Grill'd Healthy Burgers Employee Reviews

Fun but stressful..
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Queensland21 October 2018
Working at Grill'd really helped develop my skills and challenged me. Super flexible, not the best pay but great benefits. Team members are kind and friendly, you make friends really fast. Management were great but could be improved as with many other jobs. Also be prepared for a very stressful environment a majority of the time.
Pros
Benefits, Friendships, Flexible
Cons
Stressful
Poor management coming from the top
Head office (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 October 2018
I was taken for granted and ever recognised for my hard work with promotion or financial remuneration. In almost two years I went from a small role to so much more than I was hired to do and was taken for granted massively. Promised the world with no delivery. Horrible culture in the head office and a hierarchy that is detrimental to everyone and their career and personal development. Plus how they treat their restaurant staff is a disgrace.
Pros
Job security, com
Cons
Poor pay, terrible management, zero recognition
Good work environment and friendly staff
cook, waiter (Former Employee) –  Yarraville VIC13 June 2018
Management were fair and responsible and rosters were released weekly to allow flexibility. Benefits included a discount on the menu and upon working more than 5 hours the employee was given a free meal.
Pros
Good workplace culture
Cons
Minimum wage
just your average run down.
TM (Current Employee) –  Australia16 February 2018
Where do I begin...

Pay - Pay was never outstanding with Grill'd, that was provided they actually approved your shift so that you were paid for it.

Culture - Sure, they have great benefits, work parties and all the good things. But is it worth it? personal opinion, no. The clicks within grill'd (which are going to be a part of any work place) were toxic, making it impossible to work with specific members of staff. work place bullying was never dealt with.

Management - Maybe I just had a bad batch, but the management team were all over the place. One of which was involved in the spreading of many of the rumours which ruined the workplace for a many number of people which were effected by them.

Gril'd was great whilst I was at uni, but now that I've experienced other work places since being hired there, I've learnt that not all work places are somewhere you should dread going to just to make minimum wage just to be sworn at by customers on a regular basis and to add to it, angry managers because their service times are too high.
Cons
long/short hours with little pay.
You will learn fantastic life skills
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  GRILLD2 June 2018
A challenging but rewarding company to work for, you meet a lot of lovely people and grow friendships along the way. Lot of benefits and room to go, a massive support network. Great company to learn from
Pros
The people
Cons
Too much to do, Not enough time
Great team =great day. Bad team = Bad day.
Team Member (Casual) (Former Employee) –  South Bank QLD7 November 2018
I was lucky to work with a great team in a large store in Brisbane.
The hours were very flexible and worked well with being a uni student.

However the store was poorly managed with a high turnover of Restaurant Managers. Many whom picked favourites for shifts. Would expect overtime from most staff and or split shifts. Most managers were just unpleasant to work with. But under the right management this store would be amazing.

The pay was under the minimum wage for my age, they got around this by making it mandatory for all staff to sign up to a Cert II in Hospitality. There was no support ever given to complete this.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor Management
Fun workplace with similarly aged and like minded people
staff (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW25 August 2018
- good working relationship with other team members - able to have fun but still work hard to meet high standards
- Management was always flexible and easily approachable but also respectable
- learned how to professionally waitress, use the till and prepare fast food
- support from management when there were difficult customers
Pros
free lunches and good hours
Cons
difficult customers
Productive, fun and outgoing staff.
Team member (Former Employee) –  Victoria Point QLD24 September 2018
This job was always busy. I learnt lots of life long skills that I am able to use in my everyday life. The staff were very friendly and all worked together as a team to produce the best overall outcome for our customers. All food was made with pride and was always presented to the best satisfaction possible. I learnt how to become more confident in speaking to customers, how to handle money situations and use my skills. If there was ever a problem the company would respond. I was able to have holidays whenever I needed which fit in with my study life perfectly. The hardest part of the job was when everything became busy when it wasnt expected and ingredients ran out.
Pros
Lovely Staff
Cons
Low pay on weekend work
Not a fun place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD20 June 2018
Working at Grill'd was not an experience I enjoyed. The people were very cliquey and were not welcoming to new-comers. The management had rules set out for both managers and team members but the managers did not follow these rules. On one occasion a manager was caught breaking an important rule - one which would result in termination or severe disciplinary action - when another manager was notified of the rule break the team members hours were completely cut and then treated with no respect. Male employees were expected to do any manual work such as pushing a trolley of drinks or removing crates. Adequate first aid was not given when required and team members were unfairly accused of different things, including hair in the food, by gender.
Pros
Cheap meals
Cons
Bad environment and management
Fun environment and people to work alongside
Team Member (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Balaclava VIC15 September 2018
Great atmosphere and staff are generally people with interesting and likeminded personalities
Company takes great care in its trainee ship, you'll be training for a certificate 3 in hospitality (if you've not got one already) during your employment which the company pays for. Hourly shifts increase after trainee ship is completed, generally takes 6 months however it is subjective and you'll need to seek your manager about approving it.
Pros
free meal with 5+ hour shifts, 50% discount in every store up to $14
Cons
pay is minimum until trainee ship is completed
Grill'd Healthy Burgers!
SENIOR TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Southern Cross VIC19 November 2018
On a daily basis would include interaction with customers and the team, Food preparation and cash register management.

Working here is great as the team members are lovely and you get to learn many things from everyone there.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shifts are fixed
great workplace, people are amazing, stressful
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tweed Heads South NSW4 November 2018
Grill'd is a great place to get your foot in the door of the hospitality industry. you get relatively decent hours and good pay. it's a great first-time job but can get very stressful. the hours are long and busy periods are crazy
Absolutely terrible management
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD30 November 2018
The franchisee was hopeless. I was absolutely appalled at how the staff were treated. I was hired as a team leader, yet told to not tell anyone as it "may offend some people". This wouldn't have been an issue, had it not been for the problems I then faced. I was told to "fix employee morale", "get people to work harder" and "pull people into line". I tried doing this in a friendly way, but was seen as an intruder. I was "just the new girl".

I watched the franchisee reprimand and put immense pressure on other TL's due to poor staffing choices, yet coddle the staff who were creating issues. Staff who turned up late, swore and screamed at other staff, refused to listen to TL's, refused to do their jobs, etc, were all told what a great job they were doing. The TL's would then be reprimanded for the staff behaving that way. When myself and other TL's asked for a bit of support and not to be undermined when trying to manage staff, the franchisee would make false promises.

I busted the franchisee lying about disciplinary action. He would tell members of staff they were "on official warnings", but when no one else was around, he would tell them not to worry about it and he was only doing it to appease other staff.

The staff turnover was ridiculous. In the 6 weeks I was there, I was the 4th person to leave, another 5 or so staff had been hired and yet, the same 3 people were always the ones who ended up being called in. These same people who continually be threatened with their jobs, be told they were "letting the team down" and treated poorly.
One staff member in particular
  more... had been called in 6 or more times in a 2 week period, working multiple splits, huge days, stayed back almost every day, covered for just about everyone and when her brother went missing and serious concerns were held for his safety, she needed to take the day off. She was reprimanded for it heavily and the franchisee openly criticized her to the other staff while she was out looking for her brother.

The franchisee told me on more than one occasion that the best way to get people in line was to turn them on each other. So if anyone was unable to come to work, no matter what the reason, he would encourage the team to hate on them for it.

The franchisee also threatened to fire anyone who took a second job, even if they were only making $200-300pw.
Pros
Fast-paced environment, great training program
Cons
Toxic work environment, poor management
Grill'd is a great place to work
Runner (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD5 November 2018
I was at Grill'd for around 3 years, the pay was ok but the culture was fantastic. I lived off burgers the entire 3 years I worked there. If you work more than 5 hours on a shift you get a free burger which is great.
Pros
half price meals all the time
Cons
pay
Fast paced but fun environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Moonee Ponds VIC26 December 2017
I worked at Grill'd for a few years. There was great training involved and the team ended up feeling like family. Although it was sometimes extremely fast paced and stressful, the team worked together so well and always encouraged one another
Pros
Salary
Cons
Dirty work conditions
I wish I had known...
Team Member (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD4 November 2018
I just moved out of home and to Brisbane a month ago. I desperately needed a job in order to pay all of my bills and my steep rent. I got the Grill’d job within a week and had to attend a 3 hour job interview, 3 hour induction and an hour orientation before I’d even begun work. At the interview, I openly asked for the hourly rate for an 18 year old. They said it would be on the board at the end, but it was not. At my orientation, I asked again for my hourly rate (as I need to be making at least $18 an hour for an appropriate rate) and the question was dodged again. On my first day I asked a co-worker (who, crazily enough, was resigning that day) what the pay was and I was told I’d get $14.50 an hour which is WAY too low for day to day costs when living out of home. I was thrown straight on, which I liked, and had mastered two stations by the end of my first shift. The next shift, they told me I had been trained by “stupid people” and the way I did things was “stupid” so they trained me ALL over again. The outcome was the same. It was unrewarding work, especially for how low we are being paid. In the week I worked there before I looked for another job, 2 co-workers quit (3 including myself). In conclusion, I feel Grill’d wasn’t completely honest with us. For the 7 unpaid hours of prep. we had to complete before even entering the kitchen, they should have acknowledged these issues; pay this low for an adult and the fact that we are paid normal rates on Saturday and Sundays are unacceptable.
Pros
Free Burgers (I suppose)
Cons
Awful Pay + NO WEEKEND RATES
fun environment with the other staff members
Team Member (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Pacific Fair Shopping Centre QLD13 June 2016
I learned how to make peoples food in a short time but also giving them the satisfaction of it being made to perfection.
I found the management system very hard to come by as they were not organised and lacked work ethic.
I got along with my co-workers very well and we did a lot of outside activities together.
The hardest part was probably never knowing what week you would be working and what week you would not be working.
I loved the feedback and the praise the customers gave you when leaving after their meal.
Pros
free food every five hours
Cons
no hours, one week work one week no work
An okay place to work
Team Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC31 July 2018
The pay is sad and unmotivating, Grill'd requires you to under go a "traineeship" which allows them to underpay you and get away with it. overall not a great or inspiring place to work.
Productive and fun workplace
Waitress and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 June 2018
A well-known restaurant originally established in Melbourne city and branched throughout Australia serving authentic, hand-made burgers and salads. Working hours 22 hours per week.
Pros
lunches
Productive and dynamic but incredibly poor salary
Part-time Team Member (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT31 July 2017
Job was hard and confusing and had an incredibly poor salary. The bonus 'Cert III in Hospitality' was never pushed and rarely completed. Very disagreeable company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grill'd Healthy Burgers. Our community is ready to answer.