Frontier Health Employee Reviews

Great company to work for hands down
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TN28 April 2019
Frontier health cares about their employees the same as they care for the clients. If you have a passion for mentally ill people then frontier is the place for you. The teamwork and interdisciplinary coordination is by far the best I have experienced. Working hard pays off there and 28 days per year PTO makes up for the pay difference.
Pros
Free Lunch, Caring employees
Managers
Direct Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duffield, VA9 April 2019
Management, was not helpful, there ever. They wanted you to do all the work that they should be doing and be lazy themselves. The job itself was good for the most part. The hardest part about the job was the random hours they would have you work even though you were suppose to work set hours. They would make you run every appointment no matter how many and never got a break from the daily work provided
Pros
Free food
Cons
no breaks
Horrible work environment horrible management extremely stressful
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Big Stone Gap, VA9 April 2019
Management has no clue how to manage they make promises and never follow through with them they tell you one thing then write you up for doing exactly what you was told to do it is extremely stressful environment to work in not knowing who to answer to or who to listen to when you have multiple people telling you different things to do
Pros
Its a paycheck not a good one but none the less a paycheck
Cons
The list is so long
Healthcare Environment
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Big Stone Gap, VA 2421921 February 2019
Bosses were not friendly. Employees were rude to patients. Not a safe and secure work environment. Raises were just a few cents and was state based.
completed
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TN21 February 2019
I choose not to disclose at this time. I feel that I was misled by a couple of supervisors. Primarily they were not upfront or honest with me during my employment or upon my departure and HR did not seem to care at my exit interview
Pros
free meals
Cons
no break
Very supportive team to work for.
Peer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TN30 January 2019
The pay is very low so it hurts your work/life balance. Frontier Health is a very supportive team to work for they will try to help you with any situation that you have to assist with your work life it really is just the pay is not good to live on especially if you a single parent.
Terrible pay which sucks if you love your job
Th (Current Employee) –  Sullivan County, TN14 January 2019
I love my position. Love it. I have great coworkers, a lax and supportive boss though they lose things constantly along with forgetting nearly everything; they also cannot handle problems themselves out of fear of not being liked. Other than that, my boss is extremely flexible, emotionally supportive to us and encourages us to take care of ourselves or our family first if something happens. It is the perfect place if you are in school for your masters because they are SO flexible. My beef with my position is, I’ve had a 1%,1.5% and a 2% raise and that’s it. No one (besides upper mgmt or someone changed positions) gets a raise unless EVERYONE gets a raise I got my masters degree and applied for a therapist position which I got and only made $2,000 more dollars a year. I lost my mileage check so really, I don’t make much more than I did as a case manager. Insurance continues to go up, mileage is only 34 cents and we aren’t getting raises. Staff turnover is outrageous due to low fees and extremely high expectations for positions like case managers. Also, they’re renovating the corporate office, putting in automatic paper towel dispensers in all the 70 odd locations yet didn’t give the real workers a raise. Also, payroll continues to lose mileage checks and forget about placing an order, it will get lost.
Pros
Okay benefits, over 8 hours of PTO every check, extremely flexible, free life insurance of 25k
Cons
Terribly low pay, insurance is getting more expensive, disconnect between corporate and the sites, corporate is selfish and literally cannot keep up with anything.
Great experience
Case Manager 2 (Former Employee) –  Greeneville13 January 2019
I gain a lot of experience with this company. I worked in a variety of situations that allowed me to add to my skill base. Work was challenging but rewarding.
Pros
flexibility
Exvellent place to work
Mental Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Gray, TN27 November 2018
Excellent place to work. Management is well organized and structured. Company will work with you during sickness and bereavement of death in the family
Pros
Loved my job, most clients were easy tk gey along with.
Cons
Some clients were hard to work with.
Confusing management
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TN14 November 2018
Difficult work environment. Large amounts responsibility as a charge nurse with unusual problems. Nursing duties bleed over into therapy and police duties such as searching and investigative work.
Pros
Helping people with addiction
Cons
Confusing management
OK place to work
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TN28 October 2018
The pay wasn't the best, and rehire is virtually impossible, even if notice given and worked. No advancement possibility. Some managers had less experience than their subordinates.
New experiences daily.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Blountville, TN17 October 2018
There is never a dull moment when working with the children in states custody. The experiences that those kids told us about were heartbreaking. I so wanted to help them make better life choices and successfully complete the program.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, low pay, and restrictive schedules
Great place to work!
Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TN5 October 2018
Frontier Health is a great place to work. Staff work together as a team and genuinely care for the clients they serve. The pay is not the highest, but the agency is a large non-profit operating mostly off grants and contracts with the state. I love the work environment and the difference I see in peoples lives!
Pros
work culture, Pto
Cons
pay
Pretty good
Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Gray, TN15 September 2018
Clients that I met while working here were sweet and just needed someone to talk to. All the other employees were really helpful if you had a question or needed help.
Pros
clients were sweet
Wages are poor, management is unqualified
TMI (Current Employee) –  TMI6 August 2018
Most new hires burn out within a couple months. The management is full of know-it-all mental health lifers that struggle to separate work from personal life. Expectations are vague and ever changing. Too much focus on billing, not enough on clients. I strongly do not recommend this not for profit organization.
Pros
Paid time off, hours, insurance
Cons
Management, wages, quality of care
Good reliable job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Rogersville, TN5 July 2018
I enjoyed my time in the job I had and I gained many valuable experiences. One of the best things about the job was the collaborative process between the court, mental health, and the client.
Good beginning job for someone fresh out of college. Good preparation for Licensure
Child and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TN and Bristol, TN22 June 2018
Great people to work with in a good environment. Help is always there when needed. Supervisor always available for conferring with. Supervision for Marriage and Family Therapist license.
Pros
good people, support, good management
Cons
high case load and long hours
high turnover
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TN20 June 2018
Frintier healt does not care about their employees only them money they make off of them. I have a friend who has worked her for ten years and is just now making $11 an hour. when I worked there my shift was supposed to be 7 days on 7 days off but instead I worked 80 hours one week and 40 the other.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low pay
Pay sucks
Residental tech (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TN9 May 2018
You get paid nothing. It is impossible to survive on paycheck. I only worked here because I loved what I was doing. For the amount of work we do we deserve more pay.
Pros
Free meals, pto, health insurance, people
Cons
Pay, no breaks, expectations
Extremely dependent on work location/site
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TN1 May 2018
Absolutely loved my position (as a school-based counselor), but that was more to do with the actual schools themselves. I have noticed that each Frontier Health site varies to a great degree. As a whole, the company pays very little (even when considering the low cost of living in the area). The benefits are acceptable, the people are really nice and helpful, although there seems to be a disconnect between the corporate office employees and clinicians. One of the biggest problems I've noticed colleagues having with this company (not personally), is lack of self-care/tendency for burnout. Although many managers and site directors (including mine, fortunately) are very attentive and supportive of self-care, others seem to want to drown their employees in as much work and stress as humanly possible.
Pros
Nice people, helping people, lots of PTO, decent benefits
Cons
Extremely low pay, low professionalism and poor communication at some sites

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Frontier Health. Our community is ready to answer.