Harvey Norman Employee Reviews

productive and a great place to work
Bedding Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Norman, AU20 September 2018
A typical day at work would be general housekeeping, refilling stock, serving customers, chasing up orders. setting up the till in the morning and balancing at night.
Not for honest people
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gepps Cross SA6 September 2018
Unethical business practices at Gepps Cross. As long as you made money for the prop you could lie cheat and steal . Customers complaints every day . Staff fighting between them selves on showroom floor and zero leadership.
Pros
Got paid
Cons
They just don’t care about anything.
Working with different cultures
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU30 August 2018
Harvey Norman our of all the places I’ve worked I’d say was my least favourite. The fact that there wasn’t very many rewards to the employees for good job done to help drive them harder was a big let down.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The management
Supportive and encouraging
Franchisee Flooring (Former Employee) –  Browns Plains QLD18 August 2018
Empowering to be part of a management team that apparecited the ability of its individuals. I was able to learn many spacers of running a flooring company.
Overseas
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Canberra, NSW16 August 2018
Harvey Norman was a company that I worked at when I lived in Australia. This company was very diverse in all the different cultures that were employed in the store. All Around good place to work.
Pros
Diverse culture
Cons
Distance to work from home
challenging and fun to expirence.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sunshine VIC5 August 2018
a typical day at work is, starting off with counting the money in the till to start off the day and printing off paperwork to give to head office. when working here you are able to do different things, you can sit at a desk and do multiple things, such as helping customers with there problems and making invoices or even being able to purchase things. the workplace culture is very multicultural. the hardest part of the day is when there are no customers and it gets really dull and boring. the most important part of the say is being able to see customers satisfied with what they purchased.
Pros
close access to food
Cons
Horrible environment with poor training staff.
Commercial Sales (Former Employee) –  Taren Point NSW2 August 2018
Poor training and constantly thrown into deep end only to be sworn at customers first thing in the morning. To make things worst, co workers are not helpful and always make it seem like a burden when you ask for help. They love to laugh at you for being the runt in the litter.

Everyone around you seems to hate their jobs as they are constantly swearing to themselves, their computer screens and basically anything in the office. Depressing workplace culture everywhere you go. Very negative environment.
Pros
Close to home, good hours
Cons
Rude and/or ignorant co workers, depressing work culture, poor training
Small fun team
2IC/Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  NSW30 July 2018
I worked in a small team, always something to do, management was good, head office always on your back to sell and sell add on's, training nights/new product launches were always fun, overall i enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Incentives, friendly team, discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell, open 7 days
Fantastic place to work
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Emerald13 July 2018
I loved working for Harvey Norman the staff and Management I dealt with where second to none.. I was aloud to build relationships with customers rather than trying to get a fast sale, which I felt gave customers a better experience also built trust between you and them. Most lot of the customers I sold to would come back to the store a request the assistant they had dealt with in the passed, as they felt more comfortable with someone they'd already built a relationship with..
Pros
Didn't feel like work
Competitive Workplace
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Regional Sydney NSW25 June 2018
While it can be great working with customers face-to-face... it can also be highly challenging when you are greeting customers and some immediately get affronted and are rude to you because they assume that you are trying to 'accost' them as soon as they walk in the door.
You will have great team members, but as you work on a base rate + commission there is a large amount of competition where you will find co-workers trying to undermine you by speaking to customers that you are already working with i.e. they will give the customer a lower price than you have quoted them so that they will get the sale rather than you.
Pros
Staff discounts storewide
Cons
Co-workers 'stealing' another staff members customers.
harvey norman
storeman (Former Employee) –  Noarlunga Centre SA and Marion SA5 June 2018
it is a job secure place with the chance of moving up in position does have its benefits of staff price and management are good with family engagements
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
too many too list
Not welcoming of new employees
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Liverpool NSW30 May 2018
A typical day at work - stressful
I learnt a great deal - from banking to accounts payable
Management was very un professional.
The hardest part of the job was trying to fit in, as they are not very welcoming of new employees.
Pros
Experience
Godo place to work
Creditors Clerk (Current Employee) –  Norman, AU15 May 2018
I enjoyed working in the admin office at Harvey norman, but I felt as though I was acknowledged for everything I did. I was taking over responsibilities from my Admin manager but not getting the pay for it. I am moving on as I need to be somewhere I am more happy within myself.
Not Productive, poor management
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bondi Junction NSW10 May 2018
Did a cashier role where they didn’t even know exactly what date you started and therefore didn’t get my extra days of pay. They were so confused that it confused me so I just left it at that. Later realised no I still did work extra days that wasn’t counted in my first pay as it should have as the following week it’s still extra days but only got paid for 5 days. Both franchises seemed like they needed guidance on their jobs. The one I was under didn’t even give me my pay slip till the next week then said it was because he couldn’t find it. Customers come in and most the time there’s no one to help in the sales department then get annoyed as cashiers can’t help sell them anything. Inconsistent, unorganised place. Made me slack off a bit on my job.
Pros
45 min break, some nice staff members
Cons
Can’t sit even though there’s chairs for cashiers, poor management, doesn’t care for staff, bad salary
Harvey Norman
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rothwell QLD25 April 2018
Always on your feet & needing to be ready to serve at any moment but in the down time, there is always cleaning and grooming to do. Great working team, so friendly and chatty.
Once you know all the differences in the items its really easy to get the right products for your customer.
Pros
Great Staff & added bonuses form the reps
Cons
Can get difficult customers
Good pay, no life
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  South Australia24 April 2018
the management is rude, the pay is good, depending on the area.
you feel pressured to go to training nights, even on your RDO's.
you can kiss goodbye a social life, because at the end of the working day, you are exhausted and don't want to see or socialize with people.
slow advance rate. and you are made to feel very small and unimportant to the company.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
lots of unpaid hours.
Friendly small team of office staff
creditors clerk/banking officer (Former Employee) –  Port Macquarie NSW18 April 2018
I enjoyed my time with Harvey Norman and only left to take up a full-time position with another employer.
My time spent with Harvey Norman was both a learning position and a good source of gained experience.
Pros
Family/work balance was always a factor
Cons
Permanent Part-time position
good organisation to work for
Demand Analyst (Current Employee) –  Flemington NSW16 April 2018
good organisation to work for, nice culture, good salary. good management, competitive organisation and lots of potential to grow. works a s team and takes everyone's opinion into consideration
Overall comfortable workplace, excepting occasional difficulties.
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Morwell, VIC16 April 2018
Working for Harvey Norman was perfectly pleasant as far as commission sales positions go. The other employees were helpful and friendly when it came to teaching me how everything worked and supporting me with difficult situations.
It could be a little quiet at times but when business became busy it definitely kept me on my toes and challenged me to be the best salesperson I could.
My largest difficulty was with one particular manager who was installed during my employment (unsure if they have remained in management) who made life difficult for every single one of the employees under them.
Pros
A degree of creative expression i.e. with visual merchandising was lovely.
Cons
Potential competition with the occasionally ruthless colleague.
Enjoyable place to work for a team
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA12 April 2018
Harvey Norman Joondalup does have its pros and cons like any workplace. But as for job security and pay it is definitely one workplace that does have a high turnover.