Harvey Norman Employee Reviews

Not Productive, poor management
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bondi Junction NSW10 May 2018
Did a cashier role where they didn’t even know exactly what date you started and therefore didn’t get my extra days of pay. They were so confused that it confused me so I just left it at that. Later realised no I still did work extra days that wasn’t counted in my first pay as it should have as the following week it’s still extra days but only got paid for 5 days. Both franchises seemed like they needed guidance on their jobs. The one I was under didn’t even give me my pay slip till the next week then said it was because he couldn’t find it. Customers come in and most the time there’s no one to help in the sales department then get annoyed as cashiers can’t help sell them anything. Inconsistent, unorganised place. Made me slack off a bit on my job.
Pros
45 min break, some nice staff members
Cons
Can’t sit even though there’s chairs for cashiers, poor management, doesn’t care for staff, bad salary
Harvey Norman
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rothwell QLD25 April 2018
Always on your feet & needing to be ready to serve at any moment but in the down time, there is always cleaning and grooming to do. Great working team, so friendly and chatty.
Once you know all the differences in the items its really easy to get the right products for your customer.
Pros
Great Staff & added bonuses form the reps
Cons
Can get difficult customers
Good pay, no life
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  South Australia24 April 2018
the management is rude, the pay is good, depending on the area.
you feel pressured to go to training nights, even on your RDO's.
you can kiss goodbye a social life, because at the end of the working day, you are exhausted and don't want to see or socialize with people.
slow advance rate. and you are made to feel very small and unimportant to the company.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
lots of unpaid hours.
good organisation to work for
Demand Analyst (Current Employee) –  Flemington NSW16 April 2018
good organisation to work for, nice culture, good salary. good management, competitive organisation and lots of potential to grow. works a s team and takes everyone's opinion into consideration
Overall comfortable workplace, excepting occasional difficulties.
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Morwell, VIC16 April 2018
Working for Harvey Norman was perfectly pleasant as far as commission sales positions go. The other employees were helpful and friendly when it came to teaching me how everything worked and supporting me with difficult situations.
It could be a little quiet at times but when business became busy it definitely kept me on my toes and challenged me to be the best salesperson I could.
My largest difficulty was with one particular manager who was installed during my employment (unsure if they have remained in management) who made life difficult for every single one of the employees under them.
Pros
A degree of creative expression i.e. with visual merchandising was lovely.
Cons
Potential competition with the occasionally ruthless colleague.
Enjoyable place to work for a team
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA12 April 2018
Harvey Norman Joondalup does have its pros and cons like any workplace. But as for job security and pay it is definitely one workplace that does have a high turnover.
fun place to work at
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU9 April 2018
It's a fun place to work at but a lot of expectations as it is a sales role. Must hit KPI's in order to keep your job.
Other then that it is a rewarding and fun environment to work in.
amazing workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Norman, AU2 April 2018
a typical day at work for a cashier insists of handling money doing up paperwork for staff when needed handling faulty products in a reasonable way always greeting customers when they come into the store pointing out to customers where products are and giving advise when needed.

I have learnt that whenever in need the staff are always there and willing to go out of their way to help whenever in doubt.

hardest part of the job is trying to fix up mistakes that other sales people have made during a invoice that has been created and trying to bring stock back that has not been booked out.

the most enjoyable part of working in Harvey norman is great staff meeting new customers everday and rewarding job in the end
Pros
great new experiences and work mates and possible new friends
Narcissistic and passive aggressive
Bedding department (Former Employee) –  Frankston VIC1 April 2018
Narcissistic and passive aggressive sales team that did anything and everything to steal customers shame you on the floor in front of them and humiliate you never know what you're going to walk into on the day of work one time they can be nice and then stab you in the back as soon as you start to achieve something.
Pros
Close to home and having money for living
Cons
Team members.
Worst Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge TAS18 March 2018
Worked at the Cambridge Park location for a short period.

The bickering between staff over sales & targets created a moody/negative culture within the store.
The term "boys club" springs to mind, most of the existing staff have been in the role for 5+ years and stick together.

An unprofessional mindset from the leaders and franchisee e.g passive aggressive attitude towards employees to meet numbers, team meetings before and after work with no benefits in which most meetings were very negative, putting down staff, peer pressure to do tasks.

Absolutely 0 life balance, working 6 full days per week without benefits. Constant shift changes without adequate notice.

If given the choice to either work for Harvey Norman or take out a campfire with my own face the choice is simple! GET THE FIRE WOOD!
Pros
The state of euphoria you experience when you leave.
Cons
Hard sales. 0 life balance. Angry, rude team/ bad culture.
Wonderful brief experience
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 March 2018
every day at work was a an adventure of learning and experience something about retail realm and how business unfolds in areas of retail. Co-workers made the workplace and enjoyable place and i never encountered any unreasonable difficulty
Pros
reasonable hours
Under payed overworked
Enterprise Integration Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 March 2018
Blood from stone is the most accurate analogy.
Always expect the most whist giving the least.
Some great individual people.
Office politics is rampant.
Cons
Long hours expected
Set up to fail
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Castle Hill NSW13 March 2018
They assign you to a position where you can't sell then phase you out when your numbers eventually plummet. Expect very quiet days where you spend all day changing out labels.
Worst place to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traralgon VIC1 March 2018
If you desperate for money go for it but be prepared to be treated like s#!t getting threatened to loose your job. be sure you wont mind loosing your self esteem. Not friendly place to work. EX-EMPLOYEE
Pros
Cons
Long hours no over time unrealistic expectations
fun to work at
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU21 February 2018
Very cool company, I have worked at harvey norman NZ and it was lot of fun, has a work life balance.

Managment was good and supportive and staff was great!
Pros
good staff
Cons
extra hours sometime
Furniture Assembler (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Cannington WA14 February 2018
Opening flat packs and assembling them together was what I'll do everyday. When finished, I'd shift the furniture to the department it belonged to. Clean any remaining rubbish laying around.
Pros
Easy work.
Cons
Share tools with the loaders at the back.
Productive and fun work place
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 February 2018
Great place to work, lots of money to be made, lots of things to learn. Great once your in the company to relocate to other stores within the company.
Pros
Opportunity to make money
Cons
The general public
Work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Everton Park QLD13 February 2018
Always work available and good company to work for if youhave a good franchise

I learn a few different skills etc I have chosen to further my career in a different field now
fun place with pressure
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Burnie TAS25 January 2018
salary/compensation is commission based so sales ability is a must. Staff was fun to work with but management does expect sales and profits so there is a lot of pressure
Great Place.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU22 January 2018
I only worked there for work experience and loved every moment. In the day I would be helping costumers find what they are looking for or stacking shelves. The hardest part of the job was looking for something to do.
Pros
Long Lunch