Fairfax Media Management reviews

ZERO job security... Profit first
Designer (Former Employee) –  NSW12 November 2018
No point going for a Graphic design job as all design jobs are going to India for cheap labour.

All upper management care about is their annual bonus.
Pros
Work while it lasted
Cons
Too many to list
Great employers - if they don't make you reduntant
EDITORIAL PHOTOJOURNALIST (Former Employee) –  Bendigo VIC28 October 2018
As employers, they're great. The job is rewarding and they're really supportive - even when they regularly fire staff for "cost management".

When I was there, we had 8 photographers on staff. Within 2 years, they'd made 6 redundant and offered a pay cut to the remaining positions. Pretty typical of print media, and they paid handsome redundancy packages and helped us seek other work, but it put unrealistic expectations on those left behind.
Pros
Great culture, enjoyable work and colleagues
Cons
Lack of job security
Fairfax provide opportunities
Classified & Self Service Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Wollongong NSW15 August 2018
Fairfax provides opportunities to develop your skills in all areas of the business through training, coaching and allowing you to advance through to the next level of management or change your career path entirely.
Fantastic hardworking professional company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT6 August 2017
I worked as an Advertising print and digital territory manager. I received excellent industry recognized training. My career progressed quickly to major and national account management and Sydney head office location.
Pros
Fantastic team, great Managers, culture and career advancement.
Cons
company sold, made redundant.
Great
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC25 July 2017
Our client is a reputable transport and logistics company, specialising in truck hire services, Warehousing storage and Management facilities and Container unpacking.

They are currently seeking an outgoing and sales driven BDM to join the growing team. The successful candidate will be required to generate their own leads and travel to client meetings all over metropolitan Melbourne.
Left hand hasn't told right hand what it wants.
Sales Executive - Stock & Land (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC31 May 2017
My personal experience,
Senior MANAGER has given clear direction, middle managers don't carry it out and staff suffer. eg: online sales increased, no budget however a KPI. 14 months of promises to address budget structures to no avail. Market place moved only managers stood still.
Pros
Great product sweet.
Cons
Middle managers have to much history
High stress for min wage
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ballarat VIC19 October 2016
Constantly moving the goal posts regarding commisission and targets. No talking to colleges. Absolute min wage. High stress..
Oh did I mention ABSOLUTE MIN WAGE. Constant nagging from supervisors / managers. No car parks.
Beautiful new office with fantastic ammenities (although there is only one exit.. Disaster waiting to happen).
Pros
Beautiful building
Cons
Low wages
Good work place but..Watch out!!! There is no job security at all..!!
Designer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC14 October 2016
It's a good place to work, Co workers are friendly and supportive.

But Cost cutting is the bitter part, no job security at all, management is only chasing profit, they don't care about their employees or their future, out sourcing is the main problem. All the jobs are done and delivered by Asian countries, difficult to deal with non English speaking out sourcing agencies. Job cuts are happening once in a every year in every department which is very depressing, uncertain and pressure full situations every year. When there is a job cut, management encourage employees to talk to "employment assistance programs" which doesn't even help, and a wise way to wash their hands in such a situation.

Fairfax is loosing the quality of their products and loosing clients.
True story but very sad!!!
Think twice before you join with Fairfax.. No future!! No job security!!
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
No job security, redundancies arise every year, very depressing..
Cost-Cutting is name of game in Media, but if you make the cut can still be good
Network Access Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Pyrmont NSW7 June 2016
Fairfax Media is staffed by mostly dedicated professionals who just want to do the best job they can, but in a friendly and supportive environment. Being part of 'media' also has many fringe benefits and the overall work environment and work-life balance is fantastic.
Unfortunately, 'media' in general and newspapers (still the main income of the company) more specifically have had a meteoric fall from grace in recent years. That has left upper-management in a mindset of 'cut costs by all means necessary', with little thought beyond their own tenure/bonus/share price. So morale is rapidly declining and culture is moving from 'fix the problem' to 'find someone to blame'.
Pros
Work-Life balance, being part of 'the media'
Cons
Recent years, it is all about reducing costs above all else
The work was interesting, my colleagues were great and I enjoyed and took pride in what I did in a team environment and the final product.
News director (Former Employee) –  Wollongong NSW8 March 2016
Pros
Workmates' friendliness
Cons
Upper management's non-interest in product
A very good workplace with a fun, diverse group of pedople; excellent training facilities.
Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District, NSW8 December 2015
Mostly attending to clients needs via the telephone. I learned god computer skills and hiow to approach the different personalities of the clients, Management, in the main was very good and very understanding to my colleagues' needs (Most were females). The hardest part was the physical moving of old newspaper files from the office to the garbage dumps. I enjoyed working on the hard copy part of the paper; rewriting etc and the escort duty was not too bad either. I particularly liked the split times and often had to work into the night; my experience as a midnight0to dawn radio announcer stood me in good stead for that
Pros
Gret place to work; good amenities
Cons
A not so nice part of Upper George St, Sydney
Productive and Informative Workplace
SAP BPC/BW Development and Support (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW22 October 2015
Exposure to Media Industry - challenges and industry knowledge;
Learned additional technical and business skills
Management were supportive
Co Workers were a very good team
Hardest part was changing culture in support of good team and management communication
Enjoyed the business knowledge and excellent team
Pros
Use of latest product versions; Supportive Management
Cons
Culture change
A Company that looks after their Employee's & Customers
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jimboomba Qld27 September 2015
A busy advertising company that looks after their staff and customers. Enjoyed working there, reason for leaving my position of customer service is only due to wanting to expand more on my career a office management away from customer service.
Pros
Enjoyable Workplace
Cons
Customer Service & Sales
Great team environment
Warehouse Operations and Production Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chullora, NSW19 May 2015
During my time with Fairfax Printers I found the company to deliver a great team environment, focusing on building strong working relationships between management and team members, always putting the safety of there employees as there number one priority.
Would prefer not to say
Graphic Design / Typesetter (Current Employee) –  Bowral, NSW19 November 2014
Having to put up with the politics was horrible, not being told what's happening with your job.
High energy corporate under pressure from disruptive technology
Metro & Corporate IT Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Pyrmont Sydney11 July 2014
Managing a professional IT team located in Sydney and Melbourne
Staff management, budget and project management.
Cutting edge technology, daily deadline pressures.
Wonderful bunch of co-workers.
Hardest thing was being involved with the staff shrinkage.
Pros
Always close to the news - local, national and international
Cons
Significant business shrinkage due to on-line competitors
Enjoyable workplace
Design Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC24 November 2013
I've been working at Fairfax Media for over nine years, first as a Senior Designer and now as a Design Manager. In that time I have got to work on some very large-scale national campaigns that integrated across digital, print, outdoor and TV. I have also won the 2011 and 2012 Creative Services Professional of the Year award (www.panpa.org.au) which was a great personal achievement.

My co workers are great to work with and management give me space to do what I do best. I enjoy the diversity of my job, everyday is always different so it keeps my creative juices going.
The best
Digital Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia3 January 2013
I took this role, if Im honest, on the faith of a recruiter who wanted to find a fellow brit a job in Australia. The agreement was that with my experience was in depth, but not in Digital Media, so my ability to learn would be the way I would stay in the role.

I quickly learned DFP and Double click, and with my advanced Excel experience I was quickly earmarked to run reports for the entire campaign management sections, receiving praise from all of my account managers and colleagues for the benefits I brought to the team and from reducing the turnaround times from 24 hours to 90 minutes.

The obvious hard part of the role was just the volume of work, but I never feel pressure such is my professional and life experience.

My colleagues were all young and enthusiastic,which benefits the agency as more experienced staff would be able to direct that enthusiasm.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the areas I was able to input my own ideas based on my experience of administration and organisation, that as strict digital and campaign staff, they might not have been exposed to.

The best job I have ever had, and has made me want to work in digital media from now on.
Pros
gym, coffee, nice building
Cons
hours were excessive, but necessary so not really a con.
good company but struggling to survive
mailroom assistant (Current Employee) –  chullora17 May 2012
Working to ensure timely delivery of products to clients
Coworkers are friendly and helpful
Poor management
Shift work is the hardest part o the work
Has been financially rewarding until recently i am not getting enough work