Fitness First Employee Reviews

bad and soul sucking place to work
Member Service Consultant/Reception (Former Employee) –  Richmond VIC16 May 2019
I would not at all recommend working at fitness first (Richmond club). If you are applying for a role as an MSR (sales/customer service) you will be treated like garbage and the wage is not at all worth the hassle for $20 an hour!!!!! I've worked over 10 customer service jobs (in lesser job roles) and by far these have been the worst customers - rude, entitled, precious, pretentious, and very much bullies. The environment of the club is very much like a high school yard, most staff and members don't treat the newbies nicely - not friendly, approachable or welcoming. The staff management is cold and treat you like you're of no value, especially if you have the reception job. You won't get your breaks either unless you constantly ask for them. There are some very very lovely staff and members (that helped to keep a positive work atmosphere)... but overall it was a degrading and undervaluing job. Members have made staff members cry and i dealt with a handful of confrontations. I'm from suburbia so it was really had for me this type of atmosphere and dealing with these kinds of people. I don't want to be so negative and i generally have a positive outlook on things but there is definitely not a lot of nice things to say about this club.

Also, if you have the reception role you will handle the grunt of the work with memberships (initial customer interactions, answering calls/emails and handling bookings, processing paperwork for memberships) and you won't be included in the celebrations when the club makes sales, etc.

The company may be okay to work for, but CHOOSE ANOTHER
  more... CLUB!!!!!!! DEFINITELY NOT RICHMOND!  less
Pros
the handful of nice people (members and staff), free gym membership
Cons
wage, management, customers (members), no breaks, bad atmosphere and people treatment
Get lots of classes but deal with bullying from management
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW12 April 2019
Worked there for many years and dealt with workplace bullying from management and getting accused of things that weren’t true so the pay rate wouldn’t go up.
No loyalty towards instructors who have taught there for a long time.
Management don’t listen to members
Pros
Members
Cons
Not great management
Want to become a Sales Champion, this is where you go
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 April 2019
True breeding ground for grabbing a pen and learning the hustle of sales, just like The Wolf of Wall Street.

Fitness First teaches you all the skills of persuasion that drive customers towards sales.
Bad place to work for
Admin / Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  All of Melbourne Vic9 April 2019
• Membership Consulting
• Staff Supervision
• Customer Service
• Stocking control and selling merchandise
• Members First/ Sales First Software
• Clean the Gym
• Open / Lock up procedures
• Cashiering
• Sales
• Data entry
• Log maintenance

Club Managers wouldn't support staff.
If you are sick you must find your own cover or you go to work sick.
Work place bullying.
Pros
Free Gym membership
Cons
Find own cover or go to work when sick. Poorly paid. work place bullying from managers
A great start in the industry
Personal Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Balgowlah NSW3 April 2019
Typically, your day consisted of 1-on-1 catch up with your PT's helping them build their business, rostering of Level 1 PT's, scheduling small group training and sourcing/interviewing potential new trainers.
Weekly you reviewed fitness department budgets and where on top of club budgets as well.
Hardest part of the job is the constant push for getting new people into memberships and recruiting decent trainers.
Pros
Working in the fitness industry
Cons
Long Hours, minimal management salary
Understaffed at times.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 March 2019
Work life balance is great, as a level 1 trainer or a Front of house staff, there's very few hours to go around with more and more cut backs to monthly budgets. The local club managers do their best to stretch the budget but it's clear there are more staff needed at times. The one area they do employ is membership consultants, there's a great deal of those, but the retainers aren't great and the budgets often a bit maladjusted for the season. They end up working additional hours of overtime for no pay with the desperate goal of hitting the member budget, only to go home with zero reward if they're short by one or two members that month.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Pay
Nice place for a young yet busy adult
Member service representative (Former Employee) –  Castle Hill NSW20 February 2019
The environment is good and job satisfaction is a bonus as well as being paid well for your hard work though long hours are expected to reach difficult kpi’s
Pros
Good commission
Cons
Long hours unpaid to hit kpi, slow progression
awesome spot
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA20 January 2019
This is the martial arts school to train in if you are looking at learning a truly traditional martial art with real standards!

This class has instructors who have been training for many years, standing the test of time due to their supportive and professional teachings.

I have trained at this class for more than 10 years and will continue to train in their classes as the instruction is second to none and I am always challenged to improve my skills.
It was a fun, energetic and challenging role in the Fitness Industry
Customer Service Manager/2IC (Former Employee) –  George Street NSW12 November 2018
It was a fun, energetic and challenging role in the Fitness Industry, working within various clubs, I was selected for Management Training and then further selected by the Customer Service Area Manager of the Inner City Clubs
Fun but Hard
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  New South Wales18 July 2018
Great people to work with but long hours and lots of pressure put on you to hit sales targets and achieve budget. There is also a lot of competition created between sales people and also clubs. You need to work hard to earn your commission pay.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Long hours, the pressure
fast paced
Sales Consultant and reception (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 July 2018
morning routine 10m meeting go thorugh daily KPI'S and targets, section between oiutreach both internal and external whilst also coverig front desk during busy periods.
Pros
good enviroment
Cons
travel
Fun and exciting work environment
Member Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 May 2018
Working at Fitness First brings you together with like minded people who are passionate about health and fitness. There is plenty of opportunity to grow and move to different roles.
Productive and fun workplace.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 April 2018
I have been working as a receptionist at Fitness First and often work at different clubs. This has made me use my skills of adaptability to both new workplaces and making relationships with different staff and customers.
A fun, fast paced environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia23 January 2018
If you don't mind being on your feet all day long and you enjoy meeting new people this job is for you! Fitness First allowed me to meet a ton of new people and gave me the opportunity to enjoy living in Australia. It is a fast paced job where you have to scan people into the gym, clean the gym floor, keep the lockers of the gym clean, make sure the gym members are satisfied, while also sell gym products. It is not an easy job, but it is enjoyable!
Pros
People, environment, locations
Cons
Hours, standing, language barrier
fast-paced, competitive sales environment
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 December 2017
Great place to workout, decent place to be a trainer or receptionist, awful place to be a membership consultant (proven by high turn-around rates). Always a great life experience.
Pros
free gym membership; commission
Cons
must buy uniform; unrealistic expectations; heaps of pressure
Ottima esperienza lavorativa
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sydney15 December 2017
Formazione personale e lavorativa con un ottimo rapporto con I colleghi di lavoro e clienti.
Eccelenti risultati ottenuti con I miei clienti.
Great team environment
Project Manager / Architect (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 November 2017
Fitness First is probably the best company I worked for.
Great team environment and personal development was a focus. The Team Manager always supported us. Training and development were frequently given. I always felt appreciated... I came to work for what the company did for me, which in turn lead to my overall success in the company.
Greedy and toxic
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Erina Fair NSW3 October 2017
Fitness First is a very greedy and toxic work environment. They do not care about their staff or clients everything revolves around money. Management is a mess, constantly rude to staff and place excessive pressure on them without sufficient training.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Stress for little money
personnal trainer
PERSONAL TRAINER - SELF EMPLYED (Former Employee) –  Epping VIC28 August 2017
At first the job was great managers, and then when fitness first decided to close the doors, I lost all my clients but they still what there rent. And wouldnt let me work so I didn't pay rent as I felt it was here fault that all my clients left.
Pros
free training
Cons
late nights and some every early morning
chill and good place to work
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW21 June 2017
a great place to meet long lasting friends and pay is good if you work hard, free membership for you plus one for your friend, heaps of benefit for new members.
Pros
friends and training
Cons
micro managing