Dusk

Dusk Employee Reviews

Australia82 reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Team members are lovely but management is horrible

Management do not listen to team members and it creates unhealthy working environments. The hours are good as a christmas casual, however during off periods you would be lucky to get two 3 hour shifts a week.

Pros

staff discount, hourly rate

Cons

huge discrepancy in hours, management, expected to pick up shifts with no notice

Nice place to work, no job security

I loved working at Dusk to begin with, and I still relatively enjoy it. However they are incredibly KPI focused to the point where team members and in store management are super stressed if they aren't getting full green lines every day. Upper management will enforce the uniform policy to what they believe looks good and not the actual policy. You get lots of shifts as a casual during peak periods and then you're lucky if you get two 3 hour shifts a week. They will not hire permanent staff apart from the 2 store managers and you get shifts based on how well you perform. Upper management sometimes speaks quite disrespectfully to casual employees.

Pros

Nice customers most of the time, Good product, Nice team members

Cons

Too many people and not enough hours, Rude and biased management, extremely KPI focused

Did not enjoy

Management is not very good and lacks communication and efficiency. Quite a stressful environment and not worth working there at all. Only okay for an entry level job or experience but not career wise.

Toxic Working Environment

I only stayed with the company for a couple of months as I hated the environment I was working with. The staff was very unwelcoming and the KPIs are insane. I would not recommend this job to anyone in school/uni as it can lead to more necessary stress.

The KPIs are insane

Nice pay, cute stuff but be warned, you are expected to push customers to the extreme, they monitor and expect you to meet a certain:-average money per customer-items per customer-total amount of money made-amount of plates or lighters sold-amount of members served and of those who weren't members, how many you signed up to (a paid one at that!)Not a good first job, only go into this company if you know how to deal with competiviness, poor management and ridiculous KPIs.

Pros

cute stuff?

Cons

everything else

Great staff discounts

Upper management does not promote a team culture or duty of care to staff. Providing negative feedback at all times was a daily occurrence and an expectation.Very high staff turnover with no investigation on why retention rate is so low.

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Unsupportive & negative upper management

Toxic Company

Working at dusk has been the most pointless time of my life. Store management is unprofessional and inefficient, with rules being made up outside the bounds of workers rights to appeal to store managers laziness. While working in the store itself is fine, albeit monotonous, the culture engrained in the store is that of ‘family’. But don’t be fooled, it’s not the type of family you want over for Christmas, more like that uncle you wish was more estranged. Duties are everything from putting candles on shelves to mopping floors all the way to putting more candles on shelves, making this the most boring job I have ever had. Human Resources department is just as useless as any other HR department. When approached with an issue everything that I had said was ignored to the point that they asked me to do exactly what I had very clearly stated I had already done, missing the point entirely. Here’s my advice - Don’t work for this company.If you are working for this company join a union. Complain about bad management and coworkers when you need to. Study up on your entitlements and workers rights. Lastly, never feel any sort of obligation to this company, or any other company, they need you more than you need them and don’t let them forget it.

Great company

Beautiful shop to work in. Team is great and supportive. Products are lovely and customers have a scent filled shopping experience. I started as Xmas casual but was kept on and still learning each shift. Nice retail environment and incentives for staff regarding staff discounts

Pros

Great team

Cons

Xmas can be crazy busy but all retail is. Its to be expected

Love the products and culture

Amazing place to work if you want your whole house to smell amazing. KPIs are no different to any other retail place fast paced, lots of stock to unpack.

Pros

Amazing product Good teams

Cons

No work/life balance for managers

N/a

Very disappointed with the management at dusk, I was given 6 hours for the week leading up till Christmas and got told you will be given 38 hours a couple of weeks before Christmas. I was left with no hours the week before Christmas. The demand to sell products was absolutely ridiculous, so you would get your manager taking your sales to meet your individual quota I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE WORKING AT DUSK…

Extremely beneficial experience and a welcoming culture

I've been very grateful for my opportunity at Dusk and I never felt judged when learning new skills and abilities. You do need to have a good understanding of their products (as you should if you work there) because this really helps you perform. I never experienced any conflict with anyone and my manager was very understanding if we needed to swap shifts with anyone.

Pros

Great discount Fantastic culture Very easy to learn for everyone

Cons

Not many hours every week

Great workplace and really lovely managers

Both upper and lower management are incredibly supportive and often help out in stores. They really encourage you to take challenges and growWorking at dusk has helped me progress in my career because I had extremely supportive managers who always gave me opportunities to learn new thingsGreat work life balance and flexibility as wellThe team in store made me look forward to come into work because everyone would be incredibly helpful and kind

Pros

Staff discount Great team environment Supportive managers Good work hours and flexibility

Cons

Extremely busy during Christmas & Mother's Day

Stressful, unreasonable targets, terrible management

Upper management openly threaten job security for casual and permanent part-time and full-time staff when targets aren’t reached. Personal blame is put on staff when KPI’s aren’t reached, even when it’s a quiet day and no one’s come into store. Upper management emotionally manipulative, shamed for taking breaks, unpaid overtime. Unreasonable time allocated to complete tasks. The pressure put on casuals is insane and upper management has no regard for staffs well-being. If area managers don’t take a liking to you, they will micromanage you until you leave. Massively high management turnover rate. I was there 2 years and saw my team of 10 all quit within that time. I couldn’t leave fast enough.

Pros

nice products, friendly customers, intimate team

Cons

Horrendous management, high turnover rate

Great place to work if you get along with everyone

Work here as a xmas casual my store manager is the best and I get along with most of my colleagues. But the area manager got a terrible attitude always shouting always rude.then the pressures for budget and selling membership.is annoying. And if you don’t sell any extra items like turbo lighters or glass plates you won’t get any roster for following weeks.

Pros

Store Manager is great

Cons

Force selling of extra items and terrible Area Manager

Fun place to work

Dusk pays good, but the pressure put on the staff by the management is unbelievable. Being sworn at and disrespected is how i got treated and no one should be made to feel bad about themselves because of management

NOT RECOMMEND for anyone who has respiratory issues (this place is for strong lungs only)

I worked as a Christmas casual at Dusk and was glad I didn’t stay on as a casual throughout the rest of the year. The overall vibe of the workplace was so depressing. No one even seamed like they really wanted to be there (neither did I). The smell and strong SCENTS were so TERRIBLE for my health. I did not have any medical conditions or respiratory/asthma issues before working there. The first shift onwards, I felt like I couldn’t breathe, was constantly thirsty and would have to go into the back room just to clear my throat. I ended up getting quite sick. It was really unreasonable for them to put all the diffusers on at once, to the point I couldn’t even talk to customers in that area of the store because it was too much. It simply wasn’t worth working there. On top of feeling terrible, the targets were so high. Even though I was constantly asking for feedback and being on top of my improvement, nothing seamed to be enough. I also felt really terrible convincing people to purchase items I didn’t think was worth buying. This was my first paid job, so maybe someone with more experience (and strong lungs) could handle it, but honestly it was just a bad experience.

Pros

I learn’t where I don’t want to work

Cons

Hard to breathe, hard to meet unreasonable targets, very stressful

Very cliquey and a lot of favouritism.

Don’t be surprised if you get a call after 10pm asking you to work the next morning. Shifts are given to those who management likes, not the most efficient workers. Get in good with your boss if you want to slack off and standing about doing nothing. Bosses will critique everything you do if they don’t like you. Over all very stressful and did not enjoy working.

Pros

Discounted candles

Cons

Rude workers

Good for a casual job

Don’t be a manager, easy answer they will work you to the bone and give nothing back. I was treated like I didn’t matter and was starting to be pushed out. Over Christmas as a manager I was told to get it done no matter what it took but couldn’t use casuals. This resulted in me working at least 12 hours a day for 3 months with very few days off. During the year even my days off there was no work life balance as I was answering emails.

Pros

Good pay for casuals

Cons

Terrible treatment of managers

Horrible place to work over all

Just a bad place to work. Managers are not managers and don’t know how to manage. Launceston team is good but otherwise it sucks. Not a good place for teamwork and no one gets a long. A lot of drama. The current manager at the Rosny store is much better than the manager I had.

Amazing

It was an amazing opportunity to be a part of this team. Everyone is very nice and respectful and there is always support. There are many resources that have been made available to you so training is simple to follow.

Toxic Work Environment

Easy enough to get through the interview process as a Christmas casual but regretted accepting the job after just one shift. It's dog eat dog fighting over sales to reach unattainable KPI's, managers stealing your good sales, bullying at every level and being lied to in regards to hours offered. Please do yourself a favour and find a job elsewhere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dusk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Dusk