Guzman Y Gomez
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Guzman Y Gomez Job Security & Advancement reviews

After working with the company for over 2 years and building my way up the management ladder becoming a shift leader meant so much to me but not everyone would do what they’re supposed to in the management loop and it was the biggest downfall to where I left that company and I tell everyone it’s a good job while your in school that’s it I wouldn’t recommend working for them out of school
Ha sido una experiencia muy enriquecedora, he aprendido y me han valorado mucho
Management is absolutely horrific and ruined the work environment. Little to no care about employees and borderline abusive. Constant bullying and harassment from management, multiple threats of resignation, late pay almost always, unreasonable requests and hours as well as multiple last minute calls. Many employees were fired without reason or warning and under unfair circumstances. Disorganised and little training for new employees. Only redeeming qualities of the job was the culture and the friendly people there who are all in the same boat as you. Definitely one of the worst workplace experiences in my life, hope there are some changes to management as that is no way to treat employees.
Pros
Staff discounts, lax uniform
Cons
Abusive management, Unreasonable requests, low salary
I found my experience at GYG fun and action packed. It was a great way for me to break into the hospitality industry and I had a great time working there.
It was certainly a very very very stressful work place to be in , it was way to small for the amount of workers . Staff were unkind a lot and pushed you way over your limit .
Working at GYG was a fun high paced environment. I met a lot of really nice people and it made me look forward to going to work. For a first job I gained a lot of useful skills that I still have with me now.
Management takes advantage of all their employees! Don't even bother working if you're part-time, the pay is ridiculously low! Restaurant managers are so rude and condescending. They can make so many mistakes, have multiple people complain about them but are weirdly protected by people higher up. Yet if a team member messes up once, they get a written warning and soon after, fired. I honestly hate coming into work
Pros
Cons
Management, low pay, shifts being changed hours before start
Working at GyG was an enjoyable experience, allowing me to have an even work/ life balance, however a bit more staff training could have been provided by the managers and team leaders rather than most training via an online programme. There were many young people like myself who were still at school and learning how to work and not much guidance to how the business wanted us to work was given nor known. All in general, I have learnt many new skills and have grown individually within the working experience.
I worked here part time over a period of 5 months. At the beginning of my time here i found it easy work with a positive work environment. Around 4 months in the work environment became disorganised and toxic because of the unpleasant store owners and management. Having one of the store owners call me and swear at me over the phone because she found out i applied for a second job was very unpleasant for myself and unprofessional. When i expressed my disappointment to a team leader, the owner than continued on to accuse me of fabricating this whole situation. After this incident my hours got cut drastically and i decided to quit because i constantly was working in an environment i no longer felt comfortable in.
Pros
Easily accessible location
Cons
Toxic management and store owners
it was a new experience, the work atmosphere wasn't great. the supervisors were rude. I was trained poorly and made to feel inferior. the communication wasn't so good
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Guzman Y Gomez?
The company in general is a great company with focuses on culture, employee wellbeing and advancement. There are great opportunities for personal and professional growth. Working for company owned stores is better. GYG has a core set of values company sticks by and one is got your back and if you work hard and make results the company has absolutely got your back.
Pros
Employee discount, growth opportunities, experience Latin culture, work in a friendly enviornment
Cons
Christmas period availability, employee expectations (dependent on store)
working here i learnt a great deal of skills which are included on my resume. i highly recommend anyone to apply for gyg as its a great stepping stone into customer service industry.
Very busy restaurant where everybody, when it was necessary, shared the tasks, including the manager and the owner. I have learnt a lot working there.. such a good experience!
Good place to work at the beginning, since i arrived melbourne this company offer me the opportunity to survive. Good place to learn different skills .
good
good
Always fearing you'll be fired or have your hours cut. 7 times out of 10 the people are awesome to work with, but those other 3 times your really judge the managers and company on how they could make such mistakes and missteps. Food safety is a concern on paper but isn't practiced, and staff turnover is so high there is no consistency in the food or management of the business in general. Great place to start, and learn what not to do, don't stay longer then a year.
Pros
Workmates
Cons
Workmates
It is a good place to work for a determinate time, there are no many opportunities to make a career . Nice and friendly environment, they provide all training,opportunities to travel around Australia and overseas.
Pros
Staff Meal, pay breaks
Cons
Long shifts no enough crew per shift
My time working at Guzman Y Gomez was a great experience as I learnt so much and met so many great people. I would work there again if I was offered a position.
next to no job security involved. positive working conditions but mangers sometime failed to follow through with basic tasks
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours, little pay