Glassons
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Glassons Employee Reviews

Australia19 reviews
Glassons is a very fast-paced work place environment that is built on team work and communication. You are constantly working with your team to reach monthly targets and daily goals. Management is great for the most part. However, in saying that I went overseas for 2 months and when I came back there was new management. Not only did they ignore my messages asking to be put back in the roster they never gave me shifts again. Other than that, really great team environment that is hard-working, but also fun!
Pros
Discount
Cons
communication (sometimes)
With our location in one of the biggest shopping centres in Melbourne West, competition was high and demands needed to be met. Team work was essential
Pros:
- excellent discounts/incentives

- fast-paced

- great group of girls

- good opportunities to grow within the company

Cons:

- hard to get consistent hours as a casual employee

- Could be called in last minute to cover shifts
Horrible environment to work in .
If you want your regional manager in your face EVERYDAY then work here.

The company never gives you the opportunity to become a manager, assistant manager its always the same people they know so if your part time/casual youll be staying in the same spot till you quit. MANAGERS ARE LOSERS.
Management - store manager rude, no clue what theyre doing as well.
Such a bchy vibe, not a nice place to work. NO SHIFTS EVER! overall, the only enjoyable part of the job is the discount on the clothes. they promise you huge growth within the company and instead of helping you grow, they cut your shifts. they care more about the influencers they PAY TO LIKE THEM on instagram than they do about people who work hard in real life for them.
Worked there for over two years and would not recommend to anyone that is considering. There is a large mean girl culture and if you don't look or act the part you will be treated like trash.
Management gives shifts to people they like and can gossip with over strong workers. I was a part time worker contracted to specific hours a week and shifts were given to casual workers.

Upper management don't care about the employees and will not reply to countless emails or text messages. There have been racist remarks made by a manager and nothing was done about it.

You get paid minimum wage and get underpaid. I was underpaid every single pay run for over 3 months.

They have no payroll team so the underpayments are emailed to the state manager and they manually pay you.

I was bullied by an old manager and she spoke about me to other workers and was extremely unproffesional.

You will leave this job feeling completely mentally drained. Dont do it.
Glassons fell short of all of my expectations and everything I was promised. I came into Glassons with such a positive and spirited mindset and I left feeling like my spark had gone. The first and most important thing to know about Glassons is that there is no focus on the customer experience. This should be the number 1 priority for every business and the lack of this has such a negative spiral effect on every single part of the company. There is no expectation to even say hello to customers and because of this, you do not learn or use any skills in this job. You are there to do put backs, put customers into change rooms and be a security guard. That is all. There is no people culture. Nobody is happy to be there. Nobody is inspired by their leaders or wants to grow with the business. These are MASSIVE things you need to consider when applying for a job here because they will impact the day-to-day work flow more than you'd realise. Please keep in mind, this company does not have a HR department, no online portal to access any kind of information, they do not give you access to your payslips (your store manager has to print these for you to see them) and your regional manager does not talk to you directly as a team member, she will only speak to you through your store manager as this is "not her job". If this is the kind of company you want to work for, then so be it. But in the 8 months I worked for Glassons, I did not learn a single thing and I was meant to be a "manager in training". I was surrounded by women who did not want to be in that environment and I would choke to - more...
Pros
pathetically easy job, if that's what you're looking for.
Cons
everything
I worked at Chermside store for a few months. They give the new staff the worst jobs. I had to sit on the floor in a skirt and was told to scrub the floor skirting under the clothes while the store was open (i had to do a lot of cleaning because it was not up to standard and seemed like it hadn't been done for years) They couldn't organise anything. They wouldn't let me try learn new things. They told me to dress more provocative and try sell the lingerie to the boyfriends who are waiting for thier girlfriends... No one stays long because they all realise it sucks to work in.
Once I out in my resignation they told me to "don't bother coming back for the next two weeks" didn't get paid out or anything. So unprofessional. Not a good work space at all
Pros
10% off
Cons
11/ hr. Nasty girls
It was extremely hard to work at Glassons as a new staff member. After only having no more than one shift a week, and the shift was 3 or 4 hours long, management expected that you were progressing.

The turnover of stock is so high and there is always new products and having expectations on a staff member who receives no training (except for an online program that they think will develop your skill as a sales assistant) so coming in to work with every piece of clothing completely new just makes it more difficult as you have 10 minutes before a 3 hour shift to remember everything that is new, but then not need anything as the next week will be all new product.

Other girls would have more shifts which is understandable as they had more longevity in their positions, but it is not sustainable for a university student who is now independent to live off pay that is worth 6 hours over an entire fortnight, PLUS be expected to buy new clothes nearly every shift as the clothes in store change every single week.

I had 5 days of availability but apparently it wasn't good enough and once again, understandable as other workers who have been there a year should get priority, but there was no proper training provided and expectations were too high in a very understaffed store. Shifts were also cut often due to head office as a store needed to make more money.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short shifts, expectation to always improve, little training
Poor working culture, catty environment, rude head office staff members . Pay was low, management did not receive proper training and staff were mistreated
Pros
store discount
Cons
bad hours
Before I was hired at Glassons I loved shopping there and loved the clothes, and I still do. But working there is a whole other story
1. Management treat you like so poorly, never a positive word to anyone, they aren’t trained and have no idea what they’re doing

2. Upper management is even worse. Many staff have gone to them for issues and have basically been accused of ‘lying or misunderstanding the situation’

3. You are expected to arrive early and finish late, all of which is unpaid for when you’re already getting the minimum wage

4. You are expected to work over time, work sometimes 12 hour days and not get paid over time

5. Your opinion is never asked, wanted or needed and the store is always extremely understaffed.

6. You ‘have to’ wear current clothes, even though we get no clothing allowance, basically some of your already low pay is supposed to go on new clothes every fortnight..
Pros
Made some great friends, 40% discount
Cons
Poor management, unpaid overtime, unappreciated
As a christmas casual i received close to 0 shifts in the span of 3 months. After receiving the job in September my first shift was in November, and that was only a 3 hour training shift. The first team meeting since i got the job was in the end of November. Very unprofessional to the eye of a christmas casual however the permanent girls seemed to be fine in their position.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No shifts
rReally fun environment, and great people. Weren't flexible enough for me to balance between year 12 work and work. Not enough shifts and because of that I had to spend all my pay on clothes to wear to work.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not enough shifts. short hours
A typical day at work includes spreading positivity and guidance to customers and optimum service for their needs. Going above and beyond to deliver the best customer service.
Pros
Store Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours
- Shocking Training program. They promise you management progression and then get bored of you and choose newer employees to take your place
- constantly threaten to take your shifts away

-expect you to dress head to toe in new Glassons clothes every shift and when the items go out of the store you are told you must buy new clothes out of your own pocket (only given a discount and cannot claim this on tax, and we are given no clothing allowance)

- the upper management. (state manager etc) bullies and has unrealistic goals inflicted on lower management which Is carried down to casuals.

- full of gossiping, catty and rude behaviour, immaturity and young inexperienced management

-dont get paid for team meetings which are often held at 6pm-8pm on a week nights

-is criticised for not wearing a cake face of makeup

The only good parts were *some* of the girls there, easy job and nice discount. I would not recommend this work place. It has been toxic for my and many other employees' mental health. They have no sympathy when someone is sick- whenever you ask to block off days. They view this as unreliable and undedicated. I have never been so disrespected and patronised in my life.
Pros
easy job, discount
Cons
poor training program, gossipy culture, unrealistic standards, have no respect for employees and their hard work
I learnt many skills including:
- management, how to work with a diverse group of people from all areas

- flexibility

- how to work under fast paced conditions

- how to prioritise

- time management and planning

- how to work with different personalities and how to achieve the best results from each individual

- good work culture

- the people and training were the most enjoyable part of the job. Have the opportunity to contribute to another persons learning and watching them succeed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
There is typically no time for standing around, especially on the weekends as the location and products of the store attract such a wide range of customers. As this was my first job, I had nothing to compare it to but I loved working with girls around my age and being taught the ins and outs of working in retail.
Pros
Amazing staff discounts
While the training program used by the company is extensive and informative, the company generally view employees as people who work FOR them, not WITH them. This results in high staff turnover, poor resolution of concerns and a very disposable culture for people. Have seen it go from a tight knit family business to a money hungry, stand-on-people-to-gain-success business. Increasingly poor transparency with staff has resulted in confusion and disappointment for many employees.
Glassons provided a creative environment that allowed me to get career progression in the fashion industry. Being able to work with friends and connect with new co-workers and build relationships within the store made the workplace a fun and happy environment. Working at Glassons allowed me to voice my opinions and perspectives on merchandising and being able to take risks to gain more knowledge in the fashion industry. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with a fantastic team that helped me in the training program within the fashion industry. Going into work with fun, upbeat music and clothes that were up to date in trends and being able to show them off and also having co-workers that made work fun, happy and an environment that was great to work in :)
Pros
Massive discounts on the clothes!!