Play YouTube video button

Flight Centre Employee Reviews

Featured review
Flight Centre selected this as a representative review
Great development and culture
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Brisbane25 October 2018
I started as a consultant and was able to progress into leadership from there. I have had amazing development, lots of travel opportunities and made great friends along the way.
Pros
get to sell travel
Cons
Great culture and incredible people
Digital Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 May 2019
A great place full of passionate people who love this little blue marble we call home and want to make it easy for people to see every inch of it. They also understand that we all have a life outside of our 9 - 5 and provide an excellent work-life balance.
20 May 2019

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your positive experience working for us.

20 May 2019

what I learnt working a flight centre
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 April 2019
DO NOT WORK HERE

The hours are incredibly long and UNPAID EXTRA HOURS.

The salary is already very low.
We are paid 8.30-5.30 . My team would make me come in at 8 am and when I went to leave at 5.30 they would look down on me as if why was I leaving early. Whenever I would arrive at 8.00 am or leave at 6pm I was always the first person there or first to leave.
I was told to "take a half an hour break while I can because I wont have much of a chance"
This is a very unhealthy work environment. Not to mention they jack the prices up on flights and accomodation to whatever they feel like. I personally can not rip people of like that.

If you want a happy lifestyle DO NO WORK HERE.
Pros
working with nice team members
Cons
hours, pay, lunch breaks, commission is low.
20 May 2019

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of experience working for us.
"Travel Consultants work on a 40 hour roster which, if in a retail store, usually includes late night trading and a rotation of weekends. There is no requirement for our staff to work anything more than reasonable additional time like other workplaces, however because earning potential is uncapped, many choose to work longer than their rostered hours in order to finalise more business, be even more successful and earn more commission.

All staff have access to free health and wellness consultations, discounted (free in some locations) gym memberships, free counselling sessions and financial planning.
"

Good Company, Just Team Leaders Can Be A Pain
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Illawarra NSW26 April 2019
Only been here for over a month, 4 Week training was fun but feel like you dont learn what you need to know for life in store, Staff can be quite rude especially my Team Leader if I dont know a product or Area I get yelled at and called stupid, I have been wanting to change store but no luck yet. Its very VERY goal focus you have to try get your targets or you do get yelled at once again (this could just be my team leader) but it can be hard when you are only new in store and not trying to mess anything up. It can be fun and entertaining at times seeing where people want to go and see.

I would recommend this job just wish I could be in a better store with more foot traffic and a better team leader.

Also when you see that guaranteed minimum earning is over $39,000 thats not quite true im only getting $37,000

Just wish Training would cover alot more such as top deck or other suppliers.

JUST NOT THAT NOT ALL TL'S ARE THIS WAY
Pros
Work Lifestyle balance
Cons
Team Leader
29 April 2019

Thank you for sharing such a balanced review, even though there are elements of the experience in your store environment that are in need of improvement.

Flight Centre takes bullying and harassment very seriously and is committed to ensuring that all team members are treated with respect in line with company values and policy. Other than your review here (which we are grateful for), you have other avenues to explore while being an employee with us, which can help improve your experience:

1. Speak with the recruiter who placed you in your role - they can work through the concerns with you and help find a suitable solution, or escalate the matter on your behalf. Maureen Bell, our recruitment manager for NSW would really like to hear from you on recruitment.syd@flightcentre.com or
02 8121 2188 so she can help.

2. Speak with your Area Sales Leader. If you haven't yet met them, you can find them in Phonebook by looking up your manager and who they report to.

3. Use our whistleblower service - you can report your concerns and choose to remain anonymous if that's your preference. To access the service, go to The Hub, click on FlightDeck, and search for 'Whistleblower Portal'.

We also offer confidential guidance and support through free resources such as the Employee Assistance Program, details also available on FlightDeck.

The base salary for first year travel sales consultants is $37,000 plus commission, however are two hours per week paid at an overtime penalty rate (the working week is a 40 hour week rather than 38), which means guaranteed earnings are at least $39,000. There  more... are further penalty rates applied for evenings and weekend work, so depending on your roster it can be more.  less

Terrible
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Travel Consultant1 April 2019
The job is not for people faint of heart. It's an aggressive work environment and I wouldn't recommend it to a lot of people. The training is extensive and helps a lot being introduced to the role but it is nothing like they make it out to be in training.
8 April 2019

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us. It's true that the role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance based pay. It's not something that everyone will enjoy, however if you enjoy working toward goals and a pay structure that grows as you grow, you'll enjoy it here.

Great Product, but ever changing management decisions
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Townsville QLD28 March 2019
Selling travel is extremely rewarding and satisfying, and I enjoy helping my clients realise their travel dreams. I have learned a lot in my time with Flight Centre Travel Group, though training provided on systems and such is mainly self directed instore. An ever changing focus on goals and procedures does make it difficult to consistently reach targets and goals
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Long hours and poor work/life balance
1 April 2019

Change is one of the constants at Flight Centre and one of the reasons we continue to adapt and succeed as one of the largest travel groups in the world. Travel Consultants work on a 40 hour roster which, if in a retail store, usually includes late night trading and a rotation of weekends. There is no requirement for our staff to work anything more than reasonable additional time like other workplaces, however because earning potential is uncapped, many choose to work longer than their rostered hours in order to finalise more business, be even more successful and earn more commission.

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback.

Cult workplace
TRAVEL CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Cairns22 March 2019
Terrible salary
Commission structure is horrible
People are really sucked in to believing it is good pay when it is not
You either love the environment or you hate it
25 March 2019

As at October, 2018, guaranteed minimum earnings for a first year consultant with no prior experience is $39,920 per year. This can increase up to $57,582 for a qualified and experienced consultant. Penalty rates for weekends and evening work are paid in addition to these amounts as well as employee commission payments which operate on a scale from 10% to 35% of the total monthly company commission that you achieve.

Very fun work environment but can be very stressful and long hours
Travel Agent/Assistant Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Charlestown NSW3 March 2019
Lots of fun if you have the right manager and team. Does not pay great though for the hard work you put in.
Perks can be very good though if you go well and hit your targets. You have to be a very good sales person to succeed.
5 March 2019

Not my cup of tea
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA4 February 2019
Flight Centre employees need to be of a certain breed. If not no matter how hard you try to change, you will struggle to make it in the business.
The workplace culture is very one work smarter not harder and they are all really into the rewards they receive for this. It can be a toxic environment depending on what your team is like.

The hours are long and the rewards are scarce but if you know how to work it to your favour it can be a rewarding job.
11 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre. It's true that the role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance based pay. It's not something that everyone will enjoy, however if you enjoy working toward goals and a pay structure that grows as you grow, you'll enjoy it here.

We believe we have a very strong and positive culture, however we do accept that Flight Centre is not for everyone and we are sorry that you did not have the positive experience that we endeavour to provide for all our employees.

Amazing company culture
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Chermside QLD24 January 2019
Love everyone I work with and the opportunities that this role comes with. It's a tough job but there is so much more then money involved, the support is incredible.
Pros
Support
Cons
Work life balance
28 January 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us!

Fun workplace
Accounts Payable Officer (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Sydney22 December 2018
Fun and social workplace however large workload and not many progression opportunities. Salary not too great. Enjoyed work events. Very repetitive work processing invoices in accounts payable.
Pros
Social events
Cons
Overworks employees
1 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre. We wish you the best with your future and hope that our paths may cross again some time.

Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 December 2018
Work Hard Play hard
State Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  North West Melbourne21 November 2018
As regional manager I wore many hat's from HR, to marketing and product specialist to Meeting faciliator, to Motivator to Analyst, there were never two days alike and for me variety is the spice of life !
Pros
Great Travel Perks, awesome people
Cons
Job can consume you.
26 November 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback.

A wonderful company with a unique culture
Training Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 November 2018
I can honestly say that I can't imagine working for another company I would enjoy more.

I work with an amazing team of people and the work itself is rewarding and challenging. Each day I am exposed to inspirational leaders and I have been given amazing travel and career opportunities.
Pros
Amazing team. Rewarding work. Personal growth & development. Exposure to inspirational leaders
Cons
I can't think of any current cons with my role.
26 November 2018

Customer service sales based role
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sydney Inner Suburbs NSW10 November 2018
If you're looking for a challenging career with multiple paths to success then this is the career for you.
I'm not going to lie, it will be hard and you will think about quitting, however I can assure you that those moments will pass and you will be so please you didn't quit.

Work life balance is great, I work part time and manage a store. Flexible rosters, educational leave, famil trips, incentives, career opportunities, finance roles, marketing roles, wholesale and product roles. There is so much that this company has to offer. Multiple sites to choose from.

Salary and commissions based role with bonuses.

This role requires you to be personable, motivated and driven. You must have a passion for travel and be able to hold a good conversation.
Cons
Staff leave after not giving it at least 6 months
26 November 2018

Our turnover rate is something we are working on and, as at November 2018, is 28%. We think that will improve as a result of the new Enterprise Bargaining Agreement that was agreed on last month, which offers a better pay structure and a range of other benefits.

Best thing I did was leave this company
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 October 2018
People may not have had the same experience as I did and I completely respect that but in my case I feel as though I was completely used up by this company.

If you are looking for a career in travel, I would look elsewhere.
Pros
They hire the best/nicest people - you will make friends
Cons
Everything else - money - hours - management
19 November 2018

It's true that the a role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance based pay. It's not something that everyone will enjoy, however if you enjoy working toward goals and a pay structure that grows as you grow, you'll enjoy it here.

We understand that different leadership styles can play a significant role in your enjoyment of, and performance at work. We are focused on developing great leaders however we are aware that not all leadership styles suit everybody. When building our teams, we try to mix personalities and styles that work well together however sometimes things don't go as planned. Staff who find themselves having difficulty in their current store are encouraged to speak with their area leader as they may be able to be placed into a different store with a manager whose leadership style is a better fit for them.

Travel Consultants work on a 40 hour roster which, if in a retail store, usually includes late night trading and a rotation of weekends. There is no requirement for our staff to work anything more than reasonable additional time like other workplaces, however because earning potential is uncapped,  more... many choose to work longer than their rostered hours in order to finalise more business, be even more successful and earn more commission.

Good nice company
ONSITE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  South Brisbane QLD17 October 2018
A typical day i have to multi-task constantly between tickets, walkins and emails. I have to be fast paced to maintain the amount of work coming in.
I constantly have to learn new things as I have to think on my feet and work things out for myself.
Management tend to trust their workers and let them work their own way and will only step in if there is an issue.
I'm supporting around 2000 staff on my own so I have to manage my time very well and organise things constantly.
I enjoy the people i work with.
Pros
buzz nights, conference and drinks
Cons
amount of tickets coming in

Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 September 2018
Good company to work with to learn about thew travel industry and develop your network. They invest a lot in training and development. Very strict on sales target. Average retainer and top up by commission. The more you sell, the more you make.
Pros
Travel perks and discounts, global ball, monthly team meeting after hours, brightness of future
Cons
Average salary for new starters
Great company culture
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Perth WA26 August 2018
There are so many opportunities available if you are driven and passionate about what you do.

The training and support given are great and the travel opportunities are also amazing.
19 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre! We wish you the best with your future and hope that our paths may cross again some time.

toxic work environment that is propped up with alcohol
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Morayfield QLD13 August 2018
was there for more than a year, I saw managers come and go, I saw lots of other staff come and go.

Management and corporate would see the high turnover, asked what the problem was, then ignored the answer.

The payment and commission structure was setup in a way that you only get 1.5% of what you put through the till, so if you sell a $100 flight, you personally get $1.50 thats it. Their base wage is minimum wage, doesn't matter if you mark it up or over charge the customer, your percentage doesn't change.

So you try you hardest to get sales, to book travel, to learn all the systems and work with all the suppliers.... only to have long hours and poor pay. I worked out that my average hourly rate (for the hours i had to do) was actually 15/hour because if you only do the hours on the roster than "you aren't doing all your work".

This is on top of the mandatory drinking, yes, mandatory. They would hold every single monthly meeting in a pub, club or RSL, there would be open tabs and even the "prizes" for doing well was wine or spirits. There was more than once that staff were drinking before the store even opened.

About the only positive thing I can say Flight Centre is that it showed me why people are turning away from flight centre and booking online, because it is a blatant rip off and the big sign out the front saying "from $99" is actually never $99 - straight out false marketing.
Pros
..... i learnt a fair bit about the travel industry
Cons
low pay, long hours, too much drinking
26 November 2018

We believe we have a very strong and positive culture, which is generally celebrated and has in fact led to us winning a number of awards. Many of these awards are based on employee feedback. We do celebrate achievements regularly and host events for our teams where alcohol is available, however the consumption of it is always a personal choice. We accept that Flight Centre  more... is not for everyone and we are sorry that you did not have the positive experience that we endeavour to provide for all our employees.  less

Very Low Salary
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 July 2018
Retail staff are only paid $33,000 for fulltime, yet they advertise more. I would get paid more working casually at mcdonalds. Way too many hours for very little pay.
Cons
Low Pay
15 November 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flight Centre. Our community is ready to answer.