Harvey Norman Management reviews

Not great for a temp
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 April 2019
Worked in the Head Office in Sydney NSW. Lack of helpfulness from staff and management. 4 new temps were handling complaints about deliveries and when asked for help, it was pushed on to someone else and so forth. The permanent staff there were lazy and unenthusiastic, lack of customer service from their behalf.
productive work
Accounts Payable clerk (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU22 March 2019
its very buzy morning always with the new technique everyday. and management team including 4 team member always ready to help with multicultural enviroment.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
far from home
Awful management and high school antics
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maribyrnong VIC7 March 2019
Worked at Harvey Norman for 2 years and it was fine for a while however it went downhill very quickly. Extremely unprofessional environment, managers choose favourites and do not take staff seriously. No care for employees, no ethics and extreme incidences of unlawful behaviour.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Negative culture of toxic proportions.
Customer Service Officer - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Cambridge TAS27 December 2018
Toxic environment with so much disgusting behaviour. Expectations of a person with 4 days training to be able to understand everything. Then gets animated when I was unsure.
Franchisees need to go and do leadership and management training on how to speak to staff.

Staff treated like dirt. No one was honest with the franchisee. I walked and was glad I did.

I would not work for that particular franchisee ever.

Learn some people skills.

However there are many under paid and over worked people in HN.

Step up JH.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Franchisees that have no people skills
Former Employee, Electronics department, Bennetts Green
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bennetts Green NSW23 November 2018
Condescending and arrogant Franchise. Who expected the world from his employees with little to no appreciation or reward for your efforts.

Need a day off ? Don't even think about it.
Call in sick? Good luck
Want to work overtime without being asked? You got it
Weekend Rates? Mate your dreaming
Decent Commission? If their is a sale and its below a certain profit percentage you literally have commission deducted from you.

To recap, if you love being spoken down to, have no life outside of work, enjoy working hard to rarely make upwards of $5 in commission on a single purchase, than this is the job for you!
Pros
You can earn upwards of 55k and thats about it which isnt bad for a retail job, its a simple minded job, get to talk to people.
Cons
Management are rude and simple minded, weekend work, no time off throughout chrissy period, work public holidays, in comparison to other ''Sales" jobs the pay is terrible
this place sucks
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 November 2018
Harvey Naorman expects a lot but gives nothing in return. The Managers get all the perks and treat their staff like idiots. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
there is none
Cons
Management suck
Not for honest people
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gepps Cross SA6 September 2018
Unethical business practices at Gepps Cross. As long as you made money for the prop you could lie cheat and steal . Customers complaints every day . Staff fighting between them selves on showroom floor and zero leadership.
Pros
Got paid
Cons
They just don’t care about anything.
Working with different cultures
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norman, AU30 August 2018
Harvey Norman our of all the places I’ve worked I’d say was my least favourite. The fact that there wasn’t very many rewards to the employees for good job done to help drive them harder was a big let down.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The management
Supportive and encouraging
Franchisee Flooring (Former Employee) –  Browns Plains QLD18 August 2018
Empowering to be part of a management team that apparecited the ability of its individuals. I was able to learn many spacers of running a flooring company.
Horrible environment with poor training staff.
Commercial Sales (Former Employee) –  Taren Point NSW2 August 2018
Poor training and constantly thrown into deep end only to be sworn at customers first thing in the morning. To make things worst, co workers are not helpful and always make it seem like a burden when you ask for help. They love to laugh at you for being the runt in the litter.

Everyone around you seems to hate their jobs as they are constantly swearing to themselves, their computer screens and basically anything in the office. Depressing workplace culture everywhere you go. Very negative environment.
Pros
Close to home, good hours
Cons
Rude and/or ignorant co workers, depressing work culture, poor training
Small fun team
2IC/Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  NSW30 July 2018
I worked in a small team, always something to do, management was good, head office always on your back to sell and sell add on's, training nights/new product launches were always fun, overall i enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Incentives, friendly team, discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell, open 7 days
Fantastic place to work
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Emerald13 July 2018
I loved working for Harvey Norman the staff and Management I dealt with where second to none.. I was aloud to build relationships with customers rather than trying to get a fast sale, which I felt gave customers a better experience also built trust between you and them. Most lot of the customers I sold to would come back to the store a request the assistant they had dealt with in the passed, as they felt more comfortable with someone they'd already built a relationship with..
Pros
Didn't feel like work
harvey norman
storeman (Former Employee) –  Noarlunga Centre SA and Marion SA5 June 2018
it is a job secure place with the chance of moving up in position does have its benefits of staff price and management are good with family engagements
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
too many too list
Not welcoming of new employees
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Liverpool NSW30 May 2018
A typical day at work - stressful
I learnt a great deal - from banking to accounts payable
Management was very un professional.
The hardest part of the job was trying to fit in, as they are not very welcoming of new employees.
Pros
Experience
Not Productive, poor management
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bondi Junction NSW10 May 2018
Did a cashier role where they didn’t even know exactly what date you started and therefore didn’t get my extra days of pay. They were so confused that it confused me so I just left it at that. Later realised no I still did work extra days that wasn’t counted in my first pay as it should have as the following week it’s still extra days but only got paid for 5 days. Both franchises seemed like they needed guidance on their jobs. The one I was under didn’t even give me my pay slip till the next week then said it was because he couldn’t find it. Customers come in and most the time there’s no one to help in the sales department then get annoyed as cashiers can’t help sell them anything. Inconsistent, unorganised place. Made me slack off a bit on my job.
Pros
45 min break, some nice staff members
Cons
Can’t sit even though there’s chairs for cashiers, poor management, doesn’t care for staff, bad salary
Good pay, no life
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  South Australia24 April 2018
the management is rude, the pay is good, depending on the area.
you feel pressured to go to training nights, even on your RDO's.
you can kiss goodbye a social life, because at the end of the working day, you are exhausted and don't want to see or socialize with people.
slow advance rate. and you are made to feel very small and unimportant to the company.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
lots of unpaid hours.
good organisation to work for
Demand Analyst (Current Employee) –  Flemington NSW16 April 2018
good organisation to work for, nice culture, good salary. good management, competitive organisation and lots of potential to grow. works a s team and takes everyone's opinion into consideration
Overall comfortable workplace, excepting occasional difficulties.
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Morwell, VIC16 April 2018
Working for Harvey Norman was perfectly pleasant as far as commission sales positions go. The other employees were helpful and friendly when it came to teaching me how everything worked and supporting me with difficult situations.
It could be a little quiet at times but when business became busy it definitely kept me on my toes and challenged me to be the best salesperson I could.
My largest difficulty was with one particular manager who was installed during my employment (unsure if they have remained in management) who made life difficult for every single one of the employees under them.
Pros
A degree of creative expression i.e. with visual merchandising was lovely.
Cons
Potential competition with the occasionally ruthless colleague.
Enjoyable place to work for a team
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA12 April 2018
Harvey Norman Joondalup does have its pros and cons like any workplace. But as for job security and pay it is definitely one workplace that does have a high turnover.
Narcissistic and passive aggressive
Bedding department (Former Employee) –  Frankston VIC1 April 2018
Narcissistic and passive aggressive sales team that did anything and everything to steal customers shame you on the floor in front of them and humiliate you never know what you're going to walk into on the day of work one time they can be nice and then stab you in the back as soon as you start to achieve something.
Pros
Close to home and having money for living
Cons
Team members.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harvey Norman. Our community is ready to answer.