opportunities to learn new skills. Store management can be very flexible with employees who are undertaking their studies.
You smell good, limited shifts
Limited shifts and very competitive to be the winner and stay. Ageists they will hire youngest cheaper staff. KPI driven. You smell really nice after a shift. Enjoy customers as they are relaxed by coming in. Even if you are passionate about brand, know your aromatherapy & get good UPTs & KPIs the company will keep permanent staff & hire cheaper staff. Youthful pretty look suits the store. Good training if you like technology & extra homework. Good fun for a handful of shifts to experience the atmosphere.
Great work place!
I have been working at Dusk for over a year, and it is a great place to work! All the people I have worked with have been lovely. Training is great and interview process easy.
Would recommend getting hired as a christmas casual and try to stay on.
Excellent place to work
If you are looking for a place to further pursue your passion for customer service and face-to-face sales, then give Dusk a go. It was fantastic having the opportunity to work in such an incredible friendly and successful business
Fun and Collaborative Environment
You get to interact with customers and work collaboratively with other team members on how to upsell best, as well as being trained by caring and patient trainers.
What a mistake
To anyone considering working for this company please for your own health and sanity don't do it . I wish I had listened to what other people had said about working here. Horrible stressful work environment. No respect, it's all about the money and reaching KPIs and there is no support for staff or proper training processes , constant harassment
Corrupt and Toxic Company
Dusk is a terribly run company, from a customers stand point - It seems like the perfect place to work. It seems like an easy job thats loads of fun, selling pretty candles. How incorrect this assumption is. The management (on every level) is absolutely awful. Running all their employees into the ground both physically and mentally with, absolutely ridciulous and completey unachieveable KPI's and task lists. No consideration for their employees whatsoever. If you are looking for great work life balance, dusk isn't the place for you. You will be expected to work well beyond your contracted hours (unpaid) and punished if you refuse or simply cannot do it. Casuals are offered roughly three hours a week (if they are lucky). Your daily, weekly and monthly KPI's will be non-negotiable and if you don't achieve them, expect to be made to feel worthless and incompetent. If you are looking for a company that respects you as a team member or simply, a person, Dusk is not the place to work. As a Store Manager myself, I had so many of my team members (from both my store and other stores) leave because of how terribly they were treated. Team members often crying before work, during work and after work because of the stress and bullying they endured from management. HR are incredibly inconsiderate, hold no people skills and are completly biased towards management. There is little to no career progression with Dusk and, you pretty much need to be a yes man to get even the slightest bit of praise. In store training is non-existent, no guidance is offered to team members so, if mistakes are made - more...
Pros
Salary
Cons
Toxic, bullying, no confidentiality or respect for employees, long unpaid hours, unachievable tasks/KPIs
Waste of almost 3years.
This was honestly a waste of of almost 3years,, the only training you get is online which is always out of date. If you do not meet ALL of your KPI’s even just 1 then you need to explain why, which if everyone knew why they would be making all KPI’s. You are expected to sell so many $15 lighters and $10 rewards each shift which even the best sales person can struggle with this. If you do not meet your requirements then the next weeks following shifts can be stripped from you until you prove yourself. The state managers come into store and disrespectfully talk down about team members calling them a waste of space and critising even store managers. You as a casual can be very lucky to get 3hrs a week unless someone is away or sick then u are expected to take on each shift followed by being cut down when you are not needed. I believe you can NOT go anywhere within this company unless you are happy with minimum shifts and are a yes sir no sir type of person. If you are not the state managers favourite person I store you really have no chance they will cut your shifts to get rid of you rather than providing feedback. The positive is that you can meet some great team within the store but it does depend which store you are in.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Dusk?
Lots of Pressure from Management
The culture of Dusk is very toxic and there is an immense amount of pressure to make store targets and KPIs, even when foot traffic in the store is low. Their recommended approach to sales and upselling is one with the potential to make the customer feel uncomfortable and pressured at times. Dealings with higher management have been unprofessional and their expectations of staff are unreasonable. The pay rate for casual staff is appealing, as is the staff discount. I had lovely store staff to work with, however it was the unprofessionalism and negativity of higher management that led me to leave the company.
Pros
Appealing casual pay rate
Cons
Not a nice place to work at all
don’t care about anything except for KPIs and sales etc and if you don’t meet the correct amount of sales per day they look down on you and don’t give you many shifts following that.
Wouldn’t recommend working here at all.

Felt unwanted and like I wasn’t trying at all when in fact I was.

Made me feel horrible and this job has scarred me from working retail again for a while.
Bad management, you will be disposable
If you don't meet your KPI's you will lose shifts or possibly your job. Store manager can't actually manage a team properly, no communication, will just stop giving you shifts and pretend you no longer exist. catty employees and no incentives.
Pros
Candles are okay
Cons
easily disposable, no job security, bad work environment, list goes on.
Great Place to work but lots of pressure
I did enjoy the aspects of working here. They taught me so much about management and the teach you so much and push you to better yourself, but what drove me away was that the pressure they put on you to bring customers in was a lot, you have to upsell so much and if you don't you get a sheet you have to sign saying you are not doing your job correctly.

I was assistant manager and I would recommend for people who want to be casual here but higher up management is crazy!
Pros
Company Events, Teaching to manage a store
Cons
Overtime hours constantly for VM, and sometime managers and assistant managers have to come in with no pay.
Good Workplace
Very specific way of doing things, the culture can sometimes be quite sexist, and not LGBTQI friendly.
but overall good company, with amazing training programs.
Casual at Dusk
providing outstanding customer service, opening and closing store, use of point of sale, counting money and use of eftpos and assisting in visual Merchandising.
interesting to say the least...
gossipy and toxic environment
very strict KPIS and pressure/harrasment from upper management when not met

limited hours as a casual (roughly 3 a week)

good staff discount

overall; a place i would personally never back to.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
not many hours, upper management, Kpis
good
candles are very nice customers are fun. I was only aaa Christmas casualll though. wish they would have kept me on but oh well. still a nice place yeah
Very laidback staff
While talking to customers was confronting, the other team members were easy to get along with. Although it’s a lot of
Info to process just for a Christmas casual job
Pros
30% of team members
Cons
All the modules
Fun atmosphere, no advancement
Waves of customers so either a lot to do or barely anything at all. Difficult to advance up to higher roles. Decent pay. Team members are great and fun to work with, however upper management aren’t ideal. Shifts fortnightly.
Pros
Discounts. Great atmosphere.
Cons
Very short hours and no advancement
outstanding place to work
couldn't love my job more than i already do the only downside is the higher management tend to be very pick and choose on favourites also tend to make the employees feel small and unworthy of working there. but otherwise the surroundings and people i work with are fantastic my team are amazing and work with me not without me. Love the team work and organisation we have as a team.
Pros
amazing people!
Cons
some areas of management
Good team
-I had a great team at all stores I worked at however there were communication issues between the stores and higher management which unfortunately caused miscommunications.
Productive, fun environment
I loved my job at dusk, the work was easy and fun. The staff here are amazing, loving and caring. Would happily work for this business again and i reccomend their services to as many people as possible.
Cons
Cost