Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

GHD Employee Reviews

Australia29 reviews
Breaking New Ground
Creative L&D team creating new horizons for their internal clients. The team worked well together and were very supportive.
GHD is unique in combining architecture and design into their engineering practice.
Great place to work - a good, challenging Intern Program
Good challenging work, productive work environment, autonomy, great colleagues and managers who care about your career.

Hard work, but nothing out of the ordinary. Can be long hours, often end up doing close to 45 hours per week.

Learned a lot in only eight weeks - a very intensive Intern Program.

Workloads are assigned to you and the onus is on you to be proactive and complete it with the resources around you. It's stimulating work - if you want someone to hold your hand, you're in the wrong place.
Large multidisciplanary organisation
Exposure to projects not available to smaller businesses. Good access to information. High safety and employee health awareness. Well documented business processes. Large multidisciplinary organisation.
Productive and fun workplace
Ran by adults for adults in the beautiful Snowy Mountains. Really good drill crews and a management team that you could rely on.
Hours were long but the project itself was such a great experience working alongside a great team both for GHD and the other contractors and Snowy employees.
Pros
Working in the Snowy Mountains
Cons
Working in the Snowy Mountains
A good place to work.
Every one was friendly and went about their day well.
I felt at ease there and enjoyed the work and the work environment.

I would recommend working there to anyone.
Productive and lot of sport and fitness
Start the day with a coffee and end with a coffee
Learned a lot working in a multicultural group

Management friendly and easy to talk to

Workplace culture is respect for every one

The hardest part of the job is the start to get all the information on the project

Enjoyable part of the job is when all is done and on time
Good working environment with opportunities to develop your career
It Was alright working with GHD. Although one year had been working with them, the workload has been low with fewer clients. But overall, a great place to work at as well as having the opportunities to work internally abroad.
Pros
Can't think of any at the moment.
Cons
Long working hours, no employer benefit
Amazing place to work
As a work experience student, GHD was very welcoming and accommodating. Working with industry trained professionals in engineering fields opened my eyes to the world of opportunities.
Fun place to work, you can gain a lot of experience in the field which you need to pursue.
I worked from morning 9am till evening 5pm it was fun and I enjoyed everyday of it, from board meetings to site investigations and working on projects it was all a fun experience I wish I could have worked there for a longer time but unfortunately I wasn't a permanent employee, the working culture is great everyone is supportive and encouraging and you make a lot of new friends in the industry, the most enjoyable part of the job is that learning everyday job role skills from other employees getting to know their experiences and developing your skills.
Loving good company
Loved the company very friendly and efficient to work for and they sure know how to look after there visitors and always friendly and professional about what they do and present
It was a good place to work, good culture. Can have a high turnover rate of employees due to fluctuations in the building industry. From previous employees I thinks it's a good stepping stone company,
Company with strong ethics at the company level and generous in terms of staff training opportunities.
Company with some very good and very skilled people. Deliver good science and outcomes for clients and have a strong project management and safety culture. Also have strong workplace and community ethics. Drawbacks include weak team culture within the team I was associated with and, for a company of its size, no bonus payments to all employees where the company returns a profit (i.e. no real recognition of the contribution of individuals to the overall company success). Also a bit too much silo mentality when it comes to inter-operating centre finances, which creates unnecessary internal competition and division.
Pros
Lots of training opportunities and within-company work opportunities
Cons
Lack of job security, weak team culture and differences in ways GHD rules were applied by different people/centres
Great collaborative team culture
I was lucky enough to work with many great people on a variety of interesting projects across Australia and Overseas with GHD. Multi-disciplinary firms are a great experience for any consultant or designer.
Great flexibility
I have really enjoyed working at GHD. I have had the freedom of flexibility in working location, work hours, extended leave and project work.
Pros
Flexibility, experience of my colleagues, and community involvement
Cons
Overlooking existing employees with new starters in terms of salary and promotions
Always learning something new
A typical day at work usually involves doing a few compaction tests in the morning followed by some mechanical gradings and atterbergs. Im surrounded by fun people who believe in having fun while getting the job done and are always there to help out. Management don;t feel like management but more a part of the team. The hardest part of my Job is having multiple tests due at the same time. Usually involves late hours but im happy with that.
The most enjoyable part is the guys i work with and the instruments i get to use on a daily basis.
Pros
fun
Cons
when its not busy enough
Good, collaborative, stimulationg working enviroment
Wide range of projects and office / site work.
Good blend of ages, experience and skills among staff.

Receptive to innovation and promotes good ideas.

Well managed with appropriate focus on project financials, progress, client relationships.
Job that offered a lot of diversity
This was the place where every day was different, since GHD was a consultancy I got the opportunity to learn new skills and my managers and co-workers treated each other with respect that everyone deserves. Hardest part was being a young professional and getting all the experience to work in such a diverse workplace. But enjoyable was that we all felt like a family and everyone had each others back.
Pros
Fun and enjoyable place to work
Cons
Low wages
Good people, interesting work, strict deadlines.
Quisque quis lacus a tortor consectetur dignissim. Sed lobortis justo lorem, quis porta erat tempor in. Sed tempor blandit purus ut venenatis. Nullam maximus orci eleifend purus tristique, in eleifend.
Morale is low
If I'm encouraged to take another day of my holidays and still work because my job is over budget or there isn't enough work I'm going to scream. The same goes for booking time to leave without pay. It's not fair and a company that prides itself on respecting its staff needs to take a hard look at themselves.
Pros
Nice office space in the middle of the city.
Cons
Having to charge time to leave without pay, annual leave, etc. Very long hours. Proposals thrown together at last minute, often resulting in poorly scoped and budgeted. Noisy, open plan work environment (but I guess that's everywhere these days).
Cut Throat
The culture is cut-throat, with layoffs occurring at regular intervals. Staff are repeatedly told at meetings that it's management's intention no more layoffs will occur, but as soon as things get tough it's farewell to a few work mates. If you're working on a job that involves somebody in another office, you probably won't find out the person is gone, until a deadline has been missed. It's like, "Oh yeah, didn't you know that such and such was made redundant?" Nice. The work is interesting, though and I enjoy the variety of projects that look good on my CV. But sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it. I don't enjoy the environment and have started looking elsewhere for work.
Pros
Great projects.
Cons
Long hours, unpaid overtime, regular layoffs.
Current structure is hard to work in.
GHD was the place to work up until many changes within management occurred on a regular basis over the last few years of my employ. What used to be a great TEAM effort became very much solo with limited support from management and very little if any recognition of efforts shown.
Pros
Exposure to various projects and people.
Cons
Effort required for little compensation