Fitness First
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Fitness First Employee Reviews

Australia75 reviews
Fitness First provides an incredible place for you to grow as a sales person, and the commission gives you quite the incentive to work hard every day and develop yourself as a sales person.
The support staff and management create opportunity for you, and push you to develop.

I have thoroughly enjoyed working for Fitness First and would encourage anyone interested in starting as a Fitness Professional to divulge and trial with them
Stay clear from this place. Avoid at all cost. Nepotism, sexism and racial profiling. If you’re not part of the inner circle you will be mistreated. Efforts and your performance Don’t mean anything.
I would never recommend anyone to work at fitness first. They have poor management and like to bully and disadvantage people.
I had the worst experience in all of my working career.
Pros
Cons
Bunch of bullies
Recently finished up at fitness first due to a huge amount of favouritism and unprofessional management. No confidentially between management and staff.
The best part about working at Fitness First was the team environment, I absolutely loved the people I worked with and we did have a lot of fun.
I've built long lasting friendships with many people there, however I just didn't love the sales position.

I'm all for a fast-paced workplace but the targets and KPI's, I felt, were unattainable in the area I was living. Management at the time wasn't stellar and not to mention we never saw any of the promised "bonus" money as a result of hitting monthly budget.

There were many positives but they unfortunately didn't outweigh the negatives.
I think for a person coming out of being certified, i don't believe you should go to fitness first right away. It's a challenging way of building your confidence and business, however if you believe you have the dedication and motivation to push through that challenge you will succeed. It has got to do with you. The management team will always be there to support your business when you need.
Good experience with the members and the management.
Had various activities to develop business and exercise skill set.

Completed Level-1 training for 6 months.
it was a fast paced, competitve environment with some challenges. You would need sound interpersonal skills and ability to manage conflict and be productive and know what standards are required of you to meet in every way as an employee.
At my gym it was difficult to make sales because the equipment was bad and they charged too much. Were not willing to help their employees with sales, just blamed them for their gym not being up to scratch for the general public
In my experience, the company is very focused on the bottom line and profitability - which is fine, businesses need to do this - but they have a real disregard for employees. This is just my experience, but I worked there for many months and met the club manager maybe a handful of times at most, and he introduced himself to me every single time as if we'd never met. I know some people like working there but others are like me as well.
They help you as long as you are making them money and helping them out but this only goes one way. They will turn their back on you as soon as you need help.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Colleagues and members were so nice and it was a positive work environment to be apart of. Though line/middle management needs some assistance to help the team overall (probably more training).
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Commission scheme does not have integrity
Having worked for ff for sometime this has been the worst it’s been, even worse than before they went into administration, now into there second administrator.
Unnecessary Long waits on technical issues in club for example, months for a broken blowed out speaker still unfixed, harsh HR responses to you when you have reached out, rather than trying to work with their long term employees to help them within their roles. Management rude to instructors in front of members.

Enforcing unreasonable & unrealistic expectations for GX instructors each year, offering zero kickbacks on these high level expectations, it’s like they want first class instructors but give you absolutely nothing in return to maintain their expectations of you.

We are employed technically, though only as a contract causal, if you are unable to teach your class you don’t get paid & are required to seek your coverage even though you don’t get paid to do so.

No one in management seems to care in FF, no empathy very cold. Its so obvious now everyone is out for their own agenda, type of experience, which leaves you feeling alienated most days & not valued.

There is a very strong divide now, between management & staff they act like apathetic robots who lack any form of real humanity. My dream was fitness I love fitness but fitness first takes it all & squashes it into pretty much nothing- take take take money money money, sums it up perfectly!
Pros
Members 100%
Cons
Ongoing demanding high expectations, with no kickback for doing so, lack of caring management
I had a great team & manager at the time, which make all the difference in the world. Quick training conference was great, the most enjoyable part of my was helping people.
Pros
Great team & management
Cons
long hours on the phone
I worked for Fitness First Carindale in Australia and it was brilliant! I learnt so much and became VERY successful as a salesman for the company. I won top salesman heaps of times and broke a Queensland state record. My managers were friendly and approachable when I needed help and always had time for us. I miss this place massively.
Pros
Career progression
Cons
Over times at close out
In this role, your sales muscle is the one you need to train most frequently when you start out at the bottom rung of the ladder. It's kind of a given that you must be good at the other stuff (training clients, delivering group fitness classes, building rapport with members etc). Also, the role might be part time, but you are expected to be flexible with that. Meaning, your business building is sort of on your own time, which means anybody with a full time job will need to think twice before dabbling with this "part time and a half" endeavour. But, the satisfaction of teaching movements and exercises to beginners is bar none, and those with a flair for group exercise delivery will enjoy the role. But make sure you do, while you last in it, because in the end, it's about the sessions and sales. You will last if you can sell (and obviously train with an acceptable level of expertise).
Cons
No Job security
I would not at all recommend working at fitness first (Richmond club). If you are applying for a role as an MSR (sales/customer service) you will be treated like garbage and the wage is not at all worth the hassle for $20 an hour!!!!! I've worked over 10 customer service jobs (in lesser job roles) and by far these have been the worst customers - rude, entitled, precious, pretentious, and very much bullies. The environment of the club is very much like a high school yard, most staff and members don't treat the newbies nicely - not friendly, approachable or welcoming. The staff management is cold and treat you like you're of no value, especially if you have the reception job. You won't get your breaks either unless you constantly ask for them. There are some very very lovely staff and members (that helped to keep a positive work atmosphere)... but overall it was a degrading and undervaluing job. Members have made staff members cry and i dealt with a handful of confrontations. I'm from suburbia so it was really had for me this type of atmosphere and dealing with these kinds of people. I don't want to be so negative and i generally have a positive outlook on things but there is definitely not a lot of nice things to say about this club.

Also, if you have the reception role you will handle the grunt of the work with memberships (initial customer interactions, answering calls/emails and handling bookings, processing paperwork for memberships) and you won't be included in the celebrations when the club makes sales, etc.

The company may be okay to work for, but CHOOSE ANOTHER
 - more...
Pros
the handful of nice people (members and staff), free gym membership
Cons
wage, management, customers (members), no breaks, bad atmosphere and people treatment
Worked there for many years and dealt with workplace bullying from management and getting accused of things that weren’t true so the pay rate wouldn’t go up.
No loyalty towards instructors who have taught there for a long time.

Management don’t listen to members
Pros
Members
Cons
Not great management
True breeding ground for grabbing a pen and learning the hustle of sales, just like The Wolf of Wall Street.

Fitness First teaches you all the skills of persuasion that drive customers towards sales.
• Membership Consulting
• Staff Supervision

• Customer Service

• Stocking control and selling merchandise

• Members First/ Sales First Software

• Clean the Gym

• Open / Lock up procedures

• Cashiering

• Sales

• Data entry

• Log maintenance

Club Managers wouldn't support staff.

If you are sick you must find your own cover or you go to work sick.

Work place bullying.
Pros
Free Gym membership
Cons
Find own cover or go to work when sick. Poorly paid. work place bullying from managers
Typically, your day consisted of 1-on-1 catch up with your PT's helping them build their business, rostering of Level 1 PT's, scheduling small group training and sourcing/interviewing potential new trainers.
Weekly you reviewed fitness department budgets and where on top of club budgets as well.

Hardest part of the job is the constant push for getting new people into memberships and recruiting decent trainers.
Pros
Working in the fitness industry
Cons
Long Hours, minimal management salary
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fitness First. Our community is ready to answer.