Fonterra
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Fonterra Employee Reviews

Australia29 reviews
Fonterra and the companies that paved the way for Fonterra Australia were vital to the Victorian and Tasmanian dairy industry which would not have survived had Fonterra not intervened.
It's a job not for everyone, you need to make sure you can live with 4 on 4 off roster with a 3 shift rotation. The people you work with and been there longer than you seem to ALWAYS think they are above you & will try and control you, also they think the factory can't run without them and the world will stop turning if they weren't there. The real problem with Fonterra is the Management and of course relying on cows producing milk and we all know we are in a drought and it's getting worse. Even if your full-time or part-time even casual your future is not safe. Seeing perfectly hard working full-time employees been there for over 4 years let go for the smallest problems with no warnings or talking to just let go. There HR is extremely strick . They make you feel you can move up, but they make it very clear after you've been put on full-time that you're only a dairy operative. Don't waste your time there management is disgraceful. Seen 4 different kinds of management changes while working there , that's 4 guys moved on or different job. Like I said if they d if they need to make cuts they just do it, no warnings.
great people to work for. hardest part of the job was keeping up to the fillers. the enjoyable part of the job was the people that was working there cause we could talk between each other and still get the work done and helped each other out.
the work and the people was the best thing about working at fonterra dairy for life i would like to go back to work at stanhope it was a good expriance place in my work histroy
Its not about the work its bout who you know. And how you fit into the company. If one person doesn't like you that it.

You might have a manager but above them in someone that pulls the string if they don't like you that it.

Its not common for people to be managed out of the company so management can get there mates a job.

Or for manages to be told by higher up managers to get rid of you because one of them doesn't like you.

Commonly people are hired by recruitment in Melbourne. Then gotten ride of by the so called management in Darrnum.

Dairy for life as long as you are one of the boys.
Pros
Over paid
Cons
no job security, bullying and discrimination
A very good company to work for good gear, good wages, good super, and you get to go home every day

co workers where great the mangers try there best to match people to crews as well as the three drivers across each crew who drive the same Tanker.

Fonterra is very big on health and safety, ensuring that everyone goes home safe every day
Pros
as above
Cons
sometimes not offen you feel like a number
Large dairy manufacturer with strong links to rural communities looking to be the No.1 supplier of Dairy in Australia and leader of innovation for the future.
Ideal role for people who enjoy the above. Milk and Dairy can be rather more "political" than you think, so be prepared to be challenged in this role.
Pros
A dfferent workplace every day
Cons
A lot of driving hours
Reasonable Salary and Great Culture, also there is a good diversity of people and expertise.
Opportunity to grow your career and great management. Good place to learn new skills
Cons
A typical day working for Fonterra is one where the company is looking after you. "Safe home everyday" motto is what you hear every single day. They make you put your family first and constantly remind their employees to have a safe day so that you get home to your families.
Management is constantly asking for employees feedback and input to improve anything that may need addressing or updating. The workplace culture is excellent with the enormous variety of ethnicities employeed by Fonterra globally. The hardest part of the job is getting your foot in the door to get that permanent role.The most enjoyable part of the job is the ongoing development you are exposed to on a daily basis.
Pros
Excellent company with great people
Cons
Minimal plants in Australia
The company was a good place to work, however training was at times very poor. I had great co-workers. A normal day would be around 12 hrs as I had to support after hours.
Pros
worked 20 mins from home
Cons
Required to travel to head office which was on the other side of Melbourne
That was a project based work so i the deadlines were difficult to handle. however we gave our best to finish the project with in the time.
I loved working at Fonterra, Not only did I feel like part of a team I felt like part of a family I was blessed to be able to work in a place that was so fun and easy going but also meeting and exceeding all required targets. I loved it!!
Fonterra is a good company to work for, good culture, friendly people, good management, enjoyed working there for 11 years.
Pros
location close to home
Cons
restructure
while working at Fonterra I leant how to run a production line, work within a team and on my own, I really enjoyed all the different people to meet. I enjoy the shift work
Worked permanent night shift on 12 hour shifts, 3 shifts per week
I was able to work my way up from a process operator & yogurt maker to lower management.

management were very approachable and listened to your issues

The people I worked with were easy to get along with and always willing to help out where they could.

The hardest part was being on night shift you were isolated from the day to day decisions of management and most of them had gone home by the time you started work

It was very satisfying knowing that the job I done made a difference
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
good company to work for
the roster was very easy with 4 days on 4 days off with 12 hour shifts

good people to work with , gained many tickets in the course of working there
Very close knit group of workers, and overall the job was good. Once you reach a level 4 operator there are not really any opportunities to expand or grow beyond that which I found to be a bit of a downfall as I am always looking to expand my knowledge.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not enough opportunity to expand or grow.
Fonterra was a wonderful place to work, not only were management and co-workers a pleasure to work with but there was always opportunity to learn more. The company always encouraged growth and development. I started in export documentation and later became the team leader in the Export Coordinator Role. I was in the Customer Service Manager role for 1 year which was a great experience.
Pros
Great people and free cheese
Cons
Head office too far from home
A typical day at Fonterra consisted of working on a production line. I learnt to work well as part of a team and process orders to tight deadlines.
I used to work long shift work hours but the fun people I worked with made it enjoyable.

The hardest part of the job was probably being on your feet for up to 10hrs a day.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Very disappointed after 6years of not coming from this area learning to drive hills after spending 30 years of my driving life on mostly flat ground. A day at work was mostly 10 hours and to travel 2 hours to and from work. I learned that that every farmer is different and no two farmers are the same. I found that management of the company was very sincere and caring until we had a new manager for transport was so very rude was not liked by many and was not like other mangers in the company and gave no thought to any other people in transport. My co-workers were happy and thought full group of people that u would go out of your way to talk to until a unknown person turned up and turned the boat up side down and hurt some driver terribly bad. The hardest part of my job was to care for the company after being so brown hearted after wanting to spend the rest of my life with them Fonterra. The most enjoyable part was to get up go to work with the love of people and the trucks I love so much wish we had the best of.
Pros
salary
Cons
hours worked