Fortescue Metals Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Fortescue Metals Group Management reviews

Australia67 reviews
Allows an individual to expand his skills and provides variety and opportunities to grow
Management is proactive when it comes to taking business decisions and things happen fast1
Pros
Job satisfaction and fair salary and employee benefits
Cons
Fast-paced environment may become challenging at times
I learned new systems, great management support team, the work culture is fantastic, very collaborative and helpful. The hardest part of the job is that the lead is difficult to approach, very busy.
I enjoy the job with challenges and found the solutions for it.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long Hours
Project Management• Scoping - Fixed Plant Additional Water Lines, supply and install additional wash water line through 5 areas of fixed plant. Approx. $1M budget
• Guarding Audit within the OPF fixed plant. Scoping and planned execution work to bring all guarding in line with Australian and FMG standards. Approximate 10 main line conveyor systems and 5 conveyors. Approx. $3M OPEX budget
Challenging workplace that eventually changed to a family friendly roster for EM Services, brought in line with the "Family" values that were constantly spruiked by Management but not always seen in the workforce. Countless AOD testing became the most hated job & consigned the role to that of Admin / Tester. Safety focus was more around numbers rather than results. Relax people it's just a job
Good company to work and the culture was diverse which is good. Management team were good they related to their workers and they established relationships with them
Such a great working environment and great core values and culture. Only with recent management change in Procurement, the manager of this team within procurement was inexperienced and leadership style and communication style was lacking. This ruined the FMG experience. I would return but not to that manager.
Used to be a good job. They killed it when they changed the roster. Effectively a massive pro rata pay cut and swapping a good work/life balance to a death grind. They treat their operators with contempt and condescension. Difficult to advance in the job or to learn anything new unless you are in the purple circle. Very demotivating being constantly lied to by dishonest management. Being assessed on spurious company "values".

Positives are the people you work with - generally a good bunch of people from a variety of backgrounds. Very civil and polite working relationships compared to other mine sites I have worked at.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Now too long hours and no
Was a great experience while it lasted. Not a company for people with a brain. Critical and logical thinking is not welcome among the semi-literate supervisors and managers. It's not what you know... It's WHO you know if you want to move up or keep your job.
Pros
Company bonuses
Cons
Incompetent management
Above industry average in total financial remuneration, unfortunately there are glaring deficiencies in relation to culture, management and leadership, and the general work environment.

A corrupt and toxic culture of blatant nepotism, backed by an insidious undercurrent of intimidation, harassment and bullying by key personnel in managerial and leadership roles is rampant throughout numerous areas of the Fortescue operation. A well acknowledged and subsequently ignored group of highly positioned personnel (referred to as the purple circle) leverage their positions to promote a working environment that is beneficial only to the few and not the many, often resulting in a fear to speak out and act on overt displays that are counter to the visions and values of the company.

The work is uninspiring, bland and repetitive. Job enrichment, expansion and opportunity is non-existent, despite requests and actions to "step-up". Empowerment, a value of the organisation, is met with road blocks, ridicule, fear and in some cases bullying. As a organisation it is apparent that it is very much "jobs for the boys".
Pros
Money
Cons
Work life balance, work quality and quantity, culture, management, leadership
I have nothing bad to say about FMG. The only reason I left is for family reasons. I would work there again in a heartbeat. For the most part, all of the supervisors and upper management seemed to care about the needs of the crews.
mostly hot days to work in, I learned how to operate machinery and how to do operations and how chutes and conveyor belts and the plant basically works with iron ore. management wasn't the best, a lot of work culture different walks of life. hardest part of the jobs was fly in and out and being away from family, the freedom of a week of was the best part of the job
The culture is toxic, it needs to look at what it once was and get back to basics, ruling through fear and intimidation does not engender trust in employees. Four years ago it would have been 4 stars overall!
The onsite crew and management were 5 Star! Work hard, get on with team mates and produce results and rewards will follow. This is until re-structuring comes into play, managed remotely from Perth. Casualties of frictional and economic restructuring result in top performers being terminated, and the mediocre retained. The best guess is that the better performers were deemed more likely to get work after termination, however that is generous speculation. Moving from 8-6 to 2-1 roster was never popular, however what made life unbearable was the fact that 1 person took on more than double the workload, with an extra 7 days on. Although targets are achievable in the short term, fatigue and burn out will occur. For what it's worth, look elsewhere if you want to physically survive to retirement. The workload is too extreme for a sustained period, and until 8-6 returns to FMG, I'm afraid that work stresses will cause both physical and psychological burn out.
Pros
Wages and benefits fantastic, on site crew incredible!
Cons
Head Office never seems willing to foster great individual and collective talent, Always ready to break teams up and restructure
Great place to work - the Fortescue Family
Great people

Hardest part of this role is to track Drivers down and have time for training and development

Management are very supportive
My skills in design and development undertaking this project have incresed 100 fold.
A typical day is full of your day to day tasks set out at the start of the day but in true mining style a curve ball would be thrown in that you must manage using time management, problem solving and decision making skills. You learn quickly about all facets of the mining industry as there is a push to all work together and use each department as a resource to get the job done. You're all working towards the same goal. Management know what they do and are a great advisors of their team and work. There is a culture of pushing your boundaries, the value of "stretch targets" rings very true and if you don't hold this yourself you won't be able to keep up! If you are unsure if something can be completed you just manage to go out and do it, plus some. This can be hardest yet the most rewarded part of working at Fortescue Metals Group as its all about your own personal dedication and responsibility to your job and the company.
Pros
Progressive around diversity
Cons
Pressure
I loved my job as a Field Assistant. I was always busy & always outside. I learnt alot. I would work there again in a heartbeat.

I learnt how to supervise.
I learnt about Geology, safety, management & acceptance. We had a very multicultural team.

The hardest part of the job was being away. But the best part was the people i worked with & i stayed fit all the time. The job was ideal.
Pros
frequent flyer points, no dishes, week on week off roster
Cons
long hours, away from home, hot weather
I thoroughly enjoy my time at FMG
I feel very supported in my role from senior management
I enjoy meeting new people and working in a team environment, with people from all different cultures and backgrounds
I enjoy learning new things and facing challenges each day

The hardest part of the job is working in a FIFO role
Pros
Learning on the job, meeting alot of different people
Cons
being away from home for 2 weeks at a time
as with all large mining companies there is a strong production orientated agenda, it is no different in this case, the hours are long and micro management can be found in most areas of the business. I enjoyed working with many different characters which always helps the time pass.
Pros
meet great people
Cons
long hours, regimental
Fmg was a fantastic workplace it was a joy to wake up and head off to work the employees were excellent pleasant and a joy to work with , the management was always available and always helpful , also having got to know the contractors there was always a sense of friendship , overall fantastic experience and gret people to work with
Pros
to many to mention
Cons
none still trying to think of any but none
Christmas Creek Workshop, terrible safety culture and management. Lot's of avoidable incidents poor leadership that think making the place like a prison camp will solve everything. Extremely glad to be away from there.
Pros
Camp is OK
Cons
Poor Management and Purple Circle
A typical day is fast paced and busy. Staff are friendly and management helpful. Management were technically sound although lacking in person-ability. Co-workers were friendly and helpful.

Job security was a concern given the market and FMG did well to secure my contract for the duration that they did.
Pros
Good learning environment
Cons
Poor management personnel
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fortescue Metals Group. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2