Higgins Coatings Employee Reviews

Professional Company
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 April 2017
Great company to work for
very professional
learnt a lot especially in the commercial construction field learnt a lot about large scale material orders and man management.
Pros
good wages
Cons
industry very fickle
Not for the faint hearted
Brush Hand (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD7 February 2016
Though I was working for a sub-contractor for this company, I feel as if that Higgins Coatings didn't care about sub contractors. The sub contractor I was working for regularly did dangerous and illegal acts.

The work days were long and far from home, no benefits were granted for tolls and 4 hours driving to and from job sites. The salary was below average for the work required. I would work 9-10 hour days 7 days a week with no penalty rates on Sundays and Saturdays. We were allowed only one day off a week, which would be Sunday but it was frowned upon. There was no work/life balance, either I worked when required or I had no job.

The boss didn't care for workers safety and work health safety, machinery was operated by workers who didn't have a licence for, for example a cherry picker and scissor lifts. No PPE was worn while this equipment was in operation. I was often forced to climb big extension ladders to the second step from the top with only two points of contact. Also using ladders in unsafe ways such as a ladder on very steep angles and unsafe surfaces. I once seen a co-worker fall off a extension ladder because it was placed in an unsafe way.

On Sundays at a particular job site, we would jump the fence onto Queensland Rail property, with no approval or permit to be on there property, just to complete a job. Also directing traffic on a busy main road with no permit or qualifications to do so, using foot paths for the cherry picker with no permit as well. Terrible. This was just so my boss could cut costs.

I could go on about the ridiculous stuff I and
  more... my co-workers had to do but I don't think it would fit in this review.

Higgins Coatings isn't the main problem here, but as the company they were sub-contracting work to, as I was wearing there uniforms, they never checked that things were being performed correctly. Also not making sure the correct PPE and permits were on site.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, No penalties, forced to do dangerous acts and illegal acts
Great
Painter Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Mackay QLD.Auckland NZ3 February 2013
Typical day at work was productive and hardworking
I learned alot more about the construction industry and the standards required
Management was Professional and fair
Co workers were all easy to work and get along with
Pros
long hours good wage rate
good people, and have work
painting contractor (Current Employee) –  gold coast14 August 2012
long days are needed to make a wage as there is not much money in the jobs , our supervisor is good and helps with what i need , management care more about bottom line more than staff unfortunately,the hardest part of the job is trying yto make a decent income as things are so tight financially for all quotes are low so contractors get less.
Pros
i have work
Cons
not enough money