Hastings Deering
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Hastings Deering Employee Reviews

Australia54 reviews
Dream job Great environment throughout Work place
Very strict on ppe and guideline for health and safety

Reliable easy training offered where required
Hastings is a very professional and friendly working in a team organisation meeting monthly KPI's. Advanced in computer software and technology. Hastings also puts training, safety and family first. Constantly updating work practices to meet safety requirements. Weekly safety meetings. Plenty of job opportunities and good career progression. Lots of support from upper Management.
Hastings is a big company with big dollars to match the machinery, however after 7 years there, the toxic culture forces people to Leave. Mental health is deemed as being looked after but employees are made feel guilty for taking time off for anything. Sone managers cannot keep staff in their office for longer than 3-6 months hence the depts have no knowledge or experience.
Technology seems to be the major focus, we have so many different programs you can get lost as to what you should be using. There is an internal social media program which I think takes people away from their real jobs.
Pros
Flexible working hours.
Cons
Work hours based on work load.
A better place to learn as an Apprentice and develop your skills while working towards your goals of being the best Heavy Diesel Fitters in the country.
Pros
The job satisfaction and quality of what you put into will give you the job satiisfaction
Cons
The pay system in Hastings PNG is very bad
Worked is based on whatever pre scheduled for next day as required by the customer
I have learned so much about the company itself which is one of the best international setup organisation in the country.And is the only Caterpillar dealer located in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands.
Cons
When participating at hastings deerings i encountered many pros and cons. I personally liked the amount of outgoing personal and the amount of help was given when needed.
Pros
long enough lunches
Cons
alot of safety but that's to be expected
Terrible place to work. Huge divide between management and employees. Employees treated like disposable tools. No loyalty shown to staff. Management allow poor performance and / or poor attitude to go unchanged, resulting in low team morale. Good employees leave or are let go because management can't do their jobs properly.
Was an alright place to work at. Simple work responsibilities and the people were nice to be around. The tasks I was given to perform were simple and there was never a dull moment.
A good place to work in general but more focus required on transparency and care which are claimed to be core values. Can be very rewarding if one is able to find the correct role that matches their career aspirations.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Communications to front lines can be lacking.
I have enjoyed my time here at Hastings Deering and worked with some very genuine hard working people. I have learnt a to use RF gun to pick and stock warehouse and man it made the job a whole lot easier considering I'm use to the good old paper work . It was a very fast paced working environment and loved it very much . If I was offered to work for them again but in new location where I am now I would so in a heart beat .
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Discrimination in the work arena is something you must get use to. Some management do not approve of women in the work place which is largely male, this is due to the distraction element. Advancement is difficult because of this, concerns are ignored or made light of.
Communication was good with team mates.

I was never given opportunity to advance, even when it was obvious I could do more, management unreasonable and fostered the element of fear of losing your job to maintain mistakes from happening, but not correcting the real issues to stop mistakes. This caused the atmosphere of finger pointing to get out of things, or blame shifting to save self

Hastings has the potential of being great, if you could remove some of the Management
Pros
Paid well
Cons
You are just a number
This company was great to work for unfortunately due to redundancies there was too much pressure and workload put on existing workers which is why I left
The workplace environment is great, everyone is willing to help you with anything - team work is a big strength of theirs. With a great team you can achieve anything and they make sure you have everything under control to ensure the best outcome.
A very great firm to work with, most colleagues do know their job roles in and out.

A great family culture oriented environment to work in. Teamwork and team bonding BBQ and al that sort of staff is great.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
acceptable hours
The last 4 years we have been traveling Oz and working remotely and short contracts when at home. For 2018 we have decided to stay at home and now looking for 6 months + or longer term contracts.
You will go places if Company aligned and self driven. good employees at a local level. Has many different depts. within the organistion which is not easy to transfer between.
Hasting Deering you have a variety of work out doors and in doors.Mining Industry teaches you a great deal of where and what machinery can do for building infrastructure
Pros
free lunch
Always busy can ask any leading hands questions on any situation, friendly environment, relaxed environment, enjoyed working here.
Pros
making friends
Cons
lunch breaks
I have found Hastings Deering, and the people I work with, good fun as well as rewarding. The hardest part of the job is learning the new computer system whilst it is suffering teething problems. The most enjoyable would be the interactions with my workmates .... we all have fun with each other.
there is a strong belief that you only look out for yourself. magement have no idea on day to day workings. safety is a massive concern.