Grill'd Healthy Burgers Employee Reviews

I wish I never stepped foot in that place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Collingwood VIC21 March 2019
Pay is absolutely ridiculously low for the work required from you, the people are usually good but management is trash and you are treated as expected by big corporations who don't care at all about their staff. I made the mistake of ignoring the bad reviews this company had, and was roped into ridiculous hours, bad culture at the store I worked at, with gossipy managers who spied on you. NOT worth at all, can't get over how bad the pay is
Pros
Met some good people
Cons
Everything else
It is a great work environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 March 2019
The work environment is supportive and helpful in building skills and maintaining KPI's. The payment is very low, but with added benefits like contributing to your super and paid leave that comes with the benefits of part-time work; these things need to be taken into consideration.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay
grill'd
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Victoria10 March 2019
busy environment especially on the weekends. not much of a work life balance as they need you free most weekends. not stable income for what I'm looking for
Great Environment and Great People
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Neutral Bay NSW28 February 2019
Had a great work experience working at Grill'd Neutral Bay, only problem I had was how far it was from where I live. Other than that Great Experience!
Pros
People
Cons
Gets really busy
Grill'd
Cook and Customer service (Current Employee) –  West End QLD18 February 2019
Good place to start but salary is very low at a young age, meaning there is almost definitely a requirement to find a better paying job in the future to support yourself.
Great Team
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Erina Fair NSW10 February 2019
At the time of working there the team was great, training was great. but management at the time was very big on social status, focused on popularity of certain team members - therefor giving them more shifts.
A safe sanctuary turned into a nightmare
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Browns Plains QLD, Brisbane QLD7 February 2019
You stayed in this job, not for the money, but your work mates. These people were your work family and helped you in all aspects of your life.

I learned to be more comfortable being myself and this work place made me flourish as a person and individual.

The first manager was amazing! We all loved him, but when he was relocated and promoted, we were left with new management that was childish and unprofessional. It increasingly got worse and they hired non-like minded employees who made our wok place more dramatic than a high school setting. Then there was the dating scandal and sucked innocent people into rumours that almost ended careers.

The hardest part of the job really depends on the individual in question. I love my job and any new challenge is something exciting, others would disagree. My favourite part of this job was how everyone cared so much for each other and looked out for one another.

After all the drama, I transferred to a city Grill'd where it's very cut-throat. They don't like outsider's which makes the job difficult and I ask myself, 'why am I even going to work?' The great thing about being transferred is that it's a busier store which is improving my speed. The other con is that everyone treats me like i'm new to the company when I've been there just as long or longer than them.
Pros
5+ hours worked meant a free burger.
Cons
Bad Salary.
Great people, bad system.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 February 2019
The majority demographics of the restaurant staff are millenials/gen z, which can be a hit or miss to potential employees out there. The staff are generally friendly, and isn't afraid to help.

Most (if not all) stores use a conveyor-belt method for cooking burgers, making one to order (the chips as well), so peak hour can be easier to handle compared to normal restaurants.

Initially joined due to promise of: a free Certificate II in Hospitality while on the job, free RSA provided, a good experience in fast-paced environments.
But in reality, a Cert II in Hospo is better than nothing, but it's basically next to nothing.
What's worse is that the training which was supposed to be provided was frequently delayed to the point (most likely to reduce cost/manpower going into training) that I was only fully trained for 3 stations as of quitting 4 months in (out of 10+), and RSA was just pipe dream.
Fast-paced environment? I felt the heat, alright. Just in front of a fryer or a dishwasher all the time, as no training was provided for elsewhere.

Job escalation is basically impossible, as there are only 3 main positions in the store I'm aware of: Team Member, Team Leader, and Manager. Team Leader is just Team Member + learning how to count money.

Going back to 'training', as since I was hired under the pretense of 'traineeship', I was given a pay of 14.50 per hour. Which is, not only very low, was incorrect. I was supposed to be paid 16 per hour, but they did not bother fixing that until 2 months into my job.

In conclusion;

Perhaps studying wouldn't be too bad.
Pros
Working for 5 hours or more on a single day gives a free burger.
Cons
Extremely low pay rate (if untrained in hospitality), delayed training
Fun place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW21 January 2019
I love working at Grill'd. It is a fantastic place to work for a first job. Grill'd helps you to grow in your hospitality/customer service skills. It also challenges you daily to be the best you can be and to learn new things. I recommend applying to Grill'd when if you ever get the chance!
Pros
Awesome Team, Team Outings, Fun Opportunities
Cons
Can be Tiring
great company but the work never ends
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Carindale QLD4 January 2019
grilld is a fantastic business but is overly ambitious and does not provide any support or work life balance to managers. it teaches you a lot and is a great start into management but you have to work for it!
Pros
free food, great team environment
Cons
long hours, very high expectation
Absolutely terrible management
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD30 November 2018
The franchisee was hopeless. I was absolutely appalled at how the staff were treated. I was hired as a team leader, yet told to not tell anyone as it "may offend some people". This wouldn't have been an issue, had it not been for the problems I then faced. I was told to "fix employee morale", "get people to work harder" and "pull people into line". I tried doing this in a friendly way, but was seen as an intruder. I was "just the new girl".

I watched the franchisee reprimand and put immense pressure on other TL's due to poor staffing choices, yet coddle the staff who were creating issues. Staff who turned up late, swore and screamed at other staff, refused to listen to TL's, refused to do their jobs, etc, were all told what a great job they were doing. The TL's would then be reprimanded for the staff behaving that way. When myself and other TL's asked for a bit of support and not to be undermined when trying to manage staff, the franchisee would make false promises.

I busted the franchisee lying about disciplinary action. He would tell members of staff they were "on official warnings", but when no one else was around, he would tell them not to worry about it and he was only doing it to appease other staff.

The staff turnover was ridiculous. In the 6 weeks I was there, I was the 4th person to leave, another 5 or so staff had been hired and yet, the same 3 people were always the ones who ended up being called in. These same people who continually be threatened with their jobs, be told they were "letting the team down" and treated poorly.
One staff member in particular
  more... had been called in 6 or more times in a 2 week period, working multiple splits, huge days, stayed back almost every day, covered for just about everyone and when her brother went missing and serious concerns were held for his safety, she needed to take the day off. She was reprimanded for it heavily and the franchisee openly criticized her to the other staff while she was out looking for her brother.

The franchisee told me on more than one occasion that the best way to get people in line was to turn them on each other. So if anyone was unable to come to work, no matter what the reason, he would encourage the team to hate on them for it.

The franchisee also threatened to fire anyone who took a second job, even if they were only making $200-300pw.
Pros
Fast-paced environment, great training program
Cons
Toxic work environment, poor management
Grill'd Healthy Burgers!
SENIOR TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Southern Cross VIC19 November 2018
On a daily basis would include interaction with customers and the team, Food preparation and cash register management.

Working here is great as the team members are lovely and you get to learn many things from everyone there.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shifts are fixed
Great team =great day. Bad team = Bad day.
Team Member (Casual) (Former Employee) –  South Bank QLD7 November 2018
I was lucky to work with a great team in a large store in Brisbane.
The hours were very flexible and worked well with being a uni student.

However the store was poorly managed with a high turnover of Restaurant Managers. Many whom picked favourites for shifts. Would expect overtime from most staff and or split shifts. Most managers were just unpleasant to work with. But under the right management this store would be amazing.

The pay was under the minimum wage for my age, they got around this by making it mandatory for all staff to sign up to a Cert II in Hospitality. There was no support ever given to complete this.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor Management
Grill'd is a great place to work
Runner (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD5 November 2018
I was at Grill'd for around 3 years, the pay was ok but the culture was fantastic. I lived off burgers the entire 3 years I worked there. If you work more than 5 hours on a shift you get a free burger which is great.
Pros
half price meals all the time
Cons
pay
I wish I had known...
Team Member (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD4 November 2018
I just moved out of home and to Brisbane a month ago. I desperately needed a job in order to pay all of my bills and my steep rent. I got the Grill’d job within a week and had to attend a 3 hour job interview, 3 hour induction and an hour orientation before I’d even begun work. At the interview, I openly asked for the hourly rate for an 18 year old. They said it would be on the board at the end, but it was not. At my orientation, I asked again for my hourly rate (as I need to be making at least $18 an hour for an appropriate rate) and the question was dodged again. On my first day I asked a co-worker (who, crazily enough, was resigning that day) what the pay was and I was told I’d get $14.50 an hour which is WAY too low for day to day costs when living out of home. I was thrown straight on, which I liked, and had mastered two stations by the end of my first shift. The next shift, they told me I had been trained by “stupid people” and the way I did things was “stupid” so they trained me ALL over again. The outcome was the same. It was unrewarding work, especially for how low we are being paid. In the week I worked there before I looked for another job, 2 co-workers quit (3 including myself). In conclusion, I feel Grill’d wasn’t completely honest with us. For the 7 unpaid hours of prep. we had to complete before even entering the kitchen, they should have acknowledged these issues; pay this low for an adult and the fact that we are paid normal rates on Saturday and Sundays are unacceptable.
Pros
Free Burgers (I suppose)
Cons
Awful Pay + NO WEEKEND RATES
great workplace, people are amazing, stressful
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tweed Heads South NSW4 November 2018
Grill'd is a great place to get your foot in the door of the hospitality industry. you get relatively decent hours and good pay. it's a great first-time job but can get very stressful. the hours are long and busy periods are crazy
Fun but stressful..
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Queensland21 October 2018
Working at Grill'd really helped develop my skills and challenged me. Super flexible, not the best pay but great benefits. Team members are kind and friendly, you make friends really fast. Management were great but could be improved as with many other jobs. Also be prepared for a very stressful environment a majority of the time.
Pros
Benefits, Friendships, Flexible
Cons
Stressful
Poor management coming from the top
Head office (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 October 2018
I was taken for granted and ever recognised for my hard work with promotion or financial remuneration. In almost two years I went from a small role to so much more than I was hired to do and was taken for granted massively. Promised the world with no delivery. Horrible culture in the head office and a hierarchy that is detrimental to everyone and their career and personal development. Plus how they treat their restaurant staff is a disgrace.
Pros
Job security, com
Cons
Poor pay, terrible management, zero recognition
Productive, fun and outgoing staff.
Team member (Former Employee) –  Victoria Point QLD24 September 2018
This job was always busy. I learnt lots of life long skills that I am able to use in my everyday life. The staff were very friendly and all worked together as a team to produce the best overall outcome for our customers. All food was made with pride and was always presented to the best satisfaction possible. I learnt how to become more confident in speaking to customers, how to handle money situations and use my skills. If there was ever a problem the company would respond. I was able to have holidays whenever I needed which fit in with my study life perfectly. The hardest part of the job was when everything became busy when it wasnt expected and ingredients ran out.
Pros
Lovely Staff
Cons
Low pay on weekend work
Fun environment and people to work alongside
Team Member (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Balaclava VIC15 September 2018
Great atmosphere and staff are generally people with interesting and likeminded personalities
Company takes great care in its trainee ship, you'll be training for a certificate 3 in hospitality (if you've not got one already) during your employment which the company pays for. Hourly shifts increase after trainee ship is completed, generally takes 6 months however it is subjective and you'll need to seek your manager about approving it.
Pros
free meal with 5+ hour shifts, 50% discount in every store up to $14
Cons
pay is minimum until trainee ship is completed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grill'd Healthy Burgers. Our community is ready to answer.