General Assembly Employee Reviews

workplace culture
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  saint charles mo8 June 2019
Its a very hot working environment in the summer time. There was different kinds of race. the place didnt have heating and cooling. there was only 2 or 3 lines that you can work. You either made boxes or packed or put product in the machine or did rework everyday.
I took a class here never worked there
Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 June 2019
Indeed wont allow me to skip this step but to clarify never worked there just took a class. I would highly recommend any class GA offers. It was highly rewarding and incredibly well done
Horrible leadership
CC (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO31 May 2019
The company had a sound mission and once was filling a need but it no longer is. Instead of accepting its failing place in the market, it fires those who draw attention to fundamental flaws in their business plan. Everyone is expendable except upper leadership, the more incompetent the better. Managers literally sink campuses in this company. I was with the company just over a year and of our 13 person team, 3 remained. Toxic culture, toxic people, toxic leadership, but wonderful kids. They'll keep you there for awhile but GA's pound of flesh is too high.
Pros
Co-workers, students
Cons
Work-life balance, management, no support, professional development, lack of professionalism, "unlimited" pto that you got made to feel awful if you took
great experience
Full Stack Web Developer Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NY30 May 2019
learned a ton while attending here. i just wish the curriculum focused more on computer science fundamentals instead its very basic and mainly web based technologies.
Great Place
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO6 May 2019
General Assembly is awesome, very innovative in the way they run their business. They are always looking for ways to improve and are willing to consider anyone's ideas for improving.
Tmmc
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON25 April 2019
Great place to work if you enjoy a fast pace environment, most people are pleasent to work with. Benefits are great, pay in great after 5 years of employment with top rate after 10 years at $35/hr but leaves little time for family life and personal hobbies.

Working 10 hour nights so if you live out of town you're not home till 530am which leaves no time to spend with your spouse and kids, but if you don't mind being away from home it's a great place to work.
Pros
Free lunches (occasionally); Great benefits; Good Pay; Above average morale
Cons
Long hours; Negative work/life balance; Long wait till "Permanent" position
Tuition Factory that Floods the Market
UX Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX23 April 2019
General Assembly cares more about getting people to pay for the tuition than to actually build quality students. The screening process is not taken seriously and if you are willing to pay for the course you are probably going to be let into a class, whether you are serious about the content or not.
Great place for those who have dabbled briefly before it.
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA8 April 2019
I would say that this place is great for those who had played around in web development or studied a little code before. They give you a lot of information, and it's not fit for everyone to retain it all.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Support is not the best
Great Place To Learn
Engineering Fellow (Former Employee) –  New York, NY19 March 2019
I enjoyed my time at General Assembly. It's a great environment for honing your coding skills in collaboration with other developers. We were given the chance to work on an Agile team of 5 devs in collaboration with a UX design team to build a full-stack, deployed application.
Great learning environment with some great people
UX/UI Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX11 March 2019
Really enjoyed my time at GA. The administration and student enrollment specialists could be better. You do not get to freely teach as you would like. Tough to get the needed 1 on 1 time with students.
Pros
The WeWork facility was great
Cons
Not a flexible schedule
decent work
assembled kits (Former Employee) –  Dyersburg13 February 2019
most of the kits are easy to complete. we used signal lights if you are about to run out of parts. sometimes you had to get your own parts, and skids.
Pros
no heavy lifting you could get help if you needed it
Cons
you work on personel production, which is hard to do if you are waiting on parts
Life changing in the opportunities it opens up
Data Scientist Immersive (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA16 January 2019
My experience at General Assembly was incredible. The support staff was always welcoming and accommodating. The lab assignments were challenging as were the projects. The group and individual presentation were inline with my educational background and my professional goals. Networking was also highlighted. I feel prepared for an education in data science. They continually adjusted the syllabus to better suit course objectives and my cohorts skills.
Pros
Incredible staff and instructors
Cons
My cohort was the third in Boston, program still needed tuning
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX12 December 2018
I loved General Assembly. They do a great job of setting your career up for success. They give you all the tools you need to go look for a junior level job. Great school
fast-paced production
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Newark, CA10 November 2018
Was a fast-paced production facility that I enjoyed and the co-workers were friendly. I enjoy my time working for the company but looking for something a little more challenging
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay
Troubled Times
Front Lines (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL16 October 2018
Perhaps the company flew a little too close to the sun, but the years I worked there were unnecessarily stressful. Our regional director contributed negatively to our office environment, but there weren't really any checks/balances to his nonsense. Joined in the hope to do some good in the world by leveling the job-training playing field, left feeling kind of skuzzy about the profit-driven structure that encouraged admissions to take advantage of people.
Mentorship Program still in development
Mentor (Current Employee) –  New York, NY12 October 2018
General Assembly is constantly working to improve, which is why they brought on myself and a group of other GA alum to mentor current students. The mentorship program is still a fledgling and will likely change, which is why I'm not leaving a more detailed review. This is an unpaid/voluntary position.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant to Virginia State Senator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA11 October 2018
Great legislative environment. Busy day, busy constituent contact, learned about process of bill becoming bill, meeting other senators and delegates, meeting the governor and mayor.
Pros
Good Human Resources
Cons
None of which I am aware
Awesome place to learn and work !
Full Stack Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA14 September 2018
General Assembly is an awesome place to learn the most hot technologies in the Information technology world ! Once you leave that place you will always want to go back there, it's the bonding that we all have at GA !
Fun Tutor Job
Teaching Assistant(TA) (Current Employee) –  New York, NY11 September 2018
I started recently as a Teaching Assistant in the student resource center. I tutor students using React, Javascript, Express, Node, etc. Stress-free environment. Enjoy helping people learn new concepts and debugging of issues in projects and assignments.
Pros
Great office
Cons
Part-time currently
Great Place to work and learn
Data Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA10 September 2018
I teach evening courses. I review the material to be presented during class, grade assignments and mentor students in this space. Students and staff are excellent to collaborate with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Assembly. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2