Gartner logo
Gartner
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Gartner Employee Reviews for Account Manager

Work–Life Balance

Like doing a paid MBA!

An amazing place full of potential. Days go so quickly because you are so busy. Freedom to run your own territory and control your own destiny. The best place and people I have ever worked with!

Either great or terrible.

Gartner is a great place to work 50% of the time. When it's good its great (lots of praise, money, and opportunities) and when its bad it's terrible (fear of job security, treated less than, coached-out of the organization). Many who are struggling feel gaslight as they are told that this is simply because of their limited mindset. It's pretty draining on one's mental health.As far as benefits go, they're great. You get 2 days of PTO acquired each month and up to 10 can transfer over year-to-year. PTO is often hard to take due to the nature of sales (discouraged to take PTO EOM, EOQ, or Q4) so use as much as possible when you can.

Pros

Benefits, Relaxed Dress Code, Fun Cowokers

Cons

Micromanaging, limited growth opportunities

Great place to start your career

This is an excellent place to start your career as a salesperson. Gartner is one of the few companies that still invests in its employees with paid training. You will learn lots of valuable skills while being paid an actual salary with benefits for several weeks. To date, this was one of my most valuable and favorite work experiences and companies to work for. It was my first real job right out of college. There are many opportunities for growth and career paths to advance in the company. The company promotes from within, the management is supportive and inclusive, and for the most part, everyone seems happy. Another thing to note is that I noticed that if a job wasn't a right fit, management seemed to work with you to find a job that was a better fit for employees, instead of just letting people go. The company really seemed to want their employees to succeed, at least when I worked there 6-7 years ago in the branch I worked in. So if sales weren't your thing, they'd work with you to find a place where you would excel within the company. That seems to be a rare thing nowadays. I wish I had stayed with the organization- the only reason I got a new job was that I had to move home for personal reasons (I had relocated out of state for the job.) Truly, an excellent company to begin your career with. You will learn so much!

Pros

Friendly colleagues, supportive management, laptop provided, free coffee, beautiful cafeteria, paid training, great benefits/salary, positive environment

Cons

None I can think of

Productive and fun atmosphere

Excellent company. Wish I had never left big mistake. Went to work for smaller company a former Gartner vp called and offered me the job and was able to work from home.

Pros

Great advancement opportunities

Cons

Some managers chosen

Overall good starter job

Working at Gartner had a lot of benefits and will be a great resume builder for me as I continue to pursue other opportunities. The training is on a level of its own and they really invest in their employees. The work-life balance and flexibility to work from home is way above par.

Great work/life balance and training

Benefits great. The culture is young, so it works for some people. Hard to be serious and motivated at times and management is closed minded at times.

Hard place to work

This was a hard place to work, the location is a growing office with constant changes. That might be physical desks, managers, metrics to meet, or opportunities to advance. It is a hard place to be unique and have your own style, they were open to cultivating it but when it came down to it it was best for you to conform to their "proven best practices". A lot of micromanaging and disgruntled workers. High turn over rate and call center vibe.

Pros

healthcare

It all depends on your manger and leadership.

At the end of the day this job really does depend on your manager and your VP for your region. This company can be a great experience or it can wear you down. Fort Myers, FL is a terrible place to live. Unless you plan on retiring I would not reecommend living there for anyone under the age of 70.

Great Company Terrible Leadership

Gartner does an incredible job of preparing young professionals for a successful career. However, they promote too quickly with people that have absolutely NO business being in a leadership position. One woman, in particular, has a horrible reputation for leading by fear and being absolutely terrible and has now run off many very talented reps due to her leadership ineptitude.

Pros

Good culture

Cons

Horrible Promotion Structure

Lots of change

Lots of change due to acquiring CEB and poor change management. High turn over of key people in the organization. Poor work life balance and management is inflexible and unsupportive.

Jobs at Gartner

Account Manager positions
See more jobs

My launchpad into the real world!

My first job out of college in sales and consulting. My first foray into the healthcare market in the US. Learning and building on these skills is what enabled me to attend the graduate school of my choice, seek the internships and full time jobs hence forth. I will be forever grateful for all Gartner has done for me,

What i have learned at Gartner

What i have learned from my 11 years at Gartner is that they pay lip service to their corporate values. The claim five corporate values - of integrity, objectivity, no-limits mindset, collaboration and results - but with the sales organization they fail at the first value. There is no integrity with sales management. You can not believe what they tell you, so be cautious if you are thinking of joining the sales team. They very much prefer younger people - and those in approaching the end of their careers are being replaced with younger talent. The product of Gartner - research and advisory services is outstanding. The are focused on very aggressive growth targets and are struggling to convert the CEB contracts from enterprise wide licenses to named user licences. Of course as an organization, we need to do that as it is our opportunity to grow our relationships with our clients. As sales professionals, our territories are being squeezed to have greater focus on single accounts, with fewer products to sell. If you take a cancel from an account especially at year end, you have no place to go to recover the revenue and management will use it as a reason to get rid of you.

Pros

great product

Cons

poor sales management - lack creativity

Good then bad

I worked at the company CEB for about a year, and then for another year after we became Gartner. The position of Account Manager is disappearing, and I do not find the position of Account Executive to be a good fit for me,

Good Company - Tough Sale

Great company but it is a hard product to sell. Training is amazing. You have to really get behind the product to be successful. Selling an intangible service like Gartner is very tough but the company carries such a strong and respected name which is very helpful. Culture is amazing. Poor choice in making Fort Myers their sales office.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Territories are shrinking

Awesome

Both the best and hardest place ever worked. Loved the brand, product, people, etc. and ultimately miss the environment very much. Very well regarded career move.

Pros

Brand awareness, great products

Cons

Stagnation in market, getting deeper into account was tough, retention is difficult

good, stable company

Hard to get in to, lots of benefits, bad management. Lots of difficult targets, they don't make it easy for you to make new business, you have to give away your contacts and get a limited territory plan.

Proactive, fast pace, fun place to work with ping pong and pool tables

It is a very hard sell for SMB. There is great support from upper management to continually work on your professional development. Hardest part of the job is selling premium products to SMB clients.

High Stress Environment

For those right out of college this is a great experience. If you have work experience and a mind of your own it will not work out. You have to be a robot and just do what you are told without question.

Great place to Grow, then Go

A great place to start your career. The training is there and they give you a lot of responsibility off that bat. The challenge is what's next... very few options in terms of what comes after this role.

High Activity, Accelerated Learning Work Environment

Gartner invests highly in its employees by putting you through an elaborate training program and aligning a mentor through your first 6 months territory live. There are unlimited resources to ensure your success - if you leverage them correctly. There are many opportunities for promotion for this that have proven themselves successful. Gartner promotes an exception "coaching" management style that is collaborative and foster's personal and professional improvement. Great work - life balance that is encouraged by upper management.

Pros

Great hours, benefits, Management, Pto, etc.

Cons

Highly Competitive (more of a pro)

Gartner

Gartner has a great culture for young professionals. There is a lot of luck involved based on the accounts that are transitioned to you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gartner. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Gartner