Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

H&M Employee Reviews

Australia59 reviews
really nice place to work at. The working culture is really friendly and relaxed, however you still need to put effort in order to provide the best customer service.
Pros
Relaxed Environment
Manager was not nice at all. She treated me very badly. There were numerous Health & Safety issues involving me & they ignored me. Manager would watch on CC tv how many time I went to the bathroom.
Whenever there was nothing to do they where pushing people to "pretend to be busy" making us just "touching" clothes while we could be doing something more interesting like talkint to customers
Very enjoyable
Great progression

Very good training framework

Workplace Culture

Very Diverse

Very Open minded

Great support network

Very Motivational

Keeps upto date with current trends in the Market
Learnt alot about customer service, especially how to handle and deal with customers in a fast paced environment. Learnt how to work in a team and how to take responsibility. The people working were great and it was always fun.
Very well managed work place and treats it’s workers fairly. They’re very flexible with their employees which made my work, life balance very satisfactory.
Just wish I had more hours, but great salary and all work mates have open communication from management to sales assistants on the floor. We get public appreciation notes when we do a good job
It was an amazing experience for me to work at H&M. Flexible and no pressure. Got a lot of friends from different culture and it was fun. Really enjoy to work at H&M
H&M is a great place to work. Management are supportive and the training you get is excellent. Theres usually loads to do which makes your day go quickly but it isn't a stressful environment.
Loved working at HM. Group interviews / training that are in depth and fun. Staff are so friendly and work as one team. Managers don’t get mad when u make a mistake but help you out and show you how you can improve. Hours are great, especially over the Christmas period. You can wear whatever you like, as long as it is not branded. 25% staff discount and great sales. Would recommend working here.
Pros
Long Break Times. Discounts. Staff/Management. Job Growth.
Cons
Only took on a selected amount of part/full timers
It does not matter what you put on your availability, they will still roster you on days that you are unavailable. You might be unavailable due to other commitments such as studies or children - it does not matter. H&M will roster you, regardless of a clearly written document stating when you are available.
They will penalise you for not going to work when you clearly let them know that you were not available. Management would often have time off during peak periods, leaving other staff to pick up the slack without any compensation for undertaking a managerial role.
I loved working at H&M, due to the culture, uplifting environment and more than friendly and welcoming staff and management. The culture promotes teamwork strongly.
Pros
Fair wage, opportunities for progression, the team
They will hire you
Use you to help set up store

Then not give you shifts

Management treat you like dirt

You don’t get any opportunities unless your a teachers pet
Daily duties include tidying and maintaining the store floor, stock replenishing, customer service, cash management and stock process.

Working with a team of sales assistants would be fun at times with a young and energetic team. Honestly, there were a lot of good times when i first started working at the company. However as a year went by, management had a drastic change and it all went sideways. Management seems to strip workers of their freedom to speak freely with coworkers whilst working, even a simple greeting to one another whilst performing our duties would be given a stern instruction from managers to get back to work. Managers like to exercise their authority to tell you to do pointless things just so that you would not be able to catch your breath. They provide feedback, however its seldom positive as they seem to harp on the minor negatives in your performance, this really makes you feel like your efforts have not been appreciated. I believe this may not be the case for every H&M branch, but this was my experience at the end of my position at the Melbourne GPO branch.
It was a pleasure working with HM is an international brand, of great popularity, which opens a number of doors in the world for future commercial work.
Large organization, fun work place get the opportunity to meet new team members and also travel interstate! Great way to start up your sales career in retail
MY team is really friendly, also we have an amazing DM who guides us to do various work. I have been working here for almost two years and I am quite happy.
Tydliga och roliga arbetsuppgifter, framåtsträvande kollegor
At the beginning it is all exciting and new but you will see things in the store that happen alot.

It is like your back in high school. People treat you like garbage. They break promises. There is also no development growth.
This company is one of the most vile and horrible workplaces I have ever had the misfortune of working for. In particular the Australian arm of H&M is unprofessional, unsupportive and fosters a culture of workplace bullying.

To the next department managers and visual merchandisers of the Adelaide store be very wary before applying, there is a disturbing level of intimidation by upper management that included foul language, spying on staff, random intrusive locker searches through your personal belongings, extreme micromanagement and very intrusive interviews after a sick day where you are asked what your symptoms were, what did your doctor say and if/what they prescribed. You will feel too intimidated not to answer these questions despite it being a complete breach of your privacy. These are done to make staff feel too intimidated to take their sick days.

I raised all these issues to a HR representative, the area team who all put down this store managers behaviour as a ‘personality clash’ and did nothing to protect staff despite that fact that they had voiced that they felt unsafe, intimidated and bullied. They insisted that his behaviour was not a form of bullying but rather part of his ‘driven’ management style.

This company does not care about its people, it is run by extremely unqualified people who rose up in the company simply because they stuck around long enough and knew the right people in head office but don’t have any formal training or qualifications in management, effective communication, leadership or empathy.
Pros
Excellent initial training
Cons
Bad company culture
It was great working for a giant retail company in a fast-pace environment.
Management team is OK in overall, some of them were lack of experience but got promoted for their hardworking.