Dusk
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Dusk Employee Reviews for Store Manager

3.3Work–Life Balance

affordable luxury, great team environment

I have been a store manager at Dusk for 12 months now and the relationships you build with your team are incredible. You are faced with challenging concepts to retail and sales but when you achieve them you feel accomplished and ready to gain more success. It's really how you make it , at the end of the day you are the only person who can make or break each day at Dusk. Work it, embrace it, cdlebrate success and when times are tough just keep on smiling and you will be able to work throuh it. Especially when you have an amazingly supportive team in store. Enjoy and good luck with anyone who applies. bbrc also owns cattle farms so vegetarians and vegans please continue to stand for what we believe in.

Pros

affordable luxury

Cons

managers dont get paid enough for what they do.

Good for a casual job

Don’t be a manager, easy answer they will work you to the bone and give nothing back. I was treated like I didn’t matter and was starting to be pushed out. Over Christmas as a manager I was told to get it done no matter what it took but couldn’t use casuals. This resulted in me working at least 12 hours a day for 3 months with very few days off. During the year even my days off there was no work life balance as I was answering emails.

Pros

Good pay for casuals

Cons

Terrible treatment of managers

Corrupt and Toxic Company

Dusk is a terribly run company, from a customers stand point - It seems like the perfect place to work. It seems like an easy job thats loads of fun, selling pretty candles. How incorrect this assumption is. The management (on every level) is absolutely awful. Running all their employees into the ground both physically and mentally with, absolutely ridciulous and completey unachieveable KPI's and task lists. No consideration for their employees whatsoever. If you are looking for great work life balance, dusk isn't the place for you. You will be expected to work well beyond your contracted hours (unpaid) and punished if you refuse or simply cannot do it. Casuals are offered roughly three hours a week (if they are lucky). Your daily, weekly and monthly KPI's will be non-negotiable and if you don't achieve them, expect to be made to feel worthless and incompetent. If you are looking for a company that respects you as a team member or simply, a person, Dusk is not the place to work. As a Store Manager myself, I had so many of my team members (from both my store and other stores) leave because of how terribly they were treated. Team members often crying before work, during work and after work because of the stress and bullying they endured from management. HR are incredibly inconsiderate, hold no people skills and are completly biased towards management. There is little to no career progression with Dusk and, you pretty much need to be a yes man to get even the slightest bit of praise. In store training is non-existent, no guidance is offered to team members so, if mistakes are made -

Pros

Salary

Cons

Toxic, bullying, no confidentiality or respect for employees, long unpaid hours, unachievable tasks/KPIs

Good Workplace

Very specific way of doing things, the culture can sometimes be quite sexist, and not LGBTQI friendly. but overall good company, with amazing training programs.

Good team

-I had a great team at all stores I worked at however there were communication issues between the stores and higher management which unfortunately caused miscommunications.

Unprofessional Regional & state Manager NSW

Horrible to work for your constantly walking on egg shells , no matter how hard you work its never good enough , area manager & state manager are very critical & negative, Absolutely No people skills at all. Extremely unachievable expectations , Makes it very hard to keep your team positive . A very behind the times retail environment . Would not recommend Dusk

Pros

Great CEO

Cons

poor support alot of criticism & negativity No work life balance

Calming and friendly store to work in

Dusk is a well know retailer of candles and home decor, specialising in scented candles. Typical day is to open and maintain a high level of customer care and satisfaction, to provide the perfect shopping experience everytime. My duties include: Receiving and ordering of stock Filing and banking Scheduling Organising work priorities Delegating duties Daily, Weekly and Monthly reporting Customer Service Merchandising Working with a small but friendly team, no day is the same so it is highly enjoyable. There is constant updates on products so your always learning new things and acquiring new ideas to develop yourself and your skills. There is no hard part to this job, management is always there to lead and help you in any way.

Pros

Discounts on candles

Cons

Retail means weekends and Thursday nights

awesome place to work

stock display , open and closing of store, rostering, loved everything about the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dusk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Dusk
  • Store Manager
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?