Play YouTube video button

Flight Centre Employee Reviews

Featured review
Flight Centre selected this as a representative review
Great development and culture
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Brisbane25 October 2018
I started as a consultant and was able to progress into leadership from there. I have had amazing development, lots of travel opportunities and made great friends along the way.
Pros
get to sell travel
Cons
Very fun work environment but can be very stressful and long hours
Travel Agent/Assistant Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Charlestown NSW3 March 2019
Lots of fun if you have the right manager and team. Does not pay great though for the hard work you put in.
Perks can be very good though if you go well and hit your targets. You have to be a very good sales person to succeed.
5 March 2019

Not my cup of tea
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA4 February 2019
Flight Centre employees need to be of a certain breed. If not no matter how hard you try to change, you will struggle to make it in the business.
The workplace culture is very one work smarter not harder and they are all really into the rewards they receive for this. It can be a toxic environment depending on what your team is like.

The hours are long and the rewards are scarce but if you know how to work it to your favour it can be a rewarding job.
11 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre. It's true that the role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance based pay. It's not something that everyone will enjoy, however if you enjoy working toward goals and a pay structure that grows as you grow, you'll enjoy it here.

We believe we have a very strong and positive culture, however we do accept that Flight Centre is not for everyone and we are sorry that you did not have the positive experience that we endeavour to provide for all our employees.

Amazing company culture
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Chermside QLD24 January 2019
Love everyone I work with and the opportunities that this role comes with. It's a tough job but there is so much more then money involved, the support is incredible.
Pros
Support
Cons
Work life balance
28 January 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us!

Fun workplace
Accounts Payable Officer (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Sydney22 December 2018
Fun and social workplace however large workload and not many progression opportunities. Salary not too great. Enjoyed work events. Very repetitive work processing invoices in accounts payable.
Pros
Social events
Cons
Overworks employees
1 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre. We wish you the best with your future and hope that our paths may cross again some time.

Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 December 2018
Work Hard Play hard
State Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  North West Melbourne21 November 2018
As regional manager I wore many hat's from HR, to marketing and product specialist to Meeting faciliator, to Motivator to Analyst, there were never two days alike and for me variety is the spice of life !
Pros
Great Travel Perks, awesome people
Cons
Job can consume you.
26 November 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback.

A wonderful company with a unique culture
Training Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 November 2018
I can honestly say that I can't imagine working for another company I would enjoy more.

I work with an amazing team of people and the work itself is rewarding and challenging. Each day I am exposed to inspirational leaders and I have been given amazing travel and career opportunities.
Pros
Amazing team. Rewarding work. Personal growth & development. Exposure to inspirational leaders
Cons
I can't think of any current cons with my role.
26 November 2018

Customer service sales based role
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sydney Inner Suburbs NSW10 November 2018
If you're looking for a challenging career with multiple paths to success then this is the career for you.
I'm not going to lie, it will be hard and you will think about quitting, however I can assure you that those moments will pass and you will be so please you didn't quit.

Work life balance is great, I work part time and manage a store. Flexible rosters, educational leave, famil trips, incentives, career opportunities, finance roles, marketing roles, wholesale and product roles. There is so much that this company has to offer. Multiple sites to choose from.

Salary and commissions based role with bonuses.

This role requires you to be personable, motivated and driven. You must have a passion for travel and be able to hold a good conversation.
Cons
Staff leave after not giving it at least 6 months
26 November 2018

Our turnover rate is something we are working on and, as at November 2018, is 28%. We think that will improve as a result of the new Enterprise Bargaining Agreement that was agreed on last month, which offers a better pay structure and a range of other benefits.

Best thing I did was leave this company
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 October 2018
People may not have had the same experience as I did and I completely respect that but in my case I feel as though I was completely used up by this company.

If you are looking for a career in travel, I would look elsewhere.
Pros
They hire the best/nicest people - you will make friends
Cons
Everything else - money - hours - management
19 November 2018

It's true that the a role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance based pay. It's not something that everyone will enjoy, however if you enjoy working toward goals and a pay structure that grows as you grow, you'll enjoy it here.

We understand that different leadership styles can play a significant role in your enjoyment of, and performance at work. We are focused on developing great leaders however we are aware that not all leadership styles suit everybody. When building our teams, we try to mix personalities and styles that work well together however sometimes things don't go as planned. Staff who find themselves having difficulty in their current store are encouraged to speak with their area leader as they may be able to be placed into a different store with a manager whose leadership style is a better fit for them.

Travel Consultants work on a 40 hour roster which, if in a retail store, usually includes late night trading and a rotation of weekends. There is no requirement for our staff to work anything more than reasonable additional time like other workplaces, however because earning potential is uncapped,  more... many choose to work longer than their rostered hours in order to finalise more business, be even more successful and earn more commission.

All staff have access to free health and wellness consultations, discounted (free in some locations) gym memberships, free counselling sessions and financial planning.

Good nice company
ONSITE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  South Brisbane QLD17 October 2018
A typical day i have to multi-task constantly between tickets, walkins and emails. I have to be fast paced to maintain the amount of work coming in.
I constantly have to learn new things as I have to think on my feet and work things out for myself.
Management tend to trust their workers and let them work their own way and will only step in if there is an issue.
I'm supporting around 2000 staff on my own so I have to manage my time very well and organise things constantly.
I enjoy the people i work with.
Pros
buzz nights, conference and drinks
Cons
amount of tickets coming in

Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 September 2018
Good company to work with to learn about thew travel industry and develop your network. They invest a lot in training and development. Very strict on sales target. Average retainer and top up by commission. The more you sell, the more you make.
Pros
Travel perks and discounts, global ball, monthly team meeting after hours, brightness of future
Cons
Average salary for new starters
Great company culture
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Perth WA26 August 2018
There are so many opportunities available if you are driven and passionate about what you do.

The training and support given are great and the travel opportunities are also amazing.
19 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre! We wish you the best with your future and hope that our paths may cross again some time.

toxic work environment that is propped up with alcohol
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Morayfield QLD13 August 2018
was there for more than a year, I saw managers come and go, I saw lots of other staff come and go.

Management and corporate would see the high turnover, asked what the problem was, then ignored the answer.

The payment and commission structure was setup in a way that you only get 1.5% of what you put through the till, so if you sell a $100 flight, you personally get $1.50 thats it. Their base wage is minimum wage, doesn't matter if you mark it up or over charge the customer, your percentage doesn't change.

So you try you hardest to get sales, to book travel, to learn all the systems and work with all the suppliers.... only to have long hours and poor pay. I worked out that my average hourly rate (for the hours i had to do) was actually 15/hour because if you only do the hours on the roster than "you aren't doing all your work".

This is on top of the mandatory drinking, yes, mandatory. They would hold every single monthly meeting in a pub, club or RSL, there would be open tabs and even the "prizes" for doing well was wine or spirits. There was more than once that staff were drinking before the store even opened.

About the only positive thing I can say Flight Centre is that it showed me why people are turning away from flight centre and booking online, because it is a blatant rip off and the big sign out the front saying "from $99" is actually never $99 - straight out false marketing.
Pros
..... i learnt a fair bit about the travel industry
Cons
low pay, long hours, too much drinking
26 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us. It's true that the role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance based pay. It's not something that everyone will enjoy, however if you enjoy working toward goals and a pay structure that grows as you grow, you'll enjoy it here.

As at October, 2018, guaranteed minimum earnings for a first year consultant with no prior experience is $39,920 per year. This can increase up to $57,582 for a qualified and experienced consultant. Penalty rates for weekends and evening work are paid in addition to these amounts as well as employee commission payments which operate on a scale from 10% to 35% of the total monthly company commission that you achieve.

We believe we have a very strong and positive culture, which is generally celebrated and has in fact led to us winning a number of awards. Many of these awards are based on employee feedback. We do celebrate achievements regularly and host events for our teams where alcohol is available, however the consumption of it is always a personal choice. We accept that Flight Centre  more... is not for everyone and we are sorry that you did not have the positive experience that we endeavour to provide for all our employees.  less

Very Low Salary
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 July 2018
Retail staff are only paid $33,000 for fulltime, yet they advertise more. I would get paid more working casually at mcdonalds. Way too many hours for very little pay.
Cons
Low Pay
15 November 2018

Not a bad experience, but your time with the company is hugely influenced by your team
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Blacktown NSW14 July 2018
There's no secret that the high turn over rates spell out trouble.

Whilst I have no ill feelings for the company, and would honestly consider working under them again, there are some serious issues.

The pay isn't great. The guise of "uncapped commission" leads you (and customers) to believe that you'll be earning more than what you actually do - unless of course you're a sales prodigy, well versed veteran to the industry with a solid customer base, or have the luck to be assigned to a high performing team.

There are many perks - like plenty of work functions, interesting seminars from suppliers and travel companies, certification, and concession travel.

But despite the monthly check ups and mental health services available, there needs to be better access for the individual to seek actual help for their shop specific issues, and less stress placed on those just starting out.
Pros
Free drinks and dinners at work events, Training and Certification, Concession Travel, Health and Financial Checkups/ Assistance
Cons
Potentially lots of long nights and unpaid hours of work, Highly dependant on where you're stationed/ who you're with, Very low basic wage
19 November 2018

Great company to work for.
Senior Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Illawarra NSW4 May 2018
Flight Centre allows and encourages brightness of future and career development.

Opening up the world for those who want to see it.

In this role you must have a high level of self motivation and a passion for sales.

It is not an easy job and you must be willing to learn and adapt to change, however it has exciting benefits of travel and financial incentives.
26 November 2018

Long hours and very competative environment
Travel Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 May 2018
Great place as a starting block for opening doors to many other opportunities.

Only consider working for this company if you have a real passion for sales and are committed to long hours.

Flight Centre
Travel Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Melton VIC29 April 2018
Not a bad place to work, lots of support and benefits. Salary could be better as base wage is low when not topped up with good commission earnings. Not easy to hit targets when enquiry is not there.
Benefits
Cons
Quiet times
26 November 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback.

Think Twice
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glenelg SA24 April 2018
You work all the hours under the sun for minimal pay. Even when you are successful they change the commission structure on you.
The training is good but there are better agencies out there with better conditions. Some of the managers use what amounts to bullying tactics to get the job done.
Pros
Training
Cons
Long hours, low pay.
19 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us. Travel Consultants work on a 40 hour roster which, if in a retail store, usually includes late night trading and a rotation of weekends. There is no requirement for our staff to work anything more than reasonable additional time like other workplaces, however because earning potential is uncapped, many choose to work longer than their rostered hours in order to finalise more business, be even more successful and earn more commission.

Flight Centre takes bullying and harassment very seriously and is committed to ensuring that all team members are treated with respect in line with company values and policy. Anyone who feels they have been treated poorly or not in line with our policies and philosophies has avenues available to raise their issues including a confidential whistleblower hotline, HR team, or directly with their leaders. We also offer confidential guidance and support through free resources such as the Employee Assistance Program.

Great for ladder climbers
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Adelaide18 April 2018
If you're keen to climb the ladder in the travel industry, this company works for you. They're keen on growth and so foster those who would like to become managers and/or move laterally in the industry. Work/life balance doesn't exist for the first 5 ish years, but can come with time if you're willing to be your own manager.
26 November 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flight Centre. Our community is ready to answer.