GoodStart Early Learning Employee Reviews

It's childcare, but it tries to be better than the rest
Early Childhood Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 October 2018
This company pays above many other similar childcare companies.

Casual employees can be treated as expendible and not part of the team.

The usual pitfalls of childcare exist at this company - high staff turnover, stressful work environment, toxic workplace culture and staff not being recognised and rewarded for their hard work.

It's a shame that there is still so much plastic and fake toys rather than real, authentic, child-centric outdoor learning.

Every centre is different and the standards for supervision and education vary wildly.

Some centres don't maintain ratio during lunch breaks and can leave one staff member with many children at once e.g. 15 babies to one staff member. Others are more safe.
Pros
Pay, many centres so you can transfer, company tries to promote positive change, not for profit
Cons
Toxic work environment, doesn't maintain ratio, centres vary wildly
enjoyable workplace
Childcare Educator (Former Employee) –  Bondi Junction NSW2 October 2018
the centre follows rules properly and the ratio is always met, organised centre that gives time to do paperwork during work hours. well equiped and great excursion opportunities
Pros
happy atmosphere
A Goodstart
SENIOR EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Golden Square15 September 2018
I enjoyed my time at Goodstart. Meeting families and having the responsibility of looking after and educating their children is full filling. Very professional
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Alot of paper work
Never work here
Early Childhood Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD12 September 2018
Management was overall unsupportive during high stress. Non exclusion policy meant physically abusive children not dealt with appropraiately. Limited breaks. Often forced to work overtime indefinitely not knowing when you would actually finish despite roster.Professional development was available but company directed meaning you had to travel an hour each way to complete at head office. Once training was online. At one time five staff had received written warnings which is unheard of. They offer a bonus for ECT's and good discounts for staff childcare.
Pros
reasonable income
Cons
poor management and support
wonderful place
Educator assistant (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD9 September 2018
I have been working for this amazing company for years, Townsville, canberra ans I had opportunity to work for goodstart as a casual staff I had the best experience ever.
Unwelcoming and unfriendly
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Warner QLD2 September 2018
I found it very difficult to do my work experience at this centre as the staff were quite unfriendly and not always very helpful. I would not like to return to this centre.
Can be a learning journey for ones self. You learn by and with the children and your peers.
Senior educator (Former Employee) –  Kalgoorlie WA13 August 2018
Goodstart has many advantages over other centres such as their values and leading edge in childrens education and learning. The company makes sure to select the right people for the job and encourage their learning development through specialised training. A great company to work for when you work as a team and are acknowledged for the challanging work you do.
Pros
Observing a child develop through your teaching.
Cons
Extra hours because a team memeber is unable to fulfil their shift.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Room leader/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dubbo NSW30 July 2018
Working with a range of different educators and children and never know what each day will bring.
I loved working with the older children who where able to challenge your thinking and keep you guessing as the day went on.
Pros
loved the 1hr lunch breaks
Cons
long long hours
GoodStart Early Learning is a good quality daycare centre
Volunteer Early Childhood Educator and Carer (Former Employee) –  Labrador QLD22 July 2018
As I was a trainee at GoodStart Early Learning Labrador for more than one year. I was working with all experience staffs. All staffs engage children by using play-based learning that encourages the development of outcomes within the Early Years Learning Framework.
A productive workplace
Student log (Former Employee) –  Boonah QLD9 July 2018
Goodstart Early Learning Centre provides a variety of learning achievements for both children and employees and is a great environment for both children and adults.
Pros
Experiences with children of all ages
Cons
Lots of spare time
Positive work place
Educator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD18 June 2018
It is a good and positive work place, the children are beautiful and the educators always go out of their way to make a childs day special. If I had children I would send them to goodstart.
Terrible company!
Assistant Educator (Former Employee) –  Toongabbie NSW24 May 2018
I worked for Goodstart for a number of years and have watched it decline dramatically in so many different aspects.
Management is horrible! No support, no compassion, no care for workers and their personal/family commitments. When there is a complaint, it is swept under the rug, and/or brushed off by directors and above as they are all ‘buddies’ who cover their own butts.
Paperwork is becoming a joke. Expectations from staff are ridiculously high. We are expected to supervise children, complete daily tasks, implement curriculum, document and complete routines all without support or revision. It is no longer about helping to prepare and teach children for their future, more of just letting them do whatever they feel whenever they feel, no structure!
Parents complained numerous times and nothing is done.
AVOID Goodstart for both employment and childcare needs!
Pros
Cons
Many
It was good and enjoyable.
student assistant of centre staff educator (Former Employee) –  Ingle Farm SA8 May 2018
I am able to work as soon as possible that fits my skills and I love doing all my duties especially at work and I value the people around me. My most enjoyable job is taking care the children start from 6 months old up to 5 years old, that was during my workplacement in a childcare center. Also as a room attendant I love working with different people and taking care the people around our work and maintaining there health during there stay in a hotel.
Productive and Fun workplace.
Casual Educator (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA22 April 2018
Busy days at work
Learnt time management and how to work under pressure
Management needs to be improved
Workplace culture is fun and diverse
Hardest part of the job is working in extreme staffing conditions and lack of support
Most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of the staff you meet and the fun environment.
Cons
too much paper work and too much pressure
It’s more about business than the children
Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Adelaide SA6 April 2018
Staff overworked and expected to do numerous jobs in limited time with little to no support.

Marketing has become a priority. Everything is made to look well and good, yet staff are run off their toes.

Centre fills rooms to max + capacity, which does not allow for quality education as the day becomes about just surviving. This also means that children get less one on one time.

Management need to be more qualified and paid better to justify this.
Pros
Staff are friendly
Cons
Stressful, under appreciated, low pay, high turn over of staff
Great pay, no respect for staff
Group leader (Former Employee) –  Nowra NSW4 April 2018
No respect for staff from management. Bullying doesn’t get dealt with accordingly. When you are unwell you don’t get any sympathy from your management you just get yelled at and made to feel guilty
Pros
Pay
Cons
No appreciation
Productive, fun, professional work environment with room for further development
Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kempsey NSW3 April 2018
Every half hour since work starts all employees have a task that they have to fill before arrival of children. This allows time management practice and working together as a team. There is always on going training where needed for every individual employee. Where I was which is Good Start Kempsey management need a lot more training them selfs with time management and staff communication. Family orientated. When employing new staff the management feel that they should be perfectly knowing of job role without question no help form other staff on experience training. The incentives that are provided is the most enjoyable part.
Poor Management
Float Casual (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD12 February 2018
I worked at an amazing centre which then sadly the reputation went down hill. The centre lost 50percent of their staff within 6months. Due to a change in management.. The culture was amazing, everyone got along, families were happy and i loved going to work. The Area M came in and had too much control. Now i try to avoid this centre even though i need work.
Pros
lunch time, playing with kids, talking with families
Cons
Am
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW12 February 2018
Goodstart was a good place to learn and experience work in a day care. The staff were beautiful and always checked if you needed help. The children were very nice & lovely to meet
look after the children
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kambah ACT12 February 2018
I am not work in this centre. I just had practiced. I'm really like this centre. It is quite nice centre. The educators are very friendly and kind with me. Explain for me any issues about child care major.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodStart Early Learning. Our community is ready to answer.