Hanson

Australia36 reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

Great workplace.

Featured review

Hanson selected this as a representative review
What can I say, WOW!. Management team (includ. Supervisors, leading hands & etc-) will definitely try their best to help you out with anything to do with the job and also are very approachable. The staff are down to earth and willing to help you out anytime if your having trouble with a task, especially if your new to the job, and also a very diverse culture. Great workplace as a driver you’ll be on your own most of the time, but don’t fret you’ll be given numbers for the appropriate contacts if you need help (All Provided as you are trained). Lastly don’t be afraid to ask anything about if your unsure about something. Just adding if it wasn’t for my family reasons I’d still be working at Hansons.

Pros

Often have team tool box meetings, keeping up with safety really good to keep everyone updated with the latest info, also company provides full uniform, and safety equipment required for the job

Cons

Some jobs are not for everyone in saying that it is “Long Hours”

Decent culture. But roles are a bit too generalized.

The culture in the office is pretty typical of what you would expect for a company with a large population of middle aged workers. Don' expect any of this "startup" culture "work is your family" kind of thing. Many 9-5ers who on occasion might join a for a Friday night drink.The culture on site among the trades people etc is pretty typical too. Generally I have found them easy to work with.Good culture of safety and keeping people safe.They are very generous with company vehicles if your role has one. They are not tracked generally and normal private use is accepted. Including tolls, petrol and parking if you word in the office. However, the culture is very much focused on internal in house solutions. So everyone ends up being a bit of a generalist. Meaning it can be difficult to feel like you're doing a gold job, and becoming highly skilled in one area. This might not be a negative of that's something you like.There's always something urgent to be done, so the important things never get done. In house graduates are favoured for career advancement, so if you're not part of the old boys and girls graduate club, good luck rising through the ranks.

Pros

Genarous company car policies, Good culture of safety

Cons

Poor project management standards across the company, Favoritism toward former Grads for advancement

Challenging place but fun

I’ve been working at Hanson for quite some time now. The culture and people are great particularly those who have been with the organisation for years. Overall a good place to work however you will meet some bad tomatoes every now and then.

Great culture and good people

Since joining Hanson I have found everyone to be very friendly and inclusive. My team are very supportive and enjoy each other's company.Management are open to new ideas and support independent thinking.

Working with Hanson was a joke.

Working at Hanson for the first week it was alright until they showed their true colours. I was discriminated, sexually abused and bullied. They have done nothing about the situations.

Very poor

If you want to work in the Central West, find another employer. A long history of ripping off it's employees & sub-contractors. Made even worse in the Central West where the company has shown that they are incapable of sustaining middle level management, resulting in rogue plant managers.

Pros

WHS sytems are in place.

Cons

They dont comply with WHSR requirements, you need to check your pay as they often get caught out underpaying, the staff turn over level is ludicrous, Plant Managers bonus comes first so fraudulent and at risk behahour is common.

Disgusting workplace ...swearbox ...no training

Toxic arrogant environment ...lack of training .. Worst organisation I have ever worked for ...team leaders bullies...undefined duties and expectations with position advertised and interview

Good days

I have worked at Hanson and would anytime go back to this place to work again. Perfect life balance . Great staff and management. Good working environment.

Stressful and difficult place to work

Job was very stressful, management was not supportive and redundancy was handled appallingly. Not supportive of women in the workforce, particularly those with growing families.

Play your cards close to your chest

Snake pit at its best , starting from power tripping in experienced Plant Managers right through to upper management, no communication or effort towards employee's , employee's get blamed for bad management culture. No career progression, new jobs given to Uni interns to save money , no benefits what so ever.

Easy

I enjoyed working for hanson because I was paid thousands of dollars a week to work in the mines. And only descent people stayed so I enjoyed it very much

Pros

Made good money and the people were easy to get on with

Cons

4 weeks away from home

Treated like a number!

At Hanson I was treated like a number, not a person. There is an us and them mentality promoted by management! I was the victim of workplace bullying by a manager who had a reputation for it.

Production and logistics focused business

Keeping mixes in the system current so the logistics of the batch plants run for all orders from as early as 5 am when problems can arise. Providing mix designs for internal sales from the Call Centre and from external sales. On site review of concrete mixes together with the customer, plus review of completed jobs when requested. Management of the suite of mixes in the system to ensure they are consistent with any material and job changes occurring. The culture is a can do culture.

work for hansens

WHEN MANAGEMENT IS ASKED A QUESTION A STRAIGHT ANSWER CAN NOT BE GIVERN. they pass the buck. no advancement is given when with in the origination, if you do your job safely and courteously, they cut your hours back till you have to find another job to supplement income, they want you to work with 1hrs notice before you start and as soon as the job is done no time to clean vehicles and you are accused that your vehicle is not cleaned

Pros

not much free time between deliverys

Cons

not much notice to work

Terrible managment

Waiste of time if you have half a brain. Manager lies, steals. Gets caught fired, which is good. New manager is a complete idiot with out a clue. Hanson head office really are full of idiots.

Good money, poor management

Allocators don't know what they're doing. Send you all around Syd Metro when there is work around the corner and get another driver from over 30km away to do jobs in your local area. Poor management.

Fun workplace. Culture wise very good

Most fun place to work in a long time. Own space to work in your own corner. Meeting new drivers and going through safety basis and procedures. Best part was i can walk all day and still feel relaxed

Pros

Free walking . Good exercise

Cons

Issue with going to the washroom

Been good to me for many years.

Offer many rolls and opportunities,been good for me over the years,can’t complain.also provide opportunities interstate as well as across the globe,recommended.

Great place to work, customers are pretty good as well

Productive workplace where I added to my skills. I was trained in the testing lab and had to learn how to deal with construction based customers, delegate testing jobs for clients, enter relevant data, invoice for testing, create purchase orders, order stock for the office and lab, as well as managing the office and phones. It was a great place to work, friendly and outgoing people. Management were always there to help with any issues and to help if needed. The hardest part of my job was being made redundant, through no fault of myself or Hanson. Saying goodbye to friends was hard, but I've managed to keep in contact with most of them.

Pros

A fun workplace, lots of training & information days

Cons

Sometimes upper management could be less than helpful

Great company to work for.

Great company to work for. You have to love the job as you normally spend a lot of time there. Over time is good and you can expect to be paid on time every week...

Truck driver

Company itself ok but management clash with each other, they make it hard to grow and transfer. Money ok but not enough hours in the concrete section.

Pros

Big compony

Cons

If working sat need more than 4 hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hanson. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Hanson with

• Hanson
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?