EY
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

EY Employee Reviews

Australia56 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 56 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,330 reviews

Highly competitive environment

Global reputation; progressive work culture. Steep learning curve. However, the job is highly demanding and competitive. You can only move up or move out.

DnA - Toxic at best

The culture is toxic for the lack of a better word. There is no teaming, only pulling someone down for your own gains. Merit and knowledge are secondary, being heads down and saying yes to everything your boss says is primary. The counselors aren't interested in anyone's career growth except their own and employees are left on their own to fend for their careers paths, no guidance whatsoever. Team mates who have been in the company since graduates or whoever has spent more time than you, are treated with greater affinity and considered for promotions regardless of their knowledge or skills. Only skill you need to survive is being able to talk no matter what the subject is. Thought leadership is undervalued and selling skills are overvalued. Those who are on a specialist path like techinal programmers or developers are treated secondary to those who are on generalist path. The quality work and experience you bring to the table will be stolen by someone and made theirs, thats the way it works here at EY unfortunately.

Fast-paced work. A wide variety, however you do not have control over what work you want.

Hardest part is getting put on completely different pieces of work which takes a while to adjust and onboard. This does help greatly with learning but you don't have control over what work you want to work on.

Pros

Decent salary

Cons

Long hours, tight deadlines.

EY Australia Global Mobility Team Sydney

Please beware of Global Mobility Consultant team in Sydney. Highly racial based team.Long work hours.Worst work culture no support. Expected to work 24/7 all the days of weekHigh Attrition rate for Mobility Consultant roles. No training provided in structured wayToo much of pressureNot recommended3 people work expected by one person.Harassments by Manager of Mobility team

Pros

Cons

Long work hours, no structured support system, Racial attitude and non inclusive of different ethnic people

Long hours and low pay but good learning opportunities

Longest and hardest I've ever worked with a steep learning curve as seniors/managers don't have a lot of time to teach (because everyone is doing what they can). Tests the upper threshold for work but when you look back you'll be amazed at how much you've learnt and of the friends you make.

Pros

Team culture, training and exit opportunities

Cons

Long hours, low pay

Nothing much

The hours are grueling. The management is not supportive. The teams are not supportive. There are smart people who work there but they are not appreciated. It is a very difficult work environment that does not support work/life balance.

Pros

Nice facilities

Cons

Lack of support from management

Great external brand but...

EY has a powerful brand but the internal capability and culture are a generation behind other more progressive organisations. With a compelling vision the organisation has attracted large numbers of experienced hires, but existing cultural challenges have impacted the ability of the firm to realise it’s growth potential.

Pros

Brand

Cons

Capability gaps, command and control culture, fragmented management

Mix of good and bad

Good place to get exposure to premium clients and train in yourself up in various skills. The bad is that if you are not good at firm politics and nepotism, you will hit a ceiling with your progression.

Pros

Training and exposure to premium clients

Cons

Firm culture and politics

Great firm to work

Flexible working arrangement Great place to work Takes care of the employees Always considerate of work-life balance of employees Good working relationship with Partners and Sr. Management in the firm

Interesting to be part of a global firm

Work life balance is not there, even though they advertise it. Administration employees are seen as a lower rank and are required to work beyond required hours to satisfy the audit department partners

Pros

working in a global unit

Cons

long hours and a lot of pressure

Great place to begin your career with

Very fast paced, work life balance / culture / level of stress highly depends on the teams and clients you get put on. Overall a great place to start your career at because you get to meet so many people.

Biased Management

If you are anything below a team leader then don't voice your issues, simply walk out (that's what i did), as only your TL or managers will be heard no matter how true you are to your work. TL's (like the one I had, and i assume there are many more like her) only use you to go up the ladder. TL' look for a chance to put you in PIP so that they can show it in their yearly review and get promotions. It's an awesome company to work with and can become even better, say extraordinary, if people like these are fired, or at least if management has the minimum courtesy to listen to what even the lower levels have to say.

Productive but somewhat stressful learning experience

Being placed in a big client engagement, daily work was quite stressful and required a lot of adjusting towards. Being put in this situation required me to understand how I work better so that I could be productive but keep myself in a good mental state at the same time. I enjoyed the experience understanding how the company works as well as client companies. The workplace culture is friendly and diverse, and people are willing to help each other out. The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the fast paced environment and completing audit tasks with a high quality. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the auditing process and seeing myself learn and improve throughout the internship.

Hard work, difficult KPIs, but amazing network and individuals and opportunity

Most enjoyable: the people (leaders, juniors), the variety of work, the opportunity, the international connectedness Least enjoyable: excessive admin due to legacy systems, difficult KPIs Good workplace culture, but highly depends on the team you are in and the individuals who lead that team. Culture can differ significantly between teams (even within sub-competencies - i.e. Risk/Performance Improvement etc).

Work life balance was very low

EY is an excellent company to work for, however the work life balance was not that great at the time I was working for the firm. The company offers good opportunities for their employees to learn either via their internal channel or on class.

Professionalism is a Priority

EY Only hires professionals who are capable of delivering. Anybody wanting to work at EY needs to bring their best game and collaborate for success. Opportunities to work at EY will also provide opportunities to develop as a person and a professional.

Horrible culture in Brisbane Valuations team

- Too much dirty politics coming from very senior people. - Valuation senior management tries to get too involved in personal life of employees and then try to misuse it. - Senior management prefers to only work with consultants and don't involve managers as they are insecure. - Employees are judged based on number of hours they sit in the office rather than the quality of work delivered. - Suggest to avoid this team and maybe go for other teams if you are looking for a grad job.

It was a good experience working there.

I worked a normal day from 9 to 5, but a lot of the times i would leave after 6 or even 7, even though I was an intern. Work more in these companies to get more experience as it has paid off.

Technical Accounting focused firm

Highly technical work environment. Fast paced and long working hours. Flexible working arrangements. Lack of direct partner involvement. Lack of mentoring in career development.

Good Place to Work

A good opportunity to grow fast and learn a lot of things. Work with multinational clients and develop a network. You can meet really good people and professionals.

Pros

Educational Benefits and Exchange Programs

Cons

Management, instability after becoming manager, too slow to get the technologies running over the company

EY build my carrier foundation to become a great business leader

Every day learnt something from the works I had. Foundation of my carrier build with EY, helped me to climbed up my carrier ladder in Sri Lanka. I joined with EY as a trainee and within eight months I promoted as Executive and ended as a Senior Executive Level 2. I gathered lot of experience conducting internal and external audits of many industries such as manufacturing, trading, hotel, construction, service and etc. Not only the working experience but also EY creates discipline in my life, how to balance my personal life with the work. EY management is the best. I never had such kind of a leadership. Even we had ups and downs, they are with us and support how to be a quality person. I am a member of the EY cricket team for 3 years. I participated lot of events there not only the seminars and workshops but also fun events such as cocktail parties, annual trips and etc. EY is the best place to do your studies. All the people including management encourage us to continue our studies. Not only in words, they also giving appreciations and promotions once we qualified. Sometimes we had to face problems in collecting data from clients. But end of the day with the instruction of our seniors we gathered the information what we need carry out the audit. The most enjoyable part is the team work. From the bottom to top we are working as family. That the basic thing we need to enjoy our life.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EY. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• EY