Harvey Norman
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Harvey Norman Employee Reviews

Featured review
Harvey Norman selected this as a representative review
I have had many experiences with harvey Norman, from being a Sale Specialist in the Bedding department, to Managing an Electrical Computer Store in a Small country town. I believe Harvey Norman is an amazing company in the way it looks after it's ppl. If you really want to make money, in Sales then Harvey Norman is the way to go. You get out of it what you put in, if you want a 9 to 5 Job, then Harvey Norman is not for you. It is busy, and you have to learn your stuff, the Harvey Norman way. I would love to be able to work at Harvey Norman again but due to illness I have retired very early. If Customer Services is for you Harvey Norman is a great place to start as you really can build a great business for your self with HN, and even Travel overseas to work in their other stores.
Pros
Great Income, Stable Enployment, Career building, Travel.
Cons
7 days a week operation, but I don't really think it's a con, as that weekends are when you make your Money.😁
I wouldn't recommend working at HN. I was at the Warehouse offsite from the store. The phone didn't work and got cut off. Staff used own mobiles for business purposes and own vehicles for deliveries and movement of stock between the store and warehouse. No lunch breaks. No support from Management. Not enough staff for the workload which impacted on my position. Management have no contact with staff. I was there a month before the Proprietor visited the warehouse. Went to Fairwork about my final pay. No lunch breaks. Staff spoken at, not spoken to. Everybody had a story to tell me about how they had their jobs threatened.
Pros
End of shift when I got to go home
Cons
No lunch breaks, no WHS, expected to do it online and wasn't relevant to my position
Good for work experience and for young people looking to gain experience.Pay wise for working at Harvey Norman warehouse is at retail rates and not of the warehouse standards
Pros
Disount on purchasing products
Cons
Long hours lots of labour hard work
I am not working at the Store anymore unfortunately due to a medical issue but when I was it was the most fantastic experience I have had for a long time, we had a fantastic team except for one particular member who we all new about and the work culture and conditions were exceptional, I would not fault that Harvey Norman experience in anyway. Work/Life balance was fine, you could make it what you wanted or not what you wanted.
Pros
Fantastic team
Cons
Zero for me.
The commission system does not favour casual workers in any regards, often paid sub-award because you receive incentive payments. These incentives are facades for performance boosts, full timers pawn off bad sales to casuals so you end up remaining under the award so they have to give a monthly top up to ensure they don't violate fair work. When I realised this, the incentive nature of a commission loses all value. The amount of blood, sweat and tears I'd poured into this role just to see that I was being paid the same either way, it opened my eyes. The workplace culture is fake team work and absolute ruthlessness and competition, of course management loves it because it increases GP despite the morale being the most toxic I've ever experienced. I tried my best to get out of sales because I am passionate about the industry and it was a job, but there was no flexibility in the role so I resigned. There's so many more dodgy things that happens within this business, but the bottom line is this isn't worth your effort or energy if you have an ounce of humanity in you, my only exception to this would be if you were friends with the proprietor or offered a full time position and had no other options.
Pros
Product knowledge gained for other jobs
Cons
Toxic culture, casuals are 2nd grade citizens, business structure doesn't favour mental health
What you learned and enjoy day at work, good relationship with customer and suppliers, great manager, and good opportunity to learn and have a carrier.
Pros
Free lunch, Discount
Management involved in stock theft. Their method is to involve you so you will not blow the whistle. If you are honest and will not become involved you are bullied. Unsafe work practices aimed at causing the utmost confusion to conceal the perpetrators. I was injured due to bullying and unsafe work practices and treated as a pariah during work cover claim.
you where told but the props and the management that you are worth nothing that you are useless everyday and how low in life you are you where told how much you where hated by management
Pros
There are none
There is no flexibility as you can't wfh regardless of the situation with covid. The IT project manager is clueless and he doesn't know what he is talking about most of the time. He is confused about the difference between a Project Coordinator and an admin role. They want to find someone they can pay as a Junior while doing a senior job. If you are smarter than them then they will tell you that you are only just an admin.
I typical day at work would be answering phone calls, doing invoices and computer work, helping out customers and paperwork. I learned how to invoice and a lot of computer work. The most enjoyable part of my job was greeting customers and helping them out with what they needed
Wasn't there long enough to comment on the workplace culture, Coronavirus cut my employment short. Great bunch of guys to work with in the Warehouse.. Was sad to have to leave.
Pros
Unknown
Cons
Unknown
Seemingly perfect environment but very competative, stressful and clicky. If youre not in sales you will never recieve above 45000 a year even in if you want to work in administration.
Great team and place to work and lots of avenues for support. Can be stressful in busier periods but as to be expected in retail. Lots of opportunity for growth and potential earnings
The position was only over Christmas period and would have loved to keep working for them. I enjoyed the time I did spent there. Everyone was really friendly.
I was at Taren point Harvey Norman and after 7 ten hour days I was only paid $773 for 70 hours of hard work,and that works out to about $11 an hour and they thought that was acceptable, I didn't and quit, so this place is a total ripoff for the employee,so don't work there.
As a casual worker, it was made obvious that my job was not really a priority. I enjoyed the work that I did there, but being placed alongside full-time employees that saw me as their own revenue raiser (pawning off bad sales), and management who couldn't care less about that it was hard to make a commission.
I love working in a team environment and enjoy helping and serving customers at my work place, I am a very happy and positive person and most of my customers know that about me when they come in to the store, we do have lots of regular customers, I do occasionally get out of my comfort zone and help customers with wanting to purchase an item and are unable to get a salesperson to help. I am looking for another job because the store I am working at is closing and they are not renewing the lease of the building.
I worked in administration mostly doing accounts work doing Debtors and Banking. Management was terrible as was training no support and your basically thrown in the deep end. I was bullied by my Manager and in the end I couldn’t take it. The girls I worked with were nice however no one talked apart from when the Manager left the room. Overall it was not a pleasant experience or work environment.
Pays well if you know how to sell Monster products and extended service policy. Know how to sell audio. Don't get angry at the prop. Come to work hungry for sales commission. And practice darts. Great company if you work for the right prop. Never ever work for prop Dion. Worst lying unfair prop ever. Good in the beginning but he is a wolf.
A typical 9 to 5 job, with weekend hours. I learnt how to deal with customers and external partners to ensure quality service was provided. Having a work-life balance was a struggle due to staffing requirements.
have learnt more about retail whilst working at harvey norman, i get to learn more about retail and the business side of things. some times it can be a little stressful but everyone works together and helps to make it a positive environment i have also made new friends who are very friendly and positive