Gateway Health Plan Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to work if you are a self starter.
Care Manager RN (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA3 August 2019
I worked on site at a local hospital and then changed to working remotely from home. I did very well as I am able to work independently, enjoy challenges, and I enjoy having a very flexible day. My supervisor was helpful and informative when I had any issues which I needed ideas for. There did seem to be favoritism in this work place. I personally had no complaints though as I always make my supervisors look good.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Favoritism
Medicaid/Medicare Leadership
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA2 August 2019
I have just left GHP they now have a new VP for Medicaid and Medicare (BD) but they still have in place the two buffoons (JC&MS) that PD hired. These two "mean girls", have created a "hostile" work environment for those working with them which has caused a mass of people leaving the company effecting operations and the potential success of the Medicaid RFP. Senior Management has made significant changes but (BD) needs to step up and finish off these two "toxic" individuals before its too late. HR has stood by and covered for these two long enough!!
Pros
the good people who have left
Cons
the PD team still in place
See below
Care Manager, RN Utilization Management (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA30 July 2019
Reviewing various cases, such as inpatient reviews, outpatient therapies, (PT, OT, ST, Cardiac Rehab, Pulmonary Rehab), DME, Home Health, Pre-elective surgeries, Par and Non-Par requests. The hardest part was only having 8 hours to accomplish it all but it was a challenge I enjoyed. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team I worked with. We were always helpful to one another and knew we could count on each when needed.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Not seeing the people you work with
Top 5th ranked Managed Healthcare Company that offered work flexibability, job resources for attaining goals, and collaboration of team members
Senior Community Engagement and Growth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA27 June 2019
A typical day at work with thisd company was one in which I structured and planned out my calendar to be productive and rewarding. I learned to be more of a strength for my team members within the company as well as an asset.
Management gave us the flexibility to work remotely along with being able to accomplish our goals as well as the company goals within our individual/team structured path. The workplace culture was one with collaboration and team building on every level.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to attain company goal's because some were taken out of our goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great group of colleagues that had the same vision and goals as you had for the company.
Pros
Great people to work with, IT technology was top notch, management availability, access to resouces to do your job
Cons
Our division was shut down. We no longer work there.
Good pay, but seems to be going down the drain
Member & Provider Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA20 June 2019
Lack of training in most cases. Then when you ask for help, you get 4 different answers. Then when the call is pulled for compliance, you get points deducted because whomever scores it that day says you shouldve handled the situation a different way. Wouldve found a different job hears ago if it werent for the benefits and salary. Cancelled half of their Medicare plans, and their Medicaid plans in 2 states, another state got pulled to be taken over by Highmark, and they're about to lose their Medicaid plan for PA which is over 70% of their business.
Positive experience
Manager of Network Operations (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA14 June 2019
Senior management, at the time, was rigid towards IT objectives. Many high level management changes created some stability issues. IT and business objectives did seem aligned.
Dying on the vine
Finance Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA12 June 2019
Over the last few years, Gateway has gone from a promising growth story to one that has lost or exited contract after contract. Performance has been so weak over the last 12 months, leadership has been forced to exit multiple states as a result of unresolved sanctions. While current leadership continues to pin these exits to prior leaders, many have been in their roles for over 6 months and nothing seems to change. They seem more interested in selling a bill of goods than addressing the bill that is coming due. There have been multiple rounds of layoffs, which will likely continue so these same leaders can make their bonuses. All the while, the company continues to shed members at an alarming rate to competitors. With the prospect of losing part or all of the company’s major contract in the next year, joining Gateway at this juncture would be an incredibly high risk proposition.
Pros
Compensation is solid
Cons
Long hours, overworks with limited understanding of impact, risk of losing major contracts in the next year, leaders that don’t know how to lead a turnaround even though they talk a lot
Company is imploding
Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA6 June 2019
poor quality and high administrative costs will eliminate it from winning Medicaid bids
CEO is only interested in self promotion
All new executives were unemployed before joining
Ok place to work
Utilization Review Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA1 June 2019
Gateway is an ok place to work. Company is under new leadership. Computer systems outdated. Departments do not communicate with each other. My immediate supervisor and manager are fair and appreciate hard work. It’s hard to get answers to work related questions sometimes.
Pros
Volunteer day, vacation
Cons
Old computer system, communication between departments is poor
Good experience
Registered Nurse - Behavioral Health Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA30 May 2019
I gained knowledge working with my colleagues in fields that were not exclusive to just the RN case management role. I learned about various social services organization and was able to independently find our members services and organizations outside of the immediate Pittsburgh area to better serve their wrap around health care.
Pros
pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons
no time for appointments outside of work
fun productive environment
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA14 May 2019
Gateway is a great place for advancement. The management is focused, driven and dedicated to their one main goal which is to satisfy their members. Very friendly work environment.
Less than stellar, but safe if you don't intend to advance
Medicaid Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA12 May 2019
Everyday I would go through minimal suspensions and run out of work between 3 to 6 hours into the work day. People would be having decently loud conversations or listening to music at their desks. Some would wander over to others cubicles for quick chats.

The managers were non existant and would dodge our requests for additional training or help, but would always take the time to send out a team wide email about what we shouldn't do.

What you came to understand was that you were incharge of figuring out your own workload, and the only real answers you got was either through errors or a decent lead. Supposedly you can work from home but I havn't seen anyone who really deserved to work from home given the opportunity.

The hardest part about this job was understanding the basics of the job due to the lack of decent training. We were trained to do claims completely wrong during our training period, and we were given next to no room to understand our job when we got to the main floor. That and the cafeteria is over priced with only "healthy options" available.

The benefits are decent, and there was a in house doctor available.
Pros
lots of spare time, able to talk to your neighbors, decent benefits
Cons
lack of training, inadequate management, poorly managed resources
Horrible Management and HR
Sales (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA11 April 2019
The leadership team are horrible individuals. The medicaid plan and its operations as been run into the ground. HR stands by and supports hostile managers forcing good people to leave everyday. Run or get out now before the RFP is awarded these "dummies" will surely finish off the company.
Pros
people
Cons
A horrible leadership team
Wonderful work experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA10 April 2019
Gateway is a great place to work, friendly environment and room for growth, it s also flexible and offers training for almost everything, I love the longevity with this company.
work here if you want to
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA8 April 2019
There are plenty reviews online abut how horrible it is to work for gateway so I am not even going to list all the things wrong with the company . All I will say is work here at your own risk
Management in claims is clueless and hires and promotes unqualified family members over employees with more knowledge and seniority.
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA1 April 2019
Replacement of all upper management due to incompetence and mandatory overtime instituted due to poor management in claims department. Nepotism and discrimination when hiring and promoting.
Pros
Nice co-workers. Pretty good benefits. Good location in Pittsburgh.
Cons
Poor training, unrealistic expectations, not allowed to speak to co-workers, can only ask questions in email to support staff, won't get an answer, you'll get in trouble for not having all of your work done.
nice co workers, poor managment and horrible training
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA27 March 2019
very nice co workers, would like job if we had better training, pressure to do job, and meet production, but no help is provided to do job correctly just let you know what you did wrong no real direction on how to fix it, a lot of guessing and assuming, all could be fixed if training was better, very laid back environment flex start time, no scheduled breaks and lunches, can listen to head phones oh and don't have to talk on the phone to do job. great benefits too
Pros
benefits, flex start time, no phone
Cons
poor training, no direction, stress to meet production with little guidance
Good Company to work for.
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA11 March 2019
Gateway was a good company to work for. I enjoyed my time there. The training that was provided was 6 weeks and could be more for this type of position
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Contract Work
Lack of Support from HR
Supervisor, Call Center (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA3 March 2019
Valid concerns taken to HR regarding director. Mass exit of managers, supervisors and staff. very low moral and lack of trust. HR did not care to hear the issues nor did they take action on them even when evidence was supplied. The response was literally if you don't like if we suggest you find another job. So I did
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Upper Managment lacking proper experience to ge effective
Advancement
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA4 February 2019
Working at Gateway Health Plan was a very pleasant overall experience. I learned knowledge and advanced my skill set with the ever changing Healthcare Environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Health Plan. Our community is ready to answer.