Fire and Rescue NSW Employee Reviews

Bad culture, with substantive leadership, lacks values
Manager - Business Development (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 April 2019
Opinion and personality driven service with shallow ineffective leaders driven by delusions of grandeur.

No staff support or development, ego driven leadership with a lack of care for its staff and personal.

Lack of internal opportunities unless aligned to key Deputies.
Pros
work hours
Cons
people, management, culture
Never a dull moment
Professional Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Bathurst NSW3 January 2019
- Typical day at work, clean entire station, check and report on all tools and equipment including vehicles.
- I've learned to never panic.
- Management are interesting.
- Workplace culture varies station to station but generally good.
- Hardest part of the job would be serious motor vehicle accidents especially involving children.
- Most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Generally respected by the public, kids love us.
Great family and friendly environment
Administration Officer Training (Former Employee) –  Alexandria NSW5 September 2018
Worked in the service for 25.5 years and have loved every moment. Ive had many opportunities to work in various areas and challenged myself and provided change.

A great culture and atmosphere to work in.
Pros
Friendly environment
Good place
Retained fireman (Former Employee) –  Yamba NSW29 August 2018
On call 24/7. Learn a lot of life saving skills. Local management very good. Workplace culture real good. Hardest part was attending road accidents with fatalities. Most enjoyable knowing you have helped someone.
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Not being able to save someone
Rewarding place to work
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Mascot NSW12 February 2018
Best and most rewarding job in the world with a phenomenal work/life balance. Ongoing training and support provided, career progression and opportunities to work with different people and in different areas.
police service
firefighter (Current Employee) –  City of sydney31 July 2017
the police force was a damaged profession it has improved but the law didnt protect the workers and still dont. i found that the courts did not help police keep safe and the public thought police work was bad and corrupted they did not respect the police and i cant work where i am not respected
Pros
safe and rewarding job
Cons
there were bad characters in the job
Great place to be associated with
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW24 April 2017
I have been a member of the band many years & have enjoyed every minute of it. When asked to take take over the Managers role, I was honoured & fortunate to do something I really enjoy with this group of people & our fantastic sponsors, Fire & Rescue NSW Band.
Pros
Enjoyment & Travel
Cons
challenging working environment, continuous opportunities to learn new skills.
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Seven Hills NSW17 April 2016
Never the same day twice, interactions with other emergency departments and the community on a daily basis.
Working within a multicultural and divers team.
work as a fire fighter
Fire fighter (Current Employee) –  bega1 March 2016
great opportunities to serve your community and learn great skills and better your awareness in a emergency situation .Earning a retainer while on an on call bases and an hourly rate.
Pros
learn skill for life
Cons
be fit
Always active environment and never boring
AREA ADMINISTRATION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 February 2016
A typical day at work is always unpredictable in my position. I can start as early as 7am and finish at 7pm depending on how busy it is in the office. Career development is great as I have great managers. They are very supportive and always willing to teach and mentor others. My co-workers range from high ranking officers to firefighters and administrative and trades staff. I have a friendly and outgoing personality so I get along with many people and it's a very friendly and understanding environment. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help everyone who needs it but it's still rewarding knowing that we look after each other. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is hearing " Thanks for all your hard work, it helped me allot..." Having others recognise that you're there to help is rewarding enough. I've learned allot - it's taught me as a civilian that there's a different world out there than what I'm used to and has given me a new perspective and appreciation for those that risk their lives in that world for ours.
Pros
Friendly people, great cause, career development, flexible hours, job recognition
Cons
workload can be heavy
Loved working for NSW Fire & Rescue
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW30 August 2015
Loved working for NSW Fire & Rescue only I was there for 22 years and it was time to move on and learn new things.

Loved the Team Environment
Was lucky enough to have worked and gained experience in most section on NSW Fire & Rescue, my actual rolls on a daily basis was Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
i am a retired fireman
hazmat technician (Former Employee) –  sydney2 August 2015
i have not worked since 2002 and i am trying to get back in the workforce. while i was working as a firefighter i was employed as a hazmat technician and specialised in chemical spillages and toxic enviroments
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
A demanding and satisfying job that required the utmost dedication.
Previously Qualified Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW16 June 2015
Overall, being a firefighter is a very rewarding job and always gave me satisfaction that I was performing duties towards saving life and property.
On call fire fighter
Retained Fire Fighter (Current Employee) –  Wallerawang, NSW5 May 2015
There is a great range of learning on the job with on going training. House fires are hard to handle but you know you have helped as much as possible.
Pros
learning everytime you go to work
Cons
being on call
Good Team
Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Sydney14 April 2015
It's a friendly team to work with, very easy going.

Everyone work's great in a team

Not much of a variety, no challenges, love to of been more
Great work experience! got to see what it was like to be a firefighter.
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Alexandria Fire Station25 March 2015
It was a great work experience course where we were taught about five skills a firefighter would use. We were also taught about how the fire brigade works for example we learnt about the communication center where all the calls happen. Without the communication they would not hear about fires.
Pros
Free work experience
Productive workplace
GIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  alexandria, NSW4 February 2015
good place to work where your always kept on your toes in a busy and comfortable work environment. great people around you.
ok to work with
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT5 November 2014
very friendly environment, good budget systems and fair trining provided
Pros
good systems in place
Cons
too much paperwork
Community minded, mateship, respected position
Station Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 February 2014
Every day is different from the roles you take part in or the people you work with or meet on the job.
You learn life skills and become aware that life can change in a heart beat through simple acts.
Hardest part of the job is wittnessing people in distress or the death of innocent people. Though the job can be very satisfying by being able to help people and even saving a life.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
shift work
Diverse and heart pumping experiences
Fire fighter (Current Employee) –  Singleton, NSW23 November 2013
Different jobs every day working with great people and helping the community is a great feeling.long hours and exposure to harsh conditions come with the job thats why its so hard to get in we wouldnt want a weak scared of heights bloke saving us 4 storeys above the ground would we.