Gold Coast City Council

36: Gold Coast City Council Employee Reviews

Australia36 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Poor Managers

Received Bullying & Suspension over created Hear Say.. from a Disliked Supervisor. I Was disliked because of my Personality which is Phlegmatic, I dont smile or show emotion. Stupid Supervisor thought i was depressed however its one of the 4 psychological characters. I didn't fit in to his down-line so i was disliked. We had annual fitness testing & i made a slight mistake with a movement , he then sneakily crossed me off as a failure with out my knowledge, however he made me do it again which i did it correctly. Another Guard did the same thing as me & he was never marked as incompetent. Later stories were created from other guards from not helping supervisors with a pen to being unhelpful with first aid matters, however i had already been employed there 3 years with a clean Record. All this was False hear say & a way in trying to get me out. Upper Managers compose Memos regarding fairness & equality however was never Actioned or Monitored. Managers owned up to the Bullying & Harassing & I went under Psychological Assessing under the Councils Umbrella for months. This is White Elephant outfit.

Pros

Cons

Managers are Lax to the under staff.

Bunch of gronks

Summary says it all. Supervisors and above were old and useless. Machinery to work on was dirty and disgusting and pay was poor for what had to be done.

Toxic Culture, Poor Management and Bullying is encoraged

Most of Senior Management are not team players, don’t handle conflict very well. They have very low empathy, are manipulative and deceitful and most have a Jekyll and Hyde type of character. The executive level are very ambitious, often seek positions of power and do well on KPIs (key performance indicators) as that's their only focus... unfortunately they often destroy people in the process and bully everyone to get their own way.

Pros

Some Really good people who want to make a difference

Cons

Toxic Culture where bullying is encoraged

Extremely poor culture.

Very poor culture. Bullying, intimidation and demeaning treatment from senior staff does not get addressed appropriately. While there are some very good professional people employed including my previous boss/EC, in general overall maturity of the wider business is very low compared to most commercial organisations of this size.

Good

Good experience, lots of opportunities to interact and showcase ones skillset. Working in a fast paced environment often autonomously. Good team to work and interact with .

Working in the parks and landscapes section

I am writing this as a staff member or should I say former permanent staff member of the now city of gold coast,I am now on redeployment as i injured myself on the job over two years ago now and I have done every thing needed to get back to work.I have been told I need operation to fix the work place injury I got and the council in there wisdom rejected this and I am now having to look for a new job either still with the council or outside the council,this is a lot harder than they make it seem,after almost 30 years working there,I have just been pushed aside into the to hard basket,I feel that I am been punished for getting injure on the job.

Secure job to some extent

Had operation on leg, and wasn’t fully fit to return to my employed role as a parking officer. Council had no other employment I was suitable for and ceased my employment. I was never terminated for lack of desire to work or my work performance what so ever.

Fun workplace with great people

Fun environment with great people who all get along well. Hours are reasonable and flexible to swap if required. Great location and not far from home.

Productive and fun workplace

It is a fun workplace with loads of hardworking people. I have learn a lot at Gold Coast City council. As the organisation is very large, one can get expose to lots of corporate material for running such large organization as well as there are lots of opportunity to get expose to various phase of a project starting from Planning all the way to construction and maintenance.

Pros

Life work balance and job security

Cons

Salary

They know how to waste taxpayers money.

A typical day here would be sucking up to anyone above you. If you do not do this u will be fired. The people that have been here for years act like they own the company, and are writing your check. They are complacent and very rude, would almost call it bullying. Everyone working for them should have there position reviewed every 2 years by someone not on the council.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Gold Coast City Council?

Very competent executive management level

Great place to live and work. Competent tradespersons and a good understanding of maintenance/asset management principles. Great social interactions with the workforce.

Great place to work and excellent work conditions

Great place to work and excellent work conditions. The hardest part about the job is the 'politics' so to speak and the reality that some staff in this workplace feel rather entitled and therefore don't always recognise what a good workplace it really is. All roles that I worked in with GCCC involve quite a lot of variety and allow you to take ownership of your contribution.

Pros

Fortnightly RDO

Cons

Have to pay for parking

It was a great place to work

My day to day work was always different. I was an all rounder operator so I could fill in anywhere they needed me to. So they always had someone to keep the jobs going.

Pros

Always payed on time

Cons

No real cons

not that great

under paid, not good with reporting about any kind of abuse. was helpful when needed the help. lazy and never really worked hard enough. or kept sleeping on the job or being on there phones.

Pros

great learning experince

Cons

lazyness

Good team environment... good helpful co workers

Working for the council was a good positive experience. Great team environment, good working conditions. Management were helpful and positive. Advancement difficult.

Pros

nil

Cons

nil

Great

Typical day at work included maintaining parks and gardens, general labouring work, maintaining equipment and operating machinery. Great job, really loved it.

Great people, difficult environment

I spent most days researching policies and procedures, and finding the person I needed to meet with to get approval for projects I was working on. The hardest part is how long it can take to get a decision made.

Pros

Great people, 9 day fortnight is great.

Cons

Complex, political and slow.

Great city, great people

I saw how a big city could function efficiently from the bottom up. I was very impressed with the amount of oversight that the city had, they really took care of every employee and I had a great time working for them.

Management is the worst

I agree with the other statement, this is a very toxic workplace. Dare to stand up for yourself and your work hours will decrease and they will try to fire you.

Pros

lots of free perks for full time

Cons

Toxic management. Nothing if you are casual

Always a pleasure to go to work and liaise with guests on holidays

Always love my job and working with people, both my colleagues and guests. The guests are on holidays and are always happy and excited to be staying with us. The most enjoyable part of my job is to go above and beyond guests expectations, making their holiday memorable.

Pros

Being in a happy stress free environment

Cons

Working weekends and late nights

Professional, modern environment

I worked as a student librarian for a period of three weeks. In this time, I worked on all aspects of the job, including shelving, front desk, IT, computer aide, customer service desk, returns and collection duties. I helped set up school holiday activities, reading groups, book club and helping set up displays. My co workers were pleasant and helpful answering to any queries I had. The hardest part of the job is quite difficult to answer, as I enjoyed the work experience, the customers and helping to run the library. I enjoyed interacting with the customers, helping with queries (including telephone), plus helping with computer queries.

Pros

A change of duties every hour, which helped keep the library role dynamic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gold Coast City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Gold Coast City Council with