GHD Employee Reviews

Good working environment with opportunities to develop your career
Engineering Geologist (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 May 2019
It Was alright working with GHD. Although one year had been working with them, the workload has been low with fewer clients. But overall, a great place to work at as well as having the opportunities to work internally abroad.
Pros
Can't think of any at the moment.
Cons
Long working hours, no employer benefit
Amazing place to work
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 February 2019
As a work experience student, GHD was very welcoming and accommodating. Working with industry trained professionals in engineering fields opened my eyes to the world of opportunities.
Fun place to work, you can gain a lot of experience in the field which you need to pursue.
VOLUNTEER PLACEMENTS (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC28 April 2018
I worked from morning 9am till evening 5pm it was fun and I enjoyed everyday of it, from board meetings to site investigations and working on projects it was all a fun experience I wish I could have worked there for a longer time but unfortunately I wasn't a permanent employee, the working culture is great everyone is supportive and encouraging and you make a lot of new friends in the industry, the most enjoyable part of the job is that learning everyday job role skills from other employees getting to know their experiences and developing your skills.
Loving good company
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA24 April 2018
Loved the company very friendly and efficient to work for and they sure know how to look after there visitors and always friendly and professional about what they do and present
Company with strong ethics at the company level and generous in terms of staff training opportunities.
Principal Scientist/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 February 2017
Company with some very good and very skilled people. Deliver good science and outcomes for clients and have a strong project management and safety culture. Also have strong workplace and community ethics. Drawbacks include weak team culture within the team I was associated with and, for a company of its size, no bonus payments to all employees where the company returns a profit (i.e. no real recognition of the contribution of individuals to the overall company success). Also a bit too much silo mentality when it comes to inter-operating centre finances, which creates unnecessary internal competition and division.
Pros
Lots of training opportunities and within-company work opportunities
Cons
Lack of job security, weak team culture and differences in ways GHD rules were applied by different people/centres
Great collaborative team culture
Senior Landscape Architect & Urban Designer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne20 January 2017
I was lucky enough to work with many great people on a variety of interesting projects across Australia and Overseas with GHD. Multi-disciplinary firms are a great experience for any consultant or designer.
Great flexibility
Environmental Planner (Former Employee) –  Sydney10 July 2016
I have really enjoyed working at GHD. I have had the freedom of flexibility in working location, work hours, extended leave and project work.
Pros
Flexibility, experience of my colleagues, and community involvement
Cons
Overlooking existing employees with new starters in terms of salary and promotions
Always learning something new
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Traralgon, Victoria, Australia9 May 2016
A typical day at work usually involves doing a few compaction tests in the morning followed by some mechanical gradings and atterbergs. Im surrounded by fun people who believe in having fun while getting the job done and are always there to help out. Management don;t feel like management but more a part of the team. The hardest part of my Job is having multiple tests due at the same time. Usually involves late hours but im happy with that.
The most enjoyable part is the guys i work with and the instruments i get to use on a daily basis.
Pros
fun
Cons
when its not busy enough
Good, collaborative, stimulationg working enviroment
Principal Mechanical Engineer - Water (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD26 September 2015
Wide range of projects and office / site work.
Good blend of ages, experience and skills among staff.
Receptive to innovation and promotes good ideas.
Well managed with appropriate focus on project financials, progress, client relationships.
Job that offered a lot of diversity
Scheduler P6 and Cost Controller (Former Employee) –  Adelaide7 August 2015
This was the place where every day was different, since GHD was a consultancy I got the opportunity to learn new skills and my managers and co-workers treated each other with respect that everyone deserves. Hardest part was being a young professional and getting all the experience to work in such a diverse workplace. But enjoyable was that we all felt like a family and everyone had each others back.
Pros
Fun and enjoyable place to work
Cons
Low wages
Good people, interesting work, strict deadlines.
GIS Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC30 July 2015
Quisque quis lacus a tortor consectetur dignissim. Sed lobortis justo lorem, quis porta erat tempor in. Sed tempor blandit purus ut venenatis. Nullam maximus orci eleifend purus tristique, in eleifend.
Morale is low
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane26 June 2015
If I'm encouraged to take another day of my holidays and still work because my job is over budget or there isn't enough work I'm going to scream. The same goes for booking time to leave without pay. It's not fair and a company that prides itself on respecting its staff needs to take a hard look at themselves.
Pros
Nice office space in the middle of the city.
Cons
Having to charge time to leave without pay, annual leave, etc. Very long hours. Proposals thrown together at last minute, often resulting in poorly scoped and budgeted. Noisy, open plan work environment (but I guess that's everywhere these days).
Cut Throat
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane20 June 2015
The culture is cut-throat, with layoffs occurring at regular intervals. Staff are repeatedly told at meetings that it's management's intention no more layoffs will occur, but as soon as things get tough it's farewell to a few work mates. If you're working on a job that involves somebody in another office, you probably won't find out the person is gone, until a deadline has been missed. It's like, "Oh yeah, didn't you know that such and such was made redundant?" Nice. The work is interesting, though and I enjoy the variety of projects that look good on my CV. But sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it. I don't enjoy the environment and have started looking elsewhere for work.
Pros
Great projects.
Cons
Long hours, unpaid overtime, regular layoffs.
Current structure is hard to work in.
Senior Technical Officer/Safety Auditor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD14 May 2015
GHD was the place to work up until many changes within management occurred on a regular basis over the last few years of my employ. What used to be a great TEAM effort became very much solo with limited support from management and very little if any recognition of efforts shown.
Pros
Exposure to various projects and people.
Cons
Effort required for little compensation
Great staff and committed to their craft
Principal Resource Geologist Coal (Former Employee) –  Ann Street,Brisbane, QLD, Australia12 January 2015
Work initially involved reviewing and rebuilding a geological model using computer software. Rebuilding the geology involved interrogating and editing the correlations for a Central Queensland Mine. The work was time constrained and also required coal quality to be built.

In the current job climate this role was casual and contracted only for work available. My co-workers are some of the best people I have worked with in the past, all dedicated geologists and geotechnical engineers comparable to any former colleagues with whom I have associated.

The most enjoyable aspect of the work was becoming proficient in geological modelling software that had previously not been used for over 12 years.
Pros
Good staff and readily accepted into the group
Cons
Time constraints, getting up to speed with a project initiated by someone else
Productive and Challenging Workplace
Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD11 March 2014
I am a Graduate Structural Engineer working in the Property and Buildings Sector.
Not a bad place to work
Water Resource Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia10 February 2014
Great engineering consultant. Able to work an some impressive projects.
Pros
Free lunches, city location
Cons
Competitive
GHD is a globally strong company with systems in place to operate internationally
Principal Pavement Engineer (Current Employee) –  Perth, WA17 November 2013
A typical day at work includes conducting pavement designs for various in-house service lines. Visual condition surveys of civil projects. Interaction with co-workers in a relaxed environment. Learning Western Australian pavement design methods and specifications. Most enjoyable part of the job is feedback from management on opportunities won.
Pros
Pleasant work environment, company mobile phone, physical activities like walking/cycling propoted.
Cons
Current lack of large projects in pavements division
Professional ,productive environment
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD31 July 2013
No Day is the sanme , varies according to specific projects available.
Last 5 jears I was seconded into Santos dealing with water issues, hardly saw my own management, maybe a meeting every 3 weeks.
Inside Santos a healthy work environment, worked in a team that worked well together, hardly any conflicked as everybody was focused in delivering the project.
Pros
Being on the forefront of new developments
Cons
Long hours, lots of field work and travelling
Good friendly enviroment to work
Cadet Mechanical Drafter (Former Employee) –  Brisbane20 October 2012
GHD provideds equal work/life balance and continues to help in any way they can, but through some poor management and highly unnessary employment of several people have lead to unessary redundentcies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GHD. Our community is ready to answer.