Harvey Norman Employee Reviews

challenging and fun to expirence.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sunshine VIC5 August 2018
a typical day at work is, starting off with counting the money in the till to start off the day and printing off paperwork to give to head office. when working here you are able to do different things, you can sit at a desk and do multiple things, such as helping customers with there problems and making invoices or even being able to purchase things. the workplace culture is very multicultural. the hardest part of the day is when there are no customers and it gets really dull and boring. the most important part of the say is being able to see customers satisfied with what they purchased.
Pros
close access to food
Former Employee, Electronics department, Bennetts Green
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bennetts Green NSW23 November 2018
Condescending and arrogant Franchise. Who expected the world from his employees with little to no appreciation or reward for your efforts.

Need a day off ? Don't even think about it.
Call in sick? Good luck
Want to work overtime without being asked? You got it
Weekend Rates? Mate your dreaming
Decent Commission? If their is a sale and its below a certain profit percentage you literally have commission deducted from you.

To recap, if you love being spoken down to, have no life outside of work, enjoy working hard to rarely make upwards of $5 in commission on a single purchase, than this is the job for you!
Pros
You can earn upwards of 55k and thats about it which isnt bad for a retail job, its a simple minded job, get to talk to people.
Cons
Management are rude and simple minded, weekend work, no time off throughout chrissy period, work public holidays, in comparison to other ''Sales" jobs the pay is terrible
Depressing place
Computer sales (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC7 December 2018
You can’t have ethics in this department, you must point the customer to the product that give you the most commission.
If a staff allowed a customer to return a product, that stuff would have to pay the loss.
FT - 38 hours any more and you will not be paid extra... that is no time in lieu, no over time, no penalty rates etc. because you earn high commission it’s expected you’ll make more than penalty rates... (lies).
However you are working 48hours a week... therefore one day unpaid..
for a new person this is an absolute joke as you got minimum wage, worked the most hours and got little commission due to knowledge.

No training, expect for an imbecile of a man on a video trying to ‘teach you how to sell’. Thrown into the deep and expected to ‘butterfly’ within the hour.

If resignation notice is handed in within the 6 months of probation, the manager will have a meeting to say you failed probation therefore not having to tell HR why you left...

It is not busy until holidays periods otherwise dead af.
Pros
Sale staff nice, discounts on products
Cons
Unethical, not to fairwork standards, long hours with no pay
Negative culture of toxic proportions.
Customer Service Officer - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Cambridge TAS27 December 2018
Toxic environment with so much disgusting behaviour. Expectations of a person with 4 days training to be able to understand everything. Then gets animated when I was unsure.
Franchisees need to go and do leadership and management training on how to speak to staff.

Staff treated like dirt. No one was honest with the franchisee. I walked and was glad I did.

I would not work for that particular franchisee ever.

Learn some people skills.

However there are many under paid and over worked people in HN.

Step up JH.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Franchisees that have no people skills
I have had many jobs but I love harvey norman
2IC Manager and Sales Specials in Bedding (Former Employee) –  Rothwell QLD and Gunnadah NSW11 November 2018
I have had many experiences with harvey Norman, from being a Sale Specialist in the Bedding department, to Managing an Electrical Computer Store in a Small country town. I believe Harvey Norman is an amazing company in the way it looks after it's ppl. If you really want to make money, in Sales then Harvey Norman is the way to go. You get out of it what you put in, if you want a 9 to 5 Job, then Harvey Norman is not for you. It is busy, and you have to learn your stuff, the Harvey Norman way. I would love to be able to work at Harvey Norman again but due to illness I have retired very early. If Customer Services is for you Harvey Norman is a great place to start as you really can build a great business for your self with HN, and even Travel overseas to work in their other stores.
Pros
Great Income, Stable Enployment, Career building, Travel.
Cons
7 days a week operation, but I don't really think it's a con, as that weekends are when you make your Money.😁
Having a great team makes it easier to work
Part-time Sales - Furniture (Former Employee) –  Midland WA21 February 2019
Each store is different but overall all staff are friendly and are willing to help out. The staff discount are fantastic. If you work hard you are recognised for it. You need to be highly organised and priorities your work as some days can be challenging. But a fantastic company to work for.
Pros
All staff are friendly, staff discounts
Not Productive, poor management
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bondi Junction NSW10 May 2018
Did a cashier role where they didn’t even know exactly what date you started and therefore didn’t get my extra days of pay. They were so confused that it confused me so I just left it at that. Later realised no I still did work extra days that wasn’t counted in my first pay as it should have as the following week it’s still extra days but only got paid for 5 days. Both franchises seemed like they needed guidance on their jobs. The one I was under didn’t even give me my pay slip till the next week then said it was because he couldn’t find it. Customers come in and most the time there’s no one to help in the sales department then get annoyed as cashiers can’t help sell them anything. Inconsistent, unorganised place. Made me slack off a bit on my job.
Pros
45 min break, some nice staff members
Cons
Can’t sit even though there’s chairs for cashiers, poor management, doesn’t care for staff, bad salary
Horrible environment with poor training staff.
Commercial Sales (Former Employee) –  Taren Point NSW2 August 2018
Poor training and constantly thrown into deep end only to be sworn at customers first thing in the morning. To make things worst, co workers are not helpful and always make it seem like a burden when you ask for help. They love to laugh at you for being the runt in the litter.

Everyone around you seems to hate their jobs as they are constantly swearing to themselves, their computer screens and basically anything in the office. Depressing workplace culture everywhere you go. Very negative environment.
Pros
Close to home, good hours
Cons
Rude and/or ignorant co workers, depressing work culture, poor training
Worst Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge TAS18 March 2018
Worked at the Cambridge Park location for a short period.

The bickering between staff over sales & targets created a moody/negative culture within the store.
The term "boys club" springs to mind, most of the existing staff have been in the role for 5+ years and stick together.

An unprofessional mindset from the leaders and franchisee e.g passive aggressive attitude towards employees to meet numbers, team meetings before and after work with no benefits in which most meetings were very negative, putting down staff, peer pressure to do tasks.

Absolutely 0 life balance, working 6 full days per week without benefits. Constant shift changes without adequate notice.

If given the choice to either work for Harvey Norman or take out a campfire with my own face the choice is simple! GET THE FIRE WOOD!
Pros
The state of euphoria you experience when you leave.
Cons
Hard sales. 0 life balance. Angry, rude team/ bad culture.
Encouraging environment and the ability to increase your pay
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 February 2019
A good space to learn about products in an encouraging environment. Benefits such as insentives which encourages you to sell more and therefore receive more money
Pros
Insentives

Want to know more about Harvey Norman?

Ask a question
this place sucks
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 November 2018
Harvey Naorman expects a lot but gives nothing in return. The Managers get all the perks and treat their staff like idiots. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
there is none
Cons
Management suck
good organisation to work for
Demand Analyst (Current Employee) –  Flemington NSW16 April 2018
good organisation to work for, nice culture, good salary. good management, competitive organisation and lots of potential to grow. works a s team and takes everyone's opinion into consideration
Fantastic place to work
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Emerald13 July 2018
I loved working for Harvey Norman the staff and Management I dealt with where second to none.. I was aloud to build relationships with customers rather than trying to get a fast sale, which I felt gave customers a better experience also built trust between you and them. Most lot of the customers I sold to would come back to the store a request the assistant they had dealt with in the passed, as they felt more comfortable with someone they'd already built a relationship with..
Pros
Didn't feel like work
Overseas
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Canberra, NSW16 August 2018
Harvey Norman was a company that I worked at when I lived in Australia. This company was very diverse in all the different cultures that were employed in the store. All Around good place to work.
Pros
Diverse culture
Cons
Distance to work from home
wanting to learn about Computer Industry best place to start
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Harvey Norman Gladstone QLD19 September 2018
Fantastic Company to work for, very professional, hard working, organised, great discounts and promotional items, Good finance options. Stock takes were easy to conduct. Product Knowledge is key. Repeat business was our main focus.
Fun and easy going
Sales and Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn NSW13 March 2018
Fast paced, targets, but no advancement. Weekend work. Long hours all year. working on public holidays.

Overall. Great environment. good if you are a university student and studying full-time to manage time.
Pros
Easy workplace
Cons
Too much pressure and competitive
Working with different cultures
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU30 August 2018
Harvey Norman our of all the places I’ve worked I’d say was my least favourite. The fact that there wasn’t very many rewards to the employees for good job done to help drive them harder was a big let down.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The management
harvey norman
storeman (Former Employee) –  Noarlunga Centre SA and Marion SA5 June 2018
it is a job secure place with the chance of moving up in position does have its benefits of staff price and management are good with family engagements
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
too many too list
Supportive and encouraging
Franchisee Flooring (Former Employee) –  Browns Plains QLD18 August 2018
Empowering to be part of a management team that apparecited the ability of its individuals. I was able to learn many spacers of running a flooring company.
Productive and enjoyable
Photo Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD29 December 2018
the co-workers at Harvey Norman Townsville are very supportive, encouraging individuals. They all assisted in educating me of the skills required to efficiently and correctly perform the tasks required of me to a satisfactory level,
Pros
Supportive Employees and flexible lunch times
Cons
I found no cons in this role. I thoroughly enjoyed myself

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harvey Norman. Our community is ready to answer.