Extend After School Care
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Extend After School Care Employee Reviews

Australia14 reviews
The activities and tasks set for the day when the children finish school are poorly set out and not well organised.
Learnt what is involved with being a qualified Educator and how the before and after school care operates and what it consists of.

The management aren't that organised as they come whenever their is a meeting for the other employees but that is not often therefore we are not prepared for when the assessor and rater arrive to the service.

The enjoyable part is working with children and meeting new children that come to the center. Their interests and values on certain things makes our job rewarding as we are educating them to further their knowledge and skill set for when they begin school.
Pros
The salary is reasonable
Cons
You receive no benefits
I enjoyed working in different schools as a team leader. I was given shifts in various schools; which enabled me to experience different school culture.
No support from management, ridiculous work load, no regard for the safety of the children. The workplace culture is very passive aggressive and your shifts are cut if you are unable to work a shift (e.g. if you are called in with very short notice but already had plans such as an appointment).
Extend is generally an ideal company to work with if you are studying. However, I would seriously consider moving to another job/ or company (once you have finish studying) as the pay is simply not sufficient to support yourself financially.
Extend have an excellent Company culture that fosters team work and close relationships with Management. I started as an Assistant and went on to become a Coordinator and was supported by the entire head office team as well as my service staff. They offer Termly PD sessions to their Educators and offer awesome functions for their Educators. I always felt very supported and loved interacting with the children and families. Such a fun place to work!
Pros
Work/life balance, Supportive Management, celebrated Educators
Cons
I worked as a coordinator for a single service for just over a year. I loved the job and the children but found it a struggle to manage the service all on my own due to the ever-increasing admin tasks, lack of support from operations managers (who are out of state and only visit once a term and only ever email to demand submission of tasks), and blatant disregard for concerns for safety. Working to care for the children alone is not best practice, it’s ridiculous to expect adequate supervision of up to 15 kids spread across the spaces, and managing child injuries and emergencies was extremely stressful on my own. I was never offered an assistant even when I had 14 children by myself because it’s technically still ‘in ratio’. They offer so little time to complete admin tasks but still expect it done on time even if that means sitting on the laptop while you’re supposed to be caring for the children. I ended up doing most of it at home in my own time. If it wasn’t for my close relationship with other coordinators I would have found it impossible.
Pros
Good pay, flexible hours
Cons
Limited time for admin tasks, lack of support for single staff services
This job is great for someone looking to get some more experience for childcare/education. The hours are limited (7-9am, 2:30-6pm), so do not expect to be earning a lot of money. Management/ head office is absolutely rubbish and do not care for the welfare of staff. Interacting with the children is very fun, and extend does offer a great variety of activities during after care and holiday programs. However I would suggest looking at other after school care companies for a more supportive working environment.

Extend is always short staffed so if you are available they will give you lots of shifts, however you may also be hassled a lot by staff to fill in for other team members despite being unavailable.

The hourly rate is $25 per hour for an assistant and $29 for a team leader, this may change if you have a childcare qualification.
Pros
Engaging programs
Cons
Short hours, difficult management
I worked for this company for just under 2 years as a team coordinator. Studying towards my teaching qualification I found the work/ life balance to be perfect for my life style, having the mornings to study and afternoons to work. I found I learnt great skills and adored working with children every day. The component that lets this company down is the management!! They are truly awful who show no appreciation towards the staff who work so hard for them. They will promise you when starting out support and any other lie they can conjure up but beware they are sheep in wolves clothing. They present a bully mentality with threats of your job and shifts being taken away it is such a shame to see as the educators who work for this company love what they do however are pushed out by mean managers who only care about the assessment and ratings and not much else very poorly run. Anyone looking to start with Extend I would recommend the job however do it through a different company, one who shows more integrity kindness towards there staff. National manager and operation managers would not know kindness and compassion if it hit them in the face my recomemdation perhaps a smile now and then would help their cases!
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Managment
I have worked for Extend for the last 3 years as an educator through my studies. I have had the opportunity to progress from Service Assistant to Coordinator.
I have a very supportive manager who visits my service regularly.

Would highly recommend for students and anyone who likes working with children!
Pros
Work life balance, supportive management
Cons
Short shift time for assistants
Extend is a good place to work. It is challenging but also very rewarding. I love working with the children and families. I love seeing my hard work pay off when the children don’t want to leave my service!
Pros
Flexible hours, good support, training and promotional opportunities
Cons
Some travel required between schools
Workplace isnt so bad, and you do get a somewhat decent support, However, the management team is very clicky and hard to get into. They do have awesome events etc... They do try to help you out... But they already know who they want and what position, so dont bother applying for any upper positions, because they already know who is going to get that job,
The company and management will tell you that you're an important part of the company but will throw you away without blinking an eye. They expect a lot, you deliver and they toss you out. They can't technically fire you so will bully and harass and cut your shifts till you're non existent. There is a lot of immature nasty staff and management acts the same. It's a shame for the lovely families who entrust these people to care for their children.
Pros
Good work hours
Cons
Harassment, bullying, nasty staff and management
The workplace is great to work in i have learened alot and the management is great and co workers are great the hardest part of my job is staying long hours physically straining. the
I enjoy the outdoor play time with kids most. They enjoy playing with teacher and I enjoy that too. I get a chance to know the kids, their favorite games, likes and dislikes.
This is the best time when I can get closer to the kids.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extend After School Care. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9