Gartner logo
Gartner
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Gartner Employee Reviews for Research Specialist

Work–Life Balance

Good first job, not much room for growth

Gartner is a large company with a strong track record of success. They didn’t cut many jobs during covid, and in general are fairly well run. The people are very nice and smart. Where the company lacks is compensation and promotion at lower levels. There is a lot of middle management and the promotion timeline is long. Additionally, gartner pays less than consulting despite being pretty similar to it.

Pros

Work life, people

Cons

Pay, promotion

Great Culture, Advancement Can Be Tough

Promotions seem to be based more on your interview rather than your impact on the company as a whole outside of the interview process. Great company to work for though, the work/life balance is great (which is most important to me). Pay is very solid and benefits are good as well.

Pros

Work/life balance, culture

Cons

Advancement can be tough

Terrible Experience

Gartner definitely needs to hire new HR staff and strengthen management within RES. They need to hire honest people who abide by policies and respect individuals. The dishonesty and scheming that goes on regarding the Specialist role within Gartner and as a Contractor is horrific. The pay gap is extremely irrespective of the contracting duties. Due to my exceptional performance in contracting, was asked to work a few I months in the Gartner Specialist role. This was COMPLETELY different than the Contracting Specialist's role. This required much more work. It was higher level and required more skill. They had me working for them for free. I had provided lots of value to this company and did not get treated well. I got screwed over by Gartner and the temp agency I signed with. Management at Gartner led me on to believe I'd permanently get this role. They used me for as long as they could and then completely "ghosted" me after they found out that I knew they were going against policies, and breaking the law in more than one way. I was not compensated respectively to my duties. Gartner Specialists were getting paid 2-3x what I was and I was doing the exact same work, if not, more. There's absolutely no room for growth as a contractor. Agencies may tell you that there is, Gartner will as well. However, there isn't. Everyone who watched over my work was extremely happy with it. They agreed that I had highly exceeded expectations. For some reason, that didn't make a difference. Typically, people like it when one's actions speak louder than words. That was not the case -

Pros

The Gartner Specialists are extremely helpful, collaborative, inquisitive, and kind

Cons

terrible compensation, Terrible hr, poor management, no room for growth

Great work life balance (but that's role dependent)

Work life balance was great. Pay was great. Benefits were good. Overall culture was good, the company is diverse. There is lots to like. Unfortunately, the management was stuck in "group think" mode. Free thinking and constructive criticism wasn't always appreciated and/or welcomed. Some of the promotions weren't fair (happened without interviewing), while others weren't allowed to even apply for certain jobs.

Great company with opportunities to grow

Assist software companies schedule appointments with Gartner research analysts to provide an introduction and or update on new products. In this role I have learned from management the importance to build an individual brand which will reflect upon the department and company overall. In addition, build relationships and earn the trust of our client while providing excellent customer care to our clients. Adopting the mindset of "There is always room for improvement" it is difficult at times to continually identify opportunities to strive for excellence. Working as a quiet leader and assisting my colleagues and manager has always been an enjoyable part of my day.

Used to be a great place to work, not anymore

Gartner was once a great place to work, they used to really care about their employees. Many years ago (before 2016) they used to treat their employees with respect and value. Things have taken a turn for the worst since organizational changes on both the Research and the Sales side. Ask anyone on the inside and they care less and less about their employees and more about cost-cutting measures and cheap replaceable labor. Gone are the days of good managers, coaching, mentorship, and helping their teams grow and develop from within. After hiring Sorority girls for managers who only hire and promote their friends it's become a "cool kids club" where you are given raises and promotions NOT based on your performance or merit, but on how much of a "YES MAN" you are and how much you brown-nose your manager. Managers have even been hired from the outside with NO knowledge of the business/industry and NO real experience or management capabilities. The CEO is great, unfortunately middle (junior and senior) managers are ruining this company. This is particularly notable in the Fort Myers office, sadly. Gartner used to be a great place to work, but not anymore. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere, or you'll end up regretting it like so many others.

Pros

Gym on site

Cons

Poor management, mismanagement, poor treatment of employees

Company Culture

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my associates and working together to solve issues. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the problems recent processes changes have caused since we have experienced significant growth. Additionally, the growth has lead to a lack of transparency where no one truly knows what process changes are being implemented until it is announced last second. This has led to many unsuccessful implementations that have harmed our processes.

Good Entry Level Company - Poor Career Advancement

Gartner is growing and its hard to argue they don't provide a useful/much needed service to enterprises across the world. However, the RCS position is a dead-end essentially. One quickly realizes after a few months how there is essentially zero career development in the immediate department, management is just happy "keeping the lights on", and legacy employees bring the rest of the department down. Avoid RES if possible. Otherwise Gartner is a great company. Love the service it provides and benefits are generous.

Productive and fun workplace.

Great manager. A very relaxed work environment. The training was very easy to understand. Work load was well balanced.

Pros

Friendly work environment.

Outstanding opportunity to learn and grow. You get out what you put into it.

Typical day involves analyzing client inquiries to assist in their initiatives. Provide relevant research and connect them with the appropriate research analysts to further discuss both technical aspects and methodologies. Being preview to research, analyst insight and client concerns has expanded my insight into application strategies such as CRM and ERP as well as application governance, support, development and strategy.

Pros

All the information in the world at your finger tips.

A good place to work

lack of advancement for certain roles, focus on metrics not people

Pros

Vacation time adds up over the years

Cons

lack of advancement for certain roles, focus on metrics not people