Herbert Smith Freehills
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Herbert Smith Freehills Employee Reviews

Australia12 reviews
Warm and friendly work environment.
Warm and friendly work environment. Forward thinking and collaborative environment.

Excellent IT facilities.

Varied socials for all employees within the firm.
Pros
Free fruit
Professional and enjoyable workplace
Herbert Smith Freehills was a professional and flexible workplace which provided many opportunities. It has a supportive culture for women in Business Services, and I enjoyed working there. Professional Support Law is a very rewarding career. It is challenging and flexible and a great career to have whilst raising children, as the hours are good. I enjoyed being part of a team and getting to know all the different areas of Business Services. I learnt a great deal about management and delegation and about Time management. It is also a very creative space to work in, which I found very satisfying. I also found helping other lawyers very satisfying.
Awful experience
Never really felt part of a team, management have their favourites and sweep bullying and issues under the rug. Felt very unsettled.
Job position and title kept getting changed? Nothing was really clear at all?

This firm may look glamorous from the outside, but it’s far from it once your chucked in the toxic culture.. never will I ever recommend this firm!
High Stress low reward
many of the staff believe that Herbertsmith Freehills was a great environment it had its short falls such as bad management and unrealistic project goals
Pros
Great perks
Cons
stressful environment
Productive workplace with friendly people
Answering calls from secretaries in relation to billing issues, updating client and matter details, creating matter plans and rate sets, reporting
I learned a lot about multi currencies and more detailed fee rate sets, ebilling

Management was approachable

Culture was friendly

Hardest part was travel

Most enjoyable was the team I worked with
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Travel
Professional yet mediocre workplace
Herbert Smith Freehills is a commercial law firm located on Castleraegh St in the Sydney CBD. The interior of the law firm building is very well presented & professional. My day at work consisted of collection calls & emails, updating a spreadsheet ledger, liaising with partners & their secretaries as well as following up on unidentified unallocated payments & working with the daily bank statement. The other team members were amiable & even helpful. It was a short term temp assignment so I was in & out in the blink of an eye.
Pros
Prestigious law firm
Cons
Glass ceiling
Great company to work for
Great working environment with excellent equipment and facilities.Fully supported in my role and always felt valued as an employee. Fun work culture with social events often and flexible in being able to take time off with proper notice.
Great team to work with, and management always available if needed.
Pros
Paid vacation, free gym membership, travel insurance, great alternate transportation facilities
Great first job in Australia
General Secretarial duties from document production to billing.

Team and training was world class.

People generally very friendly and helpful.

Position was a 12 month contract. This lapsed and a float position was available on a part-time casual basis.

I took this position until a full-time position became available elsewhere.
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Herbert Smith Freehills?
Worked with some amazing people.
I really enjoyed my position at Herbert Smith Freehills due to the variation in my working role as Office Service Assistant. Examples in duties are as followed
Reception duties, Courier control, Greeting of internal and external clients, Processing mail and sorting into pigeon holes. Assisting with stock control and maintenance of office equipment (OHS). Ordering of business cards and stationery.
Pros
Friends and colleagues
Cons
Some staff not thinking outside the square.
First Job in Australia
Fantastic opportunity to work for a large international law firm in an area that was new to me.

Picked things up very quickly and adjusted well.

Great team with active social calendar.

Lovely people but only a 12 month contract offered.

Returned as a casual float until a permanent job came along
Pros
Great first Australian Job
Cons
Only a 12 month contract offered.
Good IT team, with lots of projects to get involved in
A typical day for me, was management, maintenance and enhancing the virutal environment, SAN infrastructure, server hardware and DR / BCP processes. Each day was potentially all of these or only one.
This made the job very interesting and diverse.

We also have some datacentres around Sydney that would require site visits. This helped break up the day and also added a little more variety in the role.
Pros
Happy, enjoyable work environment. Autonomous work.
Cons
Long hours (remote work) coupled with varying degrees of stress.
Corporate and professional environment
Processing for the end to end payroll for the state of NSW.
Including advanced calculations of redundancies, payroll tax, superannuation, ad hoc reporting, end of month and day to day processing for the fortnightly and monthly payroll.

Learned Chris21 payroll system thoroughly.
Pros
Free gym, work drinks and casual Fridays
Cons
Limited career advancement