Family And Community Services Employee Reviews

respectful and non judgmental.
DISABILITY SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  fun and professional29 June 2019
rewarding and fun to be around staff that shows humor when you need it.
Having a Team Leader/Supervisor that shows respect to staff members regardless of their culture.
Having co-workers that know how to important it is to be a team player, and is willing to listen to all sides and not to be judgmental.
Pros
rewarding feeling
Cons
no water machines
Excellent employer
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW31 May 2019
Excellent employer
Approachable
Good solving conflicts
Training to enhance career was encouraged
Salary was reasonable
Flexible hours
Good policies in place
Constructive support
Union was strong we benefited from that
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Flexible hours
great working enviroment and extensive training
client service officer (Former Employee) –  liverpool15 May 2019
great working environment extensive training and good staff
oportunity to make an impact in the community helping the homeless
excellent relationship between staff and team leader
Hitting and exceeding all KPIs
Pros
helping people with real life issues
Cons
Friendly and secure place to work.
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW28 March 2019
FaCS is a safe and friendly place to work, your team quickly becomes like a family, and the management respects your rights to a good life/work balance including taking flex days or leave when needed. The only real downside is the nature of the work with abused or neglected children can weigh on you mentally and emotionally. Although, to be fair, there is counselling etc. provided free of charge offered to combat this.
Perfect place for excellent work experience
Senior Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Australia24 January 2019
I acquired excellent Child Protection knowledge.
Great place to work and learn. Manager and team members were very supportive. Plenty of opportunities for career growth and development . Family friendly work place.
Pros
Excellent work experience
Cons
Good government department in a difficult industry
Disability Support Officer / Key Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Macquarie NSW16 December 2018
Challenging and unpredictable workload, but often very rewarding. Excellent access and communication with immediate supervisors, and regular visits by more senior management. Some issues as usual, but overall, agood environment to work in
Pros
Decent wages, challenging workload interspersed with lots of fun times. Good managers
Cons
Shift work takes a toll at times.
A very good team
Commissioning and Planning Officer (Former Employee) –  Strawberry Hills and Burwood26 November 2018
I was fortunate to belong to the most stable team in my region which resulted in achieving our team and departmental business plans promptly and efficiently.

There was a great working relationship. Any member of the team stepped in to cover other members' work in their absence without being directed by our manager.
Pros
Efficiency within the team
Cons
Nil
Unprofessional management, Micro-management, unjust treatment of new staff,
Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  South West Sydney NSW5 November 2018
When I was first offered the entry-level customer role in the FACS housing contact centre, I was lead to believe that it was a workplace that was full of opportunities, that there would be room for growth within a State Government department that employs over 100 staff in their call centre alone. I was lead to believe that the staff were valued & cared for as much as they did their stakeholders and clients who are NSW’s least fortunate people. But the long-term staff in this Government department who have recently been promoted as team leaders/supervisors acted as though they have just earned the right to be feared and to treat newly recruited staff members as if they were innocent, naïve young children on their first day of kindy who required supervision at all time and had never learnt how to distinguish what’s right from wrong in every situations. In all my years of working as a Public Servant for various Government departments, both Federal and Interstate, I have never experienced so much unprofessionalism and mistreatments by management who abused their authorities and saw their leadership roles as privileges rather than as responsibilities, to lead by example.
I do hope that this unappealing work culture would not go unnoticed for much longer and the senior management would realise this is the main reason for newly recruited staff’s high turnover.
Cons
Micro-management, long-term staff members ill-treatment of newly recruited staff
Customer service officer
CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW23 October 2018
A typical day would include answering phones, counter enquires, client meetings with caseworker, managers and family contacts which will need to be coordinated. Each day is different with new issues with clients, service providers and other non government services. Incoming and outgoing mail and files which need to be documented in the inhouse system. Financial payments for all of the office. The hardest part of the job is time. Some days are better than others. Most people are very friendly easy to work with
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
management
Great to work with, and diversity is amazing
Community Reference Group Chair (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW9 September 2018
I was really pulled out of my comfort zone with this position and i will never look back as I enjoyed being apart of a team where discrimination was never a factor as we all accepted each other with our diverse backgrounds and culture it was truly rewarding.

You were always felt apart of the team and when you were not around it was truly felt by everyone as we all work together to help each other reach the goals set for the business.
Pros
You wanted to be there each day.
Cons
Staff shuffled around
FACS Program Manager
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 August 2018
With this organisation at a time of consolidation and growth.

Liked the initiative attitude of my line of report allowing me to be proactive though 'machinery of government' did at times create inertia.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Length of time to consult and align teams to core strategy/outcomes
government dept
Clerical and Office Support (Former Employee) –  Hunter Valley NSW29 June 2018
high volume work required both in team environment and individually

high stress levels with exposure to sensitive information

volatile clients

high degree of maturity required to balance work demands
Pros
flexi time
Cons
high stress
passionate people
Casework Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Wilcannia NSW5 June 2018
providing support to the caseworkers eg, making calls and gathering information.
i work in a team of four and the culture is respected.
the hardest part of this job is being from the community, but the people have been very supportive.
Pros
Hours are great
Cons
travelling
good
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Wollongong NSW13 May 2018
Facs provide good working environment. I work there as part of a team including nurse unit manager, occupational therapist, GP, Speech therapist ,RN, disability support worker and other administrative staff. I learned many thing from here like life style support plan, behaviour support plan, Comprehensive health assessment program, complex behaviour of different kind of disabled people and its management techniques. I enjoyed the job in facs.
working with FACS
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Goulburn NSW10 May 2018
No longer exsits in the disability age care sector.
were good to work for
flexible hours as a casual.
clients were great to work with.
every day was different you have on job training and paid training outside of work.
Rewarding work place
Principal Project officer (Current Employee) –  Based at Dubbo NSW5 February 2018
A typical work day can vary, from desktop contract management, working in the field with community and key stake holders, designing and developing programs/strategies to address key priority areas.
Managing staff- allocating workloads and reviewing work plans and priorities.
Pros
Flexible working hours, opportunities for career development pathways
Cons
Travelling long distances in remote communities
Toxic Work Environment with Ineffective Management
Out of Home Care Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW19 January 2018
FACs demands a significant amount of your time and commitment to a job that extremely demanding and workload that is consistently excessive with little workplace support.

A team environment is encouraged and there is a heavy reliance on peers for support as management is focused on the numbers and the statistics rather than outcomes for families.

Benefits are award standard and there is no overtime or compensation for the additional hours worked. If you work to your assigned work you're given more, if you work below it you're performance managed.

It can be a rewarding job in working with families but the office and department culture for the way they treat staff are insidious and disgusting, staff are considered expendable.

Which is why the department has ongoing recruitment.
Pros
Working with families for better outcomes
Cons
Ineffective management, lack of support by management, heavy caseloads, no compensation for additional time required
Supportive and understanding team
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW21 November 2017
Community Services provide job security and i have found my team to be supportive.
Managers of caseworkers are understanding and supported where possible and can often offer alternatives to reduce time frames.I enjoy my team and working for the children/families allocated to me.
My search for change is to experience an NGO perspective and casework model.
I work along side many NGO's in my current role, often joint case working and I enjoy the new perspective it brings.
Pros
Supportive team members and salery
Cons
extremely long hours and minimal flex time acquirement
Large, Friendly Inbound Contact Centre
Administration Assistant/Contact Centre Operator (Former Employee) –  Liverpool NSW1 November 2017
* Working in a 24 hour Inbound Contact Centre.

* Taking Inbound Calls from Clients that have called in regards to wide range of services that our company provide and assist within Example: General Enquiries, Feedback, Temporary Accommodation, Fraud and Corruption, Rent Start assistance, Bond Loan assessments, approval applications..
* A multi cultured contact centre environment.
* Hardest part about the job: Clients requirements and needs have been met correctly and all information that was provided by the client has been noted on Clients account file. into the clients file, and requests or information has been forwarded to the appropriate section of the department or to the correct person for further action as required.
*The most Enjoyable Part of the Job: Every call answered relates to a different call or issue. knowing that you have a happy client at the end of your call.
Pros
Fun Event Days and fundraising for charities.
Cons
Shift times can change within a 24 hour period
Fun, bubbly people with such a warm embrace to new faces
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nowra NSW20 September 2017
It was such a awesome year working with FACS, they're such a bubbly bunch who are always open to new ideads and faces, I definitely would recommend working there
Pros
Lovely people
Cons
It was a bit boring after a while