Higgins Coatings
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Higgins Coatings Employee Reviews

Australia8 reviews
Higgins was great to work for and their jobs varied so it wasn't a repetitive job like past employers. I feel the management are a little hard on their employees and can expect too much at times but the wages were above average and the workers were great to work with.
Worked there for just over 2 years and every week everyone is told they are paid too much and that if you dont work like your 2 people, they will get rid of you and find someone else.
WHS management should be review by authorities. Sales and revenue oriented, front line workers neglected and ignored. job expectancy no longer than a year.
the hours you do, far exceed the pay. work sun up to sun down, so theres no time for anything else in your life, so its not suited to a family orientated person.
Great company to work for
very professional

learnt a lot especially in the commercial construction field learnt a lot about large scale material orders and man management.
Pros
good wages
Cons
industry very fickle
Though I was working for a sub-contractor for this company, I feel as if that Higgins Coatings didn't care about sub contractors. The sub contractor I was working for regularly did dangerous and illegal acts.

The work days were long and far from home, no benefits were granted for tolls and 4 hours driving to and from job sites. The salary was below average for the work required. I would work 9-10 hour days 7 days a week with no penalty rates on Sundays and Saturdays. We were allowed only one day off a week, which would be Sunday but it was frowned upon. There was no work/life balance, either I worked when required or I had no job.

The boss didn't care for workers safety and work health safety, machinery was operated by workers who didn't have a licence for, for example a cherry picker and scissor lifts. No PPE was worn while this equipment was in operation. I was often forced to climb big extension ladders to the second step from the top with only two points of contact. Also using ladders in unsafe ways such as a ladder on very steep angles and unsafe surfaces. I once seen a co-worker fall off a extension ladder because it was placed in an unsafe way.

On Sundays at a particular job site, we would jump the fence onto Queensland Rail property, with no approval or permit to be on there property, just to complete a job. Also directing traffic on a busy main road with no permit or qualifications to do so, using foot paths for the cherry picker with no permit as well. Terrible. This was just so my boss could cut costs.

I could go on about the ridiculous stuff I and
 - more...
Pros
Cons
Long hours, No penalties, forced to do dangerous acts and illegal acts
Typical day at work was productive and hardworking
I learned alot more about the construction industry and the standards required

Management was Professional and fair

Co workers were all easy to work and get along with
Pros
long hours good wage rate
long days are needed to make a wage as there is not much money in the jobs , our supervisor is good and helps with what i need , management care more about bottom line more than staff unfortunately,the hardest part of the job is trying yto make a decent income as things are so tight financially for all quotes are low so contractors get less.
Pros
i have work
Cons
not enough money