Harvey Norman Employee Reviews

good mix of staff
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba, Qld, AU30 November 2018
good staff. very busy store over xmas period which made an exciting environment to work in. online training available to prep you for new and present products.
Stable Retail
AV/IT Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Kennedy WA28 November 2018
Working at the port kennedy store was brilliant. I moved to the Mandurah store which was still good, but not great. Cashiering can be quite boring unless its super busy so thats where harvey norman could utilise their staff a bit more by having them attend to admin job between customers.
Former Employee, Electronics department, Bennetts Green
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bennetts Green NSW23 November 2018
Condescending and arrogant Franchise. Who expected the world from his employees with little to no appreciation or reward for your efforts.

Need a day off ? Don't even think about it.
Call in sick? Good luck
Want to work overtime without being asked? You got it
Weekend Rates? Mate your dreaming
Decent Commission? If their is a sale and its below a certain profit percentage you literally have commission deducted from you.

To recap, if you love being spoken down to, have no life outside of work, enjoy working hard to rarely make upwards of $5 in commission on a single purchase, than this is the job for you!
Pros
You can earn upwards of 55k and thats about it which isnt bad for a retail job, its a simple minded job, get to talk to people.
Cons
Management are rude and simple minded, weekend work, no time off throughout chrissy period, work public holidays, in comparison to other ''Sales" jobs the pay is terrible
fun place
Assistant technician (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU13 November 2018
I loved working for Harvey Norman, mainly because I was able to learn so much from their experienced staff who constantly poured their inspiration within me. And i would proudly say that i once worked their.
I have had many jobs but I love harvey norman
2IC Manager and Sales Specials in Bedding (Former Employee) –  Rothwell QLD and Gunnadah NSW11 November 2018
I have had many experiences with harvey Norman, from being a Sale Specialist in the Bedding department, to Managing an Electrical Computer Store in a Small country town. I believe Harvey Norman is an amazing company in the way it looks after it's ppl. If you really want to make money, in Sales then Harvey Norman is the way to go. You get out of it what you put in, if you want a 9 to 5 Job, then Harvey Norman is not for you. It is busy, and you have to learn your stuff, the Harvey Norman way. I would love to be able to work at Harvey Norman again but due to illness I have retired very early. If Customer Services is for you Harvey Norman is a great place to start as you really can build a great business for your self with HN, and even Travel overseas to work in their other stores.
Pros
Great Income, Stable Enployment, Career building, Travel.
Cons
7 days a week operation, but I don't really think it's a con, as that weekends are when you make your Money.😁
this place sucks
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 November 2018
Harvey Naorman expects a lot but gives nothing in return. The Managers get all the perks and treat their staff like idiots. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
there is none
Cons
Management suck
Great
Warehouse Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Taren Point NSW28 October 2018
Been here almost a whole year, but since im no longer in the shire I have to change stores or jobs altogether. they pay and provide training and the people are very ncie
productive and a great place to work
Bedding Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Norman, AU20 September 2018
A typical day at work would be general housekeeping, refilling stock, serving customers, chasing up orders. setting up the till in the morning and balancing at night.
wanting to learn about Computer Industry best place to start
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Harvey Norman Gladstone QLD19 September 2018
Fantastic Company to work for, very professional, hard working, organised, great discounts and promotional items, Good finance options. Stock takes were easy to conduct. Product Knowledge is key. Repeat business was our main focus.
Not for honest people
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gepps Cross SA6 September 2018
Unethical business practices at Gepps Cross. As long as you made money for the prop you could lie cheat and steal . Customers complaints every day . Staff fighting between them selves on showroom floor and zero leadership.
Pros
Got paid
Cons
They just don’t care about anything.
Working with different cultures
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU30 August 2018
Harvey Norman our of all the places I’ve worked I’d say was my least favourite. The fact that there wasn’t very many rewards to the employees for good job done to help drive them harder was a big let down.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The management
Supportive and encouraging
Franchisee Flooring (Former Employee) –  Browns Plains QLD18 August 2018
Empowering to be part of a management team that apparecited the ability of its individuals. I was able to learn many spacers of running a flooring company.
Overseas
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Canberra, NSW16 August 2018
Harvey Norman was a company that I worked at when I lived in Australia. This company was very diverse in all the different cultures that were employed in the store. All Around good place to work.
Pros
Diverse culture
Cons
Distance to work from home
challenging and fun to expirence.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sunshine VIC5 August 2018
a typical day at work is, starting off with counting the money in the till to start off the day and printing off paperwork to give to head office. when working here you are able to do different things, you can sit at a desk and do multiple things, such as helping customers with there problems and making invoices or even being able to purchase things. the workplace culture is very multicultural. the hardest part of the day is when there are no customers and it gets really dull and boring. the most important part of the say is being able to see customers satisfied with what they purchased.
Pros
close access to food
Cons
Horrible environment with poor training staff.
Commercial Sales (Former Employee) –  Taren Point NSW2 August 2018
Poor training and constantly thrown into deep end only to be sworn at customers first thing in the morning. To make things worst, co workers are not helpful and always make it seem like a burden when you ask for help. They love to laugh at you for being the runt in the litter.

Everyone around you seems to hate their jobs as they are constantly swearing to themselves, their computer screens and basically anything in the office. Depressing workplace culture everywhere you go. Very negative environment.
Pros
Close to home, good hours
Cons
Rude and/or ignorant co workers, depressing work culture, poor training
Small fun team
2IC/Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  NSW30 July 2018
I worked in a small team, always something to do, management was good, head office always on your back to sell and sell add on's, training nights/new product launches were always fun, overall i enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Incentives, friendly team, discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell, open 7 days
Fantastic place to work
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Emerald13 July 2018
I loved working for Harvey Norman the staff and Management I dealt with where second to none.. I was aloud to build relationships with customers rather than trying to get a fast sale, which I felt gave customers a better experience also built trust between you and them. Most lot of the customers I sold to would come back to the store a request the assistant they had dealt with in the passed, as they felt more comfortable with someone they'd already built a relationship with..
Pros
Didn't feel like work
Competitive Workplace
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Regional Sydney NSW25 June 2018
While it can be great working with customers face-to-face... it can also be highly challenging when you are greeting customers and some immediately get affronted and are rude to you because they assume that you are trying to 'accost' them as soon as they walk in the door.
You will have great team members, but as you work on a base rate + commission there is a large amount of competition where you will find co-workers trying to undermine you by speaking to customers that you are already working with i.e. they will give the customer a lower price than you have quoted them so that they will get the sale rather than you.
Pros
Staff discounts storewide
Cons
Co-workers 'stealing' another staff members customers.
harvey norman
storeman (Former Employee) –  Noarlunga Centre SA and Marion SA5 June 2018
it is a job secure place with the chance of moving up in position does have its benefits of staff price and management are good with family engagements
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
too many too list
Not welcoming of new employees
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Liverpool NSW30 May 2018
A typical day at work - stressful
I learnt a great deal - from banking to accounts payable
Management was very un professional.
The hardest part of the job was trying to fit in, as they are not very welcoming of new employees.
Pros
Experience