Fortescue Metals Group Employee Reviews

Well paid imprisonment.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Site10 October 2018
Above industry average in total financial remuneration, unfortunately there are glaring deficiencies in relation to culture, management and leadership, and the general work environment.

A corrupt and toxic culture of blatant nepotism, backed by an insidious undercurrent of intimidation, harassment and bullying by key personnel in managerial and leadership roles is rampant throughout numerous areas of the Fortescue operation. A well acknowledged and subsequently ignored group of highly positioned personnel (referred to as the purple circle) leverage their positions to promote a working environment that is beneficial only to the few and not the many, often resulting in a fear to speak out and act on overt displays that are counter to the visions and values of the company.

The work is uninspiring, bland and repetitive. Job enrichment, expansion and opportunity is non-existent, despite requests and actions to "step-up". Empowerment, a value of the organisation, is met with road blocks, ridicule, fear and in some cases bullying. As a organisation it is apparent that it is very much "jobs for the boys".
Pros
Money
Cons
Work life balance, work quality and quantity, culture, management, leadership
I loved FMG in every way.
Dump Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia, Australia4 October 2018
I have nothing bad to say about FMG. The only reason I left is for family reasons. I would work there again in a heartbeat. For the most part, all of the supervisors and upper management seemed to care about the needs of the crews.
personaly a waste of time
Dump truck 793F operator (Current Employee) –  Chistmas creek26 July 2018
They continue to start to many potential drivers experienced and none experienced and not enough trucks and you find your self sitting doing nothing all day sorry but true.
Pros
You may if time get trained on other trucks if trucks were avalible.
Cons
sitting to long doing nothing.
Work and team culture
Fixed plant Boilermaker (Former Employee) –  Christmas Creek WA23 July 2018
Had our up's and downs, days that was easy going and some days that was full on with breakdowns. over all it was a good place to for. They do consider peoples health and they do look after there work force. The crew is good, they stand and work as a team. Everyone in the team try to make it easyer for everyone.
Pros
Family frendly, Could bring family to site
Good Work Life Balance
Metallurgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Western Australia7 June 2018
As a FIFO worker for FMG I experienced many different types of work. The training and safety was great. It was a 7 days on 7 days of roster which suited my family at the time.
Pros
Roster
Cons
Away from family
productive work place
any and inform the maintenance engineer (Former Employee) –  South Hedland WA6 May 2018
mostly hot days to work in, I learned how to operate machinery and how to do operations and how chutes and conveyor belts and the plant basically works with iron ore. management wasn't the best, a lot of work culture different walks of life. hardest part of the jobs was fly in and out and being away from family, the freedom of a week of was the best part of the job
Great company
Drill & Blast Crew (Former Employee) –  Christmas creek1 May 2018
I started working at FMG as a contractor through ochre workforce in the drill and blast department in early 2017 at a site called Christmas creek. The job was great as i loved what I did and the team I worked with was great.
Pros
Great facilities
Cons
FMG was a good place to work once but it has lost its way.
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA22 April 2018
The culture is toxic, it needs to look at what it once was and get back to basics, ruling through fear and intimidation does not engender trust in employees. Four years ago it would have been 4 stars overall!
Great wages & incentives - until Head Office intervenes
Metallurgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Cloudbreak22 April 2018
The onsite crew and management were 5 Star! Work hard, get on with team mates and produce results and rewards will follow. This is until re-structuring comes into play, managed remotely from Perth. Casualties of frictional and economic restructuring result in top performers being terminated, and the mediocre retained. The best guess is that the better performers were deemed more likely to get work after termination, however that is generous speculation. Moving from 8-6 to 2-1 roster was never popular, however what made life unbearable was the fact that 1 person took on more than double the workload, with an extra 7 days on. Although targets are achievable in the short term, fatigue and burn out will occur. For what it's worth, look elsewhere if you want to physically survive to retirement. The workload is too extreme for a sustained period, and until 8-6 returns to FMG, I'm afraid that work stresses will cause both physical and psychological burn out.
Pros
Wages and benefits fantastic, on site crew incredible!
Cons
Head Office never seems willing to foster great individual and collective talent, Always ready to break teams up and restructure
great role
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Roebourne WA3 April 2018
loved working out in the field, didnt enjoy being away from my family. the work crew made it all worth while. would love to be in a role kile or similar to this again
Pros
busy workload
Cons
fly in fly out role
Very productive place to work
CATERING MANAGER / CAMP COOK / FLIGHTs (Former Employee) –  Perth WA2 April 2018
My day comprised of supervising and working hand in hand with staff... I had excellent staff..
I learnt from working with FMG commradary between staff, and the ability to pull together when needed...
We all worked hand in hand with supervisors with mutual respect.
The work culture when I began there was ok, however over time the improvement became 100% due pulling together ...
Hardest kart of my job was dealing with new staff and their ability to not turn up for their swing ...
I feel the misconception was, you work for extremely good money, however, do not put in the hard yards... So hence, they would not turn up for their flights back to camp .
Most enjoyable part of the job was the commradary ...
Pros
Meals
Cons
Long hours however, you adjust
Very clicky
Operator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia15 March 2018
Week on Week off was great.

Good Salary

Bland Food

Great workmates

Best part was flying home

Worst part was dayshift

Every shift was boring like the food

Hardest part was getting enough sleep
Great group of people all striving for the same goals
Trainer/Assessor - Rail Operations (Current Employee) –  Port Hedland WA15 March 2018
Great place to work - the Fortescue Family
Great people
Hardest part of this role is to track Drivers down and have time for training and development
Management are very supportive
My skills in design and development undertaking this project have incresed 100 fold.
Workplace that pushes your boundaries and problem solving skills.
People Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Western Australia15 February 2018
A typical day is full of your day to day tasks set out at the start of the day but in true mining style a curve ball would be thrown in that you must manage using time management, problem solving and decision making skills. You learn quickly about all facets of the mining industry as there is a push to all work together and use each department as a resource to get the job done. You're all working towards the same goal. Management know what they do and are a great advisors of their team and work. There is a culture of pushing your boundaries, the value of "stretch targets" rings very true and if you don't hold this yourself you won't be able to keep up! If you are unsure if something can be completed you just manage to go out and do it, plus some. This can be hardest yet the most rewarded part of working at Fortescue Metals Group as its all about your own personal dedication and responsibility to your job and the company.
Pros
Progressive around diversity
Cons
Pressure
FMG were great to work with.
Field technician/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cloudbreak, Christmas Creek & Solomon29 January 2018
I loved my job as a Field Assistant. I was always busy & always outside. I learnt alot. I would work there again in a heartbeat.

I learnt how to supervise. I learnt about Geology, safety, management & acceptance. We had a very multicultural team.

The hardest part of the job was being away. But the best part was the people i worked with & i stayed fit all the time. The job was ideal.
Pros
frequent flyer points, no dishes, week on week off roster
Cons
long hours, away from home, hot weather
Friendly Enviroment overall
Trainee (Former Employee) –  karratha25 January 2018
I thoroughly enjoy my time at FMG
I feel very supported in my role from senior management
I enjoy meeting new people and working in a team environment, with people from all different cultures and backgrounds
I enjoy learning new things and facing challenges each day
The hardest part of the job is working in a FIFO role
Pros
Learning on the job, meeting alot of different people
Cons
being away from home for 2 weeks at a time
Fantastic company with a great culture
Logistics Coordinator - Solomon (Former Employee) –  Solomon, AU10 January 2018
Fantastic work environment. Great team and exciting projects.
Typical work days for me would be both in and out the office managing complex cargo movements.
The culture was fantastic and helped with my day to day role.
excellent camp
Surface Miner Operator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA10 December 2017
I enjoyed my time working for FORTESCUE METALS GROUP.
Very professional and safety conscious.I liked the FIFO life and the people i worked with.The accomadation and food was first class.
Typical Large Mining company
Mining Operator (Former Employee) –  Pilbara WA1 September 2017
as with all large mining companies there is a strong production orientated agenda, it is no different in this case, the hours are long and micro management can be found in most areas of the business. I enjoyed working with many different characters which always helps the time pass.
Pros
meet great people
Cons
long hours, regimental
fantastic work enviormrnt everyone very happy and helpful
Permit Coordinator/ Contractor (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA16 August 2017
Fmg was a fantastic workplace it was a joy to wake up and head off to work the employees were excellent pleasant and a joy to work with , the management was always available and always helpful , also having got to know the contractors there was always a sense of friendship , overall fantastic experience and gret people to work with
Pros
to many to mention
Cons
none still trying to think of any but none