Dusk Management reviews

interesting to say the least...
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobart TAS16 March 2019
gossipy and toxic environment
very strict KPIS and pressure/harrasment from upper management when not met
limited hours as a casual (roughly 3 a week)
good staff discount
overall; a place i would personally never back to.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
not many hours, upper management, Kpis
outstanding place to work
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Perth WA15 November 2018
couldn't love my job more than i already do the only downside is the higher management tend to be very pick and choose on favourites also tend to make the employees feel small and unworthy of working there. but otherwise the surroundings and people i work with are fantastic my team are amazing and work with me not without me. Love the team work and organisation we have as a team.
Pros
amazing people!
Cons
some areas of management
Good team
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA9 November 2018
-I had a great team at all stores I worked at however there were communication issues between the stores and higher management which unfortunately caused miscommunications.
Unprofessional Regional & state Manager NSW
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Blacktown NSW31 July 2018
Horrible to work for your constantly walking on egg shells ,
no matter how hard you work its never good enough ,
area manager & state manager are very critical & negative,
Absolutely No people skills at all.

Extremely unachievable expectations ,
Makes it very hard to keep your team positive .

A very behind the times retail environment .
Would not recommend Dusk
Pros
Great CEO
Cons
poor support alot of criticism & negativity No work life balance
Pre good
CASUAL SALES ASSISTANT/TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Clarkson WA19 July 2018
I loved working at Dusk, staff were all friendly and helpful. They always had smiles on their faces and were always happy to be working. Management was good and were all on top of what they had to do.
Calm, clean and friendly working environment.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 January 2018
A friendly working environment in a beautiful and calm store with management giving wanted and constructive criticism. Employees are taught about the products so customers are able to have the best experience.
Nice Product but terrible state management
Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA15 December 2017
Higher management tend to pick ‘favourites’ and marginalise others. Will be very happy with you one day and act rudely towards you the next. Can also be quite passive aggressive and gossipy.

Very intense focus on KPIs. Even if you make budget, if you haven’t sold enough lighters or signed enough people up, it’s not treated as an achievement.

Expectation that employees are bubbly and positive 24/7 and criticism for any down days is difficult.
Pros
Lovely product, other casual team are great
Cons
Bad management, promoting favourites, regardless of your overall skills you will be slammed for a bad day.
dusk was good to work at but i was not given many shifts
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Capalaba QLD19 November 2017
a typical day at work included serving customers, stocking shelves and using the registers. I leaned how to use registers. the management team were incredibly helpful in my time working here. the hardest part of the job was unloading heavy and fragile stock. the most enjoyable part of the job was smelling the candles, learning about the stock and helping customers.
Fun but very poorly managed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW18 November 2017
The money was good but other than that the management was poor.
Wouldn't recommend if you want to further your career. Hard work isn't recognised and regional stores aren't very well communicated too
The management would prefer to ignore issues than deal with them
Being in the store was fun and Christmas was always a good time
No work/life balance, rosters are lousy. Very little support from Area Manager or Cluster Manager.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Australia17 August 2017
Upselling and add ons are a huge part of KP's, even if you made budget for the day they would get on your back about not selling enough lighters.
Little support from upper management when first started.
Team Members were great to work with.
Pros
Small staff discount on products
Cons
Long hours, no work/life balance
Good benefits, terrible culture
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Charlestown NSW8 May 2017
Staff discount of 30% is good.
Minimum wage and if you're a casual you'll be lucky to get 1-2 three hour shifts/week.
Very unstable as they base your shifts on whether or not you're making KPI's. If you don't make them you don't get shifts.
Higher management doesn't care about you unless you're making sales.
They don't take complaints seriously unless they come from a customer.
Ridiculous amounts of pressure to perform well, you have to make certain targets and if you don't you an ROD (record of discussion).
Very hard to get bonuses but they're usually good when you do.
Pros
Bonuses are good, staff discount, if you're a student and only want minimum hours this is the perfect position.
Cons
3 hour shifts in the middle of the day, management sucks.
Overall a good casual job
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC31 March 2017
The job is good fun and the product is easy to sell. Management are generally great, you get the occasional nasty boss but this gets followed up quickly. I don't feel as though my job is secure if I don't hit KPIs under certain managers, but my store currently does not have a manager who makes me feel like that. Great team parties and team culture.
Pros
30% discount, good team
Cons
Occasional nasty manager, lack of job security
Good benifits but Culture was toxic
Materials Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA16 March 2016
Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Liaising with suppliers
Forecasting of Raw Materials and Import Documentation
Immediate Management was great
Fun
Stock take variance report
Working with my immediate colleagues
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Dealing with colleagues from other departments that slid their work onto others
Team orientated great training
Sales/ customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Woden ACT7 March 2016
extremely well organised and well trained team. Thorough training was provided, excellent "family" like team, fun place to work. Management was amazing, very stress free workplace.
Really fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 March 2016
I actually really enjoy working at dusk, great people and management is really organised. The discount is pretty good and the candles are lovely. KPI's can be hard at times but you can't really help not meeting them. Overall great place to work.
Pros
30% discount, people, den/form
Cons
Having to sell add ons (feels like I'm annoying the customer)
Productive and Enjoyable Environment
Retail Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW16 February 2016
Comfortable, productive and enjoyable environment to work in. Management is always on top of duties, staff are presentable and easily supportive and communicative.
Pros
enjoyable environment, skills acquired
Cons
Calming and friendly store to work in
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast, QLD12 January 2016
Dusk is a well know retailer of candles and home decor, specialising in scented candles.

Typical day is to open and maintain a high level of customer care and satisfaction, to provide the perfect shopping experience everytime.

My duties include:

Receiving and ordering of stock
Filing and banking
Scheduling
Organising work priorities
Delegating duties
Daily, Weekly and Monthly reporting
Customer Service
Merchandising

Working with a small but friendly team, no day is the same so it is highly enjoyable. There is constant updates on products so your always learning new things and acquiring new ideas to develop yourself and your skills.

There is no hard part to this job, management is always there to lead and help you in any way.
Pros
Discounts on candles
Cons
Retail means weekends and Thursday nights
The in's and out's of Dusk
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mt ommaney25 February 2015
Turn up at work at least 30 minutes to be able to review any work training and updates, 100% customer focus from the get go. Completely meeting customer needs and giving full product solutions to enhance a great customer experience/ customer base.
Offer promotional deals, add on's to allow customer to get the best our of their products, as well as achieving personal/company KPI's. Complete any VES (Visual merchandising) changes in an effective and timely manner. Take out basic tasks daily banking, rubbish runs, sweep and clean etc. Review daily results and justifying why they are how they are/ do they need improvement/ and how can I improve.

I've learned that confidence can truly do wonders, with that you can achieve the skys limits. In retail terms: great customer base, great results (KPI's).

We have great management support. Thorough training in order to achieve the best results. Supportive and to the point where need be.

Co-workers are all hard workers and are all their to do their job. Ideally to make sure customers are walking away with the best customer experience and meeting KPI's by End of the day.

The hardest part of the job is trying to upsell or add on products to their solutions without being too pushy. However there are other way's around this.

Most enjoyable part of my job is definitely meeting customer needs, making sure they receive their full product solution. What makes it all worth it, is getting acknowledged for helping and taking the time to meet all needs and have them be so very appreciative and giving great reviews.
Pros
Fantastic working environment
Cons
Short hours/ and not enough shifts
Australian high quality candles and beautiful decor items make a very pleasant work place.
Sales Assistant, Visual Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Bendigo Market Place18 January 2013
Each day involves making each customer have an awesome shopping experience by assisting them to find the right product to fill their needs.
Management are very focused on customer service and giving staff the tools to make that possible.
Dusk staff work very much as a goal driven team and achieve all company targets.
I really enjoy my position at Dusk, the hardest thing is not spending my wages on their products.
When customers leave the store happy with the service they receive, then contacting head office to compliment me for a job well done.
Pros
staff discount.
Cons
not enough available hours