Gartner logo
Gartner
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Gartner Employee Reviews for Senior Account Executive

Work–Life Balance

Great place, if you’re in the right place

It’s all about working for the right manager and having the right accounts. Gartner is laser focused on its business and driving growth and the products/services do help clients make better IT-related decisions. Unfortunately, the government doesn’t always value the insight Gartner provides because of its reliance on contractors who, in many cases, understand the agency’s nuances far better than the generic Gartner analyst/SME.

Pros

You do well, you’re treated like a king/queen

Cons

You don’t do well, you’re made to feel like the worst rep ever

Solid leadership vision strategy support

I trust, respect and enjoy my sales manager, and the line up. I love my team as everyone gives 100% plus. I wanted little to no travel but they assign AE’s to execs outside your territory with the same client customer. Disconnected and internal competition that’s not productive. I learn something new everyday but my clients see either tons of value, or not that much and I spend significant times keeping clients engaged and to renew membership.

Pros

Mature sales org - great leadership

Cons

No CRM and archaic processes.

workplace culture

Working for Gartner is great when you work with the clients -but back at the ranch it is a different story. Tons of micro-management by metrics that dont always translate to success for the client. The analysts are great but the sales organization is very transnational. Most sales managers are managing up and dont care about their people. The sales management team is a like a college fraternity. Good ole boy network at its finest. The direction of the company is to put everyone down to 1-2 accounts. If you lose a renewal, or sale, you have no place else to go to make things up. There is so much pressure to achieve double digit growth at any cost. Client renewals require huge teams of resources to get the contracts renewed. It demonstrates how much margin there is in the business. The CEB acquisition is creating havoc as technology (mainstay of Gartner) moves out side of IT.

Pros

Great SMEs with the analysts

Cons

sales management

Great place to work, although some of the leaders

Gartner is a great company to work for. Their offerings are valuable to their clients and the sales rep have confidence on sell their products without concerns about delivery.

Pros

Good Offerings, Good Salary, Respected in the market, Serious company

Cons

Some members of the leadership, so much processes.

great sales incentives and support

great training program for new sales reps micromanagement is necessary to meet all the required weekly stats and demands. Your performance is measured by analytics.

Worst Management Team Ever

I've worked many types of jobs with many types of managers in my life as I have been working since I was 16. I have never met a more incompetent management team then the management at Gartner. And while the leadership at the top was OK. Middle management is grossly incompetent.

Pros

Salary/Compensation

Cons

Everything else

Growing pains

Gartner has been a great place to work, but is experience some obvious growing pains in its selection of sales management. Likely to turn around in the future.

Leadership

When you work at Gartner, you represent the leading IT research company in the world. This is a huge competitive advantage. Gartner can be a great company to work for but a lot depends on getting a good territory with a low comp plan otherwise life can be very stressful. Great perks but excessive travel. Overall I would recommend Gartner.

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Excessive Travel

Interesting and Challenging

Gartner has a great product and it was great working with clients in helping to achieve their key initiatives. You learned a lot about all sorts of technologies so it was different every day. Great relationships with C-Level executives.

Pros

Great Product

Cons

VERY HIGH Turnover

Excellent, Fast Paced & Growing Quickly

Excellent, Fast Paced & Growing Quickly. Great to work for Fast Paced & Growing company. Excellent CEO and executives. Super place to grow a career. Highly recommend if you can get it!

Pros

Good Benefits

Jobs at Gartner

Senior Account Executive positions
See more jobs

Moving Up the process scale

Gartner is now a nearly 40 year old company and many of the elements that once made Gartner a unique and exciting place to work are missing. Gartner's business model and value proposition has not changed much and the market for Gartner services is mature. Gartner's approach to these challenges has been to increase standardization of sales process and to rigorously enforce that process. Gartner is a great place to develop C-Level relationships and access to senior executives is greater that most any other technology firm.

Pros

Access to Seiior Executives; Great Brand Recognition

Cons

Process, Process, Process

Great place to work. Great work/life balance and collaborative culture.

Fantastic culture. Highly collaborative and all teams gel collaboratively toward common goal. Industry renowned and highly regarded by clients world wide. High-performance environment fostered by continual learning and exposure to top trends and top minds.

Pros

Industry leader, continuous learning on top trends. Great benefits & healthcare.

Cons

Rapid expansion via acquisition of competitors causing some channel conflict.

2013-Present

I work from home and my current territory is the State Government, which is always changing with new CIO's and changes within the NYS ITS account. I have learned to build my brand and that of Gartner but my territory is too small and feels like selling in a fish bowl.

Pros

Autonomy, Work from Home

Cons

Work from Home, No other reps or teamates in close proximity

Federal organization is in turmoil

Extremely high attrition due to poor manage and clueless about Federal market. SOA Federal organization has consistently missed their plan since 2010. Manage by intimidation. Poor pay. A lot of promises about exceeding plan which are not true.

Pros

benefits are good

Cons

horrible management

Past Gartner Senior Account Exec

Typical day includes a lot of prospecting & client calls.The people are great - very driven and while they ask a lot of you, the rewards are great. What I didn't love was the 50% travel. What I miss is the paycheck.

Pros

winners circle trips, great pay

Cons

lots of travel